It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lack of Women in Math and Science

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I think that a lot of the reason you don't see girls in hard sciences and such has a lot to do with cultural gender biases that have more to do with soft skills. I can tell you from personal experience that there are certain skills that one needs to have a decent grasp on to succeed in higher math, like abstract thinking and problem solving.

But let's think about this. Abstract thinking and problem solving are the kinds of skills that boys are more developed in traditional male activities. Problem solving is a major part of repair work or hunting, majorly male activities. Abstract thinking is also more developed in things like sports or video games, both considered guy things.

I really think that this lack of girls comes from them simply not having the necessary neural makeup and soft skills to succeed because they didn't develop them.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

At least half of the students in my biology and chemistry classes have been female.

Sometimes it seemed like more women than men.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

There was a study published years ago about the rates of female college graduates actually getting jobs. It was low. I wish I could find the article but when I say low, it was really low like 10%. Eventually most female college graduates get married and have children, then they stop working and take care of the kids.

Let me clarify, they might still work outside the home but its not in the field of their degree. Let me also clarify, not every single woman with a college degree didn't get a job in said degree, after they had kids, they went back to being a mother because they could.

I'll tell ya what, I'd rather go to work than take care of even one kid. I'm not geared for it, women generally are more patient and caring.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Nonsense. Girls have just as much 'neural ability' to do math and critical thinking...
my daughter is about to get her master's degree from a well-known private college.

She got her Bachelor's in Science last June; she is an engineer. Been a whiz at math since she learned to count.

It has to do with temperament, exposure during youth, intelligence, learning style, and interest.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
I think that a lot of the reason you don't see girls in hard sciences and such has a lot to do with cultural gender biases that have more to do with soft skills. I can tell you from personal experience that there are certain skills that one needs to have a decent grasp on to succeed in higher math, like abstract thinking and problem solving.

Tell that to a single mother raising her children with a drunkard absent father on a very small budget. They can be very creative and think outside the box to make things stretch and meet their children's needs. Most People of either gender will rise to the occasion when push comes to shove IMO.

But let's think about this. Abstract thinking and problem solving are the kinds of skills that boys are more developed in traditional male activities. Problem solving is a major part of repair work or hunting, majorly male activities. Abstract thinking is also more developed in things like sports or video games, both considered guy things.

I read someplace once [Whether its true or not I cannot confirm but it made sense] The majority of females are actually better at Math and problem solving in the early years of their lives but later, as they grow and reach their mid to late teens their interests change [There are always exceptions] while males pick up the pace.

I've seen plenty of female CPA's and others in equally demanding career fields. Personally, I think it's a combination of things working against them. Mostly due to two factors. [There are always exceptions] Biological and Cultural. In most cultures around the globe females are not directed into certain fields by their families/friends. [There are always exceptions] and Biologically speaking, females have their biological clock ticking away and calling them to have children and raising a family which generally derails the time needed to apply themselves in developing a career in a demanding field [There are always exceptions]

I really think that this lack of girls comes from them simply not having the necessary neural makeup and soft skills to succeed because they didn't develop them.

Same as the above poster, I too have a daughter who is just under a year away from earning her dual degrees. If she chooses to later to raise a family full time at least we as parents have given her the tools and opportunity and supported her efforts towards obtaining her goals and she has the basic foundations to accomplish whatever she chooses to do with her life. That's her business....

top topics

join