It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bahrain and the big Formula.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
As most of you are probably aware, there has been civil unrest in Bahrain in the last year or so.
Spurred on by the "arab uprising" in nearby countries, many Bahranians have decided they also wish to have rights and not live under a totalitarian kingdom.

And this week is slightly different.
Formula 1 motor racing has come to town, for the fourth even in this years calendar. Last years event was cancelled due to that civil unrest, and although there was some talk of this happening again this year, the event goes on.

Notes...
1. The promoter of Formula 1, Bernie Ecclestone, has continually put money ahead of anything else and continually downplayed the brutal crackdown on protesters. "The only message I got was that there were some kids in trouble with the police."
2. A lot of the locals see the Formula 1 motor race as...
a) something to be hated, because it is a pet thing of the ruling family
b) a way of bringing attention to the world, since a lot of media are present. (F1 has a TV audience that is beaten only by the (soccer) World Cup and the Olympic Games)
3. Last night the Force India team encountered trouble on the way to the hotel. A molotov cocktail landed near their car and did its expected fireball job. After this, two of the team have gone home back to Europe. Members of the Sauber team have also seen some kind of incident.
4. Today, the first of two practise session has occured. The second practise session will be cut short by the Force India team so they can get back to their hotel before dark.
5. Big protests are planned (a few hours from now) around the time the second practise session finishes. The teams are expected to run into trouble on the way back to the hotels although massive security is also present.
6. There are almost no spectators at the track.
7. HEAPS of messages on twitter right now. More than I can read.

This thread isnt for any specific reason, just to let people know of a newsworthy event.

edit on 20-4-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
i think in a way the things going on over this weekend will have positive and negative results
i was in bahrain 25 yrs ago an 1 of the first things i noted was he gap between the lower middle and top classes..
it costs over a million to put just 1 car on the track,every race by the time all costs are factored in.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

no one cares about Bahrain because the west is friends with the monarchy, but it matters not because the Bahraini people will prevail!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
As much as I love F1 I really do not think the GP should go ahead.

All it will succeed in doing is glorifying a tyrannical regime that our government in the west panders to. Obviously the poison dwarf Bernie Ecclestone is going to want it to go ahead as the money factor will sway him no matter what the cost to the population of downtrodden.

I am pretty sure we will not see a F1 GP in Bahrain after 2012 and nor should we.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I'm sickened about this.

Every person attending that event is guilty. They're insulting the people of that country who are trying to fight for something better.

Every racer, every team, every sponsor is morally corrupt.

I hope that there is such a massive protest at the race this weekend it is forced to end and they lose millions. I hope Bernie personally loses out big time.

If I were in Bahrain right now I would be on my way to that track to tear down anything I could get my hands on, while sending a message to the rest of the world that the country is closed for corrupt business until the dictatorship is overthrown.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The F1 grand prix is a great opportunity for the protesters. Not a day has passed that we werent bombarded with news about Syria but not a word about Bahrain.

This is the most glaring example of the msm pandering to tptb.

This is most likely the only chance the poeple of Bahrain will have to get their message across.

I hope they have something big planned, something that the msm would be unable to hide.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I agree with you on that.

And i could say the same for Sen John McCain who has been ignoring Bahrain and peoples cries

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Here's a video of demonstrations taking place in Bahrain against the Government and the Grand Prix.

Just more double standards by the west. We only show opposition to corrupt kings and despots when it suits us.

new topics

top topics

join