It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chornic Cat Allergies - Any known cure?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The only previous topic that comes to life after a search are these:
Cat Allergies? What Cat Allergies?
Anyone have ideas for curing / reducing cat allergies?

Neither which really solves or answers the question about getting rid of Cat Allergies, and since it has been a few years since those posts have been created and giving that we are in 2012, I thought we have come across new treatment/cure.

Now some interesting excerpts of what causes these allergies are:

Dogs and cats secrete fluids and shed dander that contain the allergens. They collect on fur and other surfaces. The allergens will not lose their strength for a long time, sometimes for several months. They appear to be sticky and adhere to walls, clothing and other surfaces.

Source

Cat allergen is produced in large amounts, particularly by male non-neutered cats as the allergen is partially under hormonal control. The dander is constantly airborne, sticky, and found in public places, even where there are no cats. This is due to the dander being carried on the clothing of people who have cats, then shed in public places. Therefore, cat allergen is a component of house dust, even in homes where a cat has never lived.

Source

There are several suggestions like:
The famous Hookworm - Can hookworms protect against allergies?
Hookworms May Treat Asthma And Other Allergies By Impacting On The Immune System and Can hookworms cure allergies?

The links presented above are also a bit aged and does not really help with the problem at hand still.
Alternative suggestions are buying a purifying machine, getting rid of the cat itself, and in some cases trying dried herbs.

I am seriously allergic to cats, to the point that if I spend 4 hours or more where they reside I am out cold for a month or more (I'm not kidding!!). It gets so bad that I can't breath properly (almost like asthma symptoms), my eyes do NOT get reddish, itchy, and neither does my nose. I don't get skin rush of any kind or itchy skin or anything like that. It is strictly my throat initially then the coughing starts, followed by cold like symtomps.

I have known friends of mine, friends of friends and so on, going through so many treatments and nothing works for them and they aren't as chornic as me.

You might be asking yourselves, why have I provided so much resource to my own problem? Simply, because none of the above works on me, I still feel like dying after so much treatment.

The only thing I haven't tried is Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Techniques

Over to you ATS:
Is anyone in here as chronic as me have done the NAET treatment? And if so, did it work?

Is anyone in here as chronic as me have done some treatment NOT mentioned above that actually works?

You see, a lot of my friends (Man/Woman) have Cats at their places and unfortunately I can't make it each time they have an event or anything that needs me to come to their places.

It is annoying sometimes because some may feel that I don't want to spend time with them, which is not true. Some understand me but sometimes THEY themselves can't come to my place because they need to shower outside my place and wear new clothes before enterting my place because even coming from their own place without changing hurts me!

Is there really a cure for this chronic cat allergies?
I need your help!

Once again, I provided some of the "alternative medicines" above so that they do not keep appearing in responses below.
edit on 23-4-2012 by TheEnlightenedOne because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-4-2012 by TheEnlightenedOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheEnlightenedOne

Well, I just googled cat allergy and learned something new anyway. Not much helpful info apart from "there are over the counter prescriptions available..." in the wiki article though.

Have you always had this condition?
Do kittens give the same reaction as adult cats?
Do you have allurophobia (fear of cats)?

Just trying to think along with you. The only (natural) cure I could imagine would be gradual and gentle tolerance build-up or total avoidance. I don't see taking a pill for the rest of your life as a real solution and given how many people have cats, avoidance could be hard or dictate who your friends are. Lots of nice people have cats.

I hope someone else here knows more.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
When I was very young ( a boy) I was very allergic to cats. I'd sneeze, my nose would run, my eyes would get red and itch and swell practically shut.

Somewhere along the way I grew out of it and as an adult I had a cat that slept with me for years until he died and it didn't bother me.

The same can't be said of my allergy to pollen. I tried the shots and those didn't work. I tried exposure, hoping to desensitize myself, but that didn't work. Now I take the pills and stay in as much as possible a few months out of the year - but I can't say they've changed much no matter what I've tried.

I hope your cat allergies go they way mine did. I honestly have no explanation why my cat allergy went away and my others didn't.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Have you always had this condition?
Do kittens give the same reaction as adult cats?
Do you have allurophobia (fear of cats)?

Lots of nice people have cats.

* As far as I remember I wasn't like this until about 15 years or so ago when it started.
* TBO I don't recall being around kittens, So I'm not sure if they give the same reaction.
* Nope, I don't mind cats at all if it wasn't for the fact on how they make me feel.

I'm telling you, most of the beautiful women I've met have cats! And I can't be around them!

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
When I was very young ( a boy) I was very allergic to cats. I'd sneeze, my nose would run, my eyes would get red and itch and swell practically shut.

Somewhere along the way I grew out of it and as an adult I had a cat that slept with me for years until he died and it didn't bother me.

The same can't be said of my allergy to pollen. I tried the shots and those didn't work. I tried exposure, hoping to desensitize myself, but that didn't work. Now I take the pills and stay in as much as possible a few months out of the year - but I can't say they've changed much no matter what I've tried.

I hope your cat allergies go they way mine did. I honestly have no explanation why my cat allergy went away and my others didn't.

I hope so too, it is frustrating knowing that I can't go to certain places because they own cats.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I just get the usual puffy eyes and itchy skin whenever cats or dogs for that matter get all up in my face.
Don't mind suffering for a bit. Who am I to deny a cat a cheek to cheek rub?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Allergic to my own cats here.
Used to be on allergy shots before being cat owner.
Have found that Zyrtec helps me. A lower cost generic brand ''Wal-Zyr'' I believe the name, can be found at Walgreens.

So sorry for your suffering. Who knows , you may be surprised for I am now keeping my allergies pretty much under control ..thankfully! I highly recommend.

edit on 24-4-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Allergies are such weird things. I have had dogs all my life. Then I adopted a dog with a difficult personality and suddenly found myself very allergic to him. I kept him all his life, though he seemed to like everyone better than me! When he passed, I got another dog of the same kind and that dog had a good personality and what do you know, my allergies went away. I wonder sometimes if there is a psychological component in some cases. I notice a lot of times people who say they are allergic to cats and/or dogs actually also dislike cats for other reasons and don't want to be bothered putting up with them.

I'm not saying that is even vaguely possible for you. I do not know you. But if you think there could be something in it, maybe hypnotherapy could work?

As far as over the counter remedies for my seasonal pollen and mold allergies, I use Zyrtec with no known issues. I have also tried Claritin and that worked fine for me, too. I tend to catch Zyrtec on sale more often which is why I went with it over Claritin.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Sorry to post flood but it's hard to edit via IPad. I found that what irritates me most, allergy wise, about cat ownership is not the dander, but the litter dust. Clay dust makes me as sick as you describe yourself being. I've read and heard many people on forums and in person make the same complaint. I have tried wheat based, corn based, and pine based and walnut based cat litters. Any one of those is fine for me. Walnut and pine pellets seem to produce the least airborne dust. My cats don't seem to care so I get any of those that are on discount at the time.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I am sorry you have such a pervasive allergy. My cousin is one of you. She takes rx allergy meds with her when she goes to someone's house with cats.

If you wanted to get your own cat, I know there are breeds that don't have the dander that upset your senses, but you can't replace your friend's cats, lol.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Have you tried homeopathy? Just a thought. It worked great for some of my problems. I'm sorry you can't be around cats. What a drag!!! I love cats.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

I too had cat allergies when I was young that I outgrew with much exposure. But she's not talking about red itchy eyes and such. She's talking about something much worse.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

get a dog lol
thats all i know
travis

top topics

join