It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kindergartner handcuffed, taken to police station after allegedly throwing tantrum

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Please remain focused on the topic... do not post about other members and avoid 'characterizing' or 'attacking' others for their opinions.

Reminder: : Post about the OP topic not the other posters.
edit on 17-4-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I would have preferred she be taken to an emergency room for a "calm down" shot and evaluation, rather than placed in a holding cell. The child is obviously emotionally disturbed, or is developing a mental illness.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre
I would have preferred she be taken to an emergency room for a "calm down" shot and evaluation, rather than placed in a holding cell. The child is obviously emotionally disturbed, or is developing a mental illness.

And what if the parent refused that? What if she claimed "I have no insurance! No drugs for my child!" ?

Under the law the parent had no say and the child was removed from harming others...
W/out the law the parent (based on testimony in the article) would never have supported anything....she was "just having a bad day"...the parent in this article was in denial that she has a problem child.
edit on April 17th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

So you would prefer she was drugged?

I think some of you think this child was thrown in a dungeon.

Handcuffs do not have to be harmful. a 'holding cell' does not mean a dungeon.

Its more than likely if the police had to take her to the station,that the parents were MIA.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
reply to post by JayFlores

Is a child no longer allowed a 'CHILDHOOD' .

Children who misbehave now should be prepared to be taken 'downtown'.

Each day I read another story like this I am one step closer to getting off this planet.

The phrase 'heavan on earth' has always been a myth. We have created a hell on earth. Simple as that.

Clearly this childs actions were well outside a normal "childhood".

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

I am a father of 6 kids. Ages 22- 4. They all had/have a normal childhood and up bringing. This is not normal behavior. It is violent and destructive. If you dont instill some sort of crime and punishment techniques in a child they will fear no consequence for their actions.Most parents dont and thats why you have 14 year old murderers, rapists, robbers, etc.
I suppose your answer would be to allow your child to do whatever the hell they so choose and forget about the rules and laws of society?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I think that the parents of the child have a lot of explaining to do.

Why would a six year old be unable to control themselves at school?

Why would they think that it was appropriate to throw a tantrum to the extent that the police were called?

I think that the parents should be responsible for their child's behavior.

Clearly, this kid needs some help and if the parents can't provide the structure that the child needs then they should have to pay for professional help.

Out of control children should not be the responsibility of the school or the police.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
Teacher & principal - and whoever handcuffed -have LOT Of explaining to do.

Can parents SUE their child's school or the cops for all the damages/trauma?

I'd rather see the school sue the parents for an out of control child.

But then again, I think people who scream about sueing everyone are a bunch of dillholes.

Teachers and Schools are well trained to deal with a wide range of behavior from students. And nothing this girl did was out of the ordinary "range" of behavior, ie. temper tantrums occur. She is 5. That is very little. I know from having 5 boys what "little" and what "temper tantrums" is. Not only do I know this, but every preschool teacher, speech therapist and school teacher/therapist also knows. And they would never have phoned the police!!!!

The parents are the ones with the right to sue. Sure a bookshelf, but thats nothing.

Psychological damage, and the fear phobia this child will have of all police, in fact, such an event could cause severe developmental problems, including School Phobia, Cause Introversion and lead to lifelong disabilities.

Not joking, this is not something you subject any 5 year old child too.

Its child abuse, its OBSCENE.

Now while the average sue everyone mentality is shallow, when it comes to Government Services and Abuse of citizens by these supposedly trained professionals, SUING IS WHAT MAKES THE SYSTEM LESS CORRUPT!

edit on 17-4-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
When thinking about their kids parents usually think about happy/positive times.

Often when a parent gets interviewed after their child was killed in a gang shooting/something similar, the parents say something like "Billy was a good boy, he loved life and his family"

I know this case is different, but often parents try to avoid the blame for how their child acts, by saying things like "Oh, its a part of childhood, I did the same things when I was young" Which in fact is the cause of why it is happening again.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Unfortunately, sometimes medications are needed as a temporary solution to protect a child and others from their behaviors.
So, yes.

edit on 4/17/2012 by BellaSabre because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
nothing this girl did was out of the ordinary "range" of behavior, ie. temper tantrums occur.

And you base that assessment on..... what exactly?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Unfortunately, sometimes medications are needed as a temporary solution to protect a child and others from their behaviors.
So, yes.

I see. So drug the child instead of just restraining them.

link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

That fact that many people see having the police restrain an unruly six year old as acceptable shows its already too late to try and save the soceity.

I have dealt with many unruly children , unruly animals, unruly adults. You would expect one of the teachers in the school would have the social skills needed to take control of the situation.

I know I cannot change anyones mind on this matter.

I just find it very depressing that people find it acceptable for adults to put handcuffs on a child and place them in a cell. A six year old. So many leaping to defend this action. I cannot help you if you find nothing wrong with this action.

link   

So, yes.

edit on 4/17/2012 by BellaSabre because: (no reason given)

Can you answer my question??
What if the in denial mother refused?

Then what? What is the solution to handle a dangerous child? Giver her a snack?

link   

I believe you answered you own question with the parent statement of "not mine". The parents are ultimately responsible for their child's actions. The parents need to do the parenting. What needs to happen when the parents refuse to do the parenting or are not capable of parenting? Should the parents be required to attend parenting classes or family counseling? What if they refuse then? In the end of all this, it is the child that suffers because of the environment they were raised in. Is it the child's fault if this is all they know?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I find it funny that on the few words written in a report this child suddenly developed bad parents.. Why does anyone presume the parents or even the teachers are at fault in this? We are talking about a 6 year old child, there is nothing here to say this has been a continuing trend with this child, this may well be a one off incident, we just don't know, yet everyone here seems to have determined she has an unfit mother. If the school could not reach her, she may of well been at work, not all companies will allow the use of cell phones in the work place or allow people to accept personal calls.

I am sure the vast majority here who comment don't have children, temper tantrums are quite normal in young developing children I find it somewhat bizarre that the teachers did not solve this issue as it arose, but then I was not there and so cannot say it was unjustified in calling the police. However here in the UK this would not happen, a 6 year old in handcuffs put in the back of a cruiser, very strange.

But the most disgusting part of it all is the fact they are contemplating giving this child a criminal record for a temper tantrum. Seriously, how can you expect a 6 year old in a tantrum to have understanding of criminal law? Get the child help if needed, but criminal charges? Just barbaric. America really is going more and more backward

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

nothing this girl did was out of the ordinary "range" of behavior, ie. temper tantrums occur.

And you base that assessment on..... what exactly?

Mother of 5 boys, 4 special needs, 2 with physical aspects.

Long conversations with TEACHERS, SPEECH THERAPISTS, LEARNING ASSISTANTS, OCCUPATIONAL THERAPISTS.

My youngest son due to his Apraxia, both physical and verbal has school phobias.

No one in Canada, phones the police on kindergarden or elementary school children. And the teachers are very well trained.

I also took a child psychology course, and already knew everything in the text, in fact those kind of understanding was already in me.

If my own health wasn't compromized I could have held any of the positions of any of those I've dealt with, very well suited for those roles.

And this is absolute ABUSE OF THAT CHILD AND ALL CHILDREN BY AUTHORITIES.

IT WILL PROBABLY LEAD TO LIFELONG PROBLEMS. THE TEMPER TANTRUM WAS NORMAL, CHILDREN EXIBIT A NORMAL RANGE, IE. WHAT FITS ON A BELL CURVE.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
Teacher & principal - and whoever handcuffed -have LOT Of explaining to do.

Can parents SUE their child's school or the cops for all the damages/trauma?

I'd rather see the school sue the parents for an out of control child.

But then again, I think people who scream about sueing everyone are a bunch of dillholes.

Teachers and Schools are well trained to deal with a wide range of behavior from students. And nothing this girl did was out of the ordinary "range" of behavior, ie. temper tantrums occur. She is 5. That is very little. I know from having 5 boys what "little" and what "temper tantrums" is. Not only do I know this, but every preschool teacher, speech therapist and school teacher/therapist also knows. And they would never have phoned the police!!!!

The parents are the ones with the right to sue. Sure a bookshelf, but thats nothing.

Psychological damage, and the fear phobia this child will have of all police, in fact, such an event could cause severe developmental problems, including School Phobia, Cause Introversion and lead to lifelong disabilities.

Not joking, this is not something you subject any 5 year old child too.

Its child abuse, its OBSCENE.

Now while the average sue everyone mentality is shallow, when it comes to Government Services and Abuse of citizens by these supposedly trained professionals, SUING IS WHAT MAKES THE SYSTEM LESS CORRUPT!

That is crap! This is NOT normal behavior! This NOT a temper tantrum. I have a child....I know exactly what is normal and not. I know exactly what is a temper tantrum. My child would NEVER behave that way in public.

I have seen children flip out like this........one lives 2 doors down from me. The authority figure is in denial and the child has violent outburts...........the child is a danger!

I would bet a lot that this child has some abuse issues at home....either directly towards her or a parent.

And in regards to teachers knowing how to handle these kids. Not all if many are trained to handle kids like this. I have sat and talked to my daughter's teacher who has been teaching for a long time and had NEVER experienced a child punching other childen like he did! She was pretty upset to see such a thing happen.

I highly disagree.......

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by LevelHeaded

I believe you answered you own question with the parent statement of "not mine". The parents are ultimately responsible for their child's actions. The parents need to do the parenting. What needs to happen when the parents refuse to do the parenting or are not capable of parenting? Should the parents be required to attend parenting classes or family counseling? What if they refuse then? In the end of all this, it is the child that suffers because of the environment they were raised in. Is it the child's fault if this is all they know?

Ok. So if the parents refuse to do anything, then thier problem child should not be allowed to be amongst other children. Period.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

tried several times to get out of the office. Johnson was observed biting the door knob of the office and jumping on the paper shredder and attempted to break a glass frame above the shredder."

That isn't a normal temper tantrum. That's an out of control kid. It's a sad commentary on today's society that the police have to be called for the behaviour of a six year old girl. It's too bad corporal punishment isn't still meted out at schools but then the teachers, principal, school district and maybe even the state would be sued.

Her aunt said she was just having a bad day.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join