It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanish king hunting elephants!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Is this even legal? He should be apologising for hunting elephants as much as saying sorry for hunting while Spain is in economic crisis
But seriously isn’t hunting elephants technically poaching?

story here
BBC news story

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ototheb85

He had a license. He was INVITED. He was conducting business that benefits the Spanish people negotiating future business deals. They do business this way when they are on that level. This is a distraction from the economic crisis. He informed the government that he was going.

He has a right to have a life. He has a salary he can spend however he pleases. Oh and hunters are the greatest protectors of the habitat they hunt in. Ask a hunter. It is legal since he had a license. They don't give them unless you can hunt for that animal. Like if you want to go deer hunting and the limit has been reached you don't get a license.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Not if it's on a reserve. I understand the concern but after learning about endangered species in Africa, and what HUNTING reserves have done to restore populations of many endangered species, I am now under the opinion that African hunting reserves are a good thing. Hunters having an interesting and being willing to PAY has given financial motivation for reserve owners to provide safe havens for these species, and allow some of their livestock to be hunted. These animals for the most part still live exactly as they would in the wild (they are still in the wild).

As far as him going on an extravagant vacation while his country suffers an economic crisis - that was kinda dumb.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ototheb85
Is this even legal? He should be apologising for hunting elephants as much as saying sorry for hunting while Spain is in economic crisis
But seriously isn’t hunting elephants technically poaching?

story here
BBC news story

Who should he apologize to? The elephants? I don't think that will get him very far.

Hunting elephants, or anything for that matter, with a paid license, is not poaching.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

Yeah the only reason people are going ape over this here is because he broke his hip and brought his long term mistress. All of which is his problem. If he hadn't broken his hip no one would care. They just want to jump on the rich people are bad band wagon. The Spanish monarchy is actually one of the poorest of Europe. He renounced allot of his wealth.

This guy is like a Lincoln of Spain. He kept it together during allot of troubling times. He even refused to be installed as the head honcho during the botched 1982 Spanish coup d'état attempt from the motor brigade of the civil guard. He is really hard working and commands allot of respect. I like him and hope he had a good time. He has been working harder than the president of the government.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
oh ok i didnt know, still its not nice they are inteligent things bless them

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ototheb85

it's cool. Allot of people don't really care in Spain. I like elephants too. Food for thought, the king is a patron of a wildlife charity.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

fair enought I guess many more animals and elephants are saved this way. still poor elephant lol

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
absolutely disgusting. If were up to me i put all hunters in one area without weapons and see how long they survive with me hunting them with a gun. 21st century and our so called leaders are still acting as barbarians. Words cant say how i feel about it but i can tell you physically if i ever met a hunter.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I hate that people can even argue about this. they are elephants, not deer, etc.. its not an animal population control necessity. or a "hunting to eat and survive" act. Its "hey, wouldn't it be exciting to hunt down and kill a living creature for fun?"
I understand that "money makes the world go 'round," that doesn't mean its ok.
Elephants are intelligent, sentient, emotional creatures.
It just sucks.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk... related to your op(sort of)

The 13-year-old grandson of Spain's King Juan Carlos is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the foot. Felipe Juan Froilan was doing target practice outside a family home north of Madrid when he misfired, injuring his right foot, Spanish media report. A royal spokesman said he had suffered "a minor accident". The boy was treated at a nearby hospital before being transferred to a clinic in the capital, the palace said.
so i guess the elephant may have had a 50/50 chance if his kid had been their either way bad week for the kings family

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Thanks for your input guys, defo a sad time :-( I felt bad when I sot a pigeon out a tree... since then I swore never to kill another thing.. (excluding the girlfriend) :-)

Regards Jay

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gemdog
I hate that people can even argue about this. they are elephants, not deer, etc.. its not an animal population control necessity. or a "hunting to eat and survive" act. Its "hey, wouldn't it be exciting to hunt down and kill a living creature for fun?"
I understand that "money makes the world go 'round," that doesn't mean its ok.
Elephants are intelligent, sentient, emotional creatures.
It just sucks.
That's kind of my position on it. I am not completely against hunting but I have a hard time accepting doing this to elephants. We know how intelligent they are and how bonded they are to each other. I have read that conservation of their habitat sometimes require culling them, but the same can be said of us. I guess it doesn't matter what I think anyway. It's not like I have any influence in the matter.

new topics

top topics

join