It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just read this on Facebook, about God and Einstein.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I saw that on FB too, I've seen it through the years.
The first time I saw it the student was destroyed and the "teacher" won.
Back then it was attributed to someone relatively famous, other versions had the "student" going onto greatness as an atheist.

Somewhere down the line someone tacked on the extra bit where the "student" has a great retort.
Again it's been credited to many famous people.

As a student I can tell you the following from experience.
1. There are teachers who live to crush students for no reason other than the sport of it.
2. The overwhelming majority of teachers wouldn't not let the student get 1/4 of the way through the retort.
This is because the teacher would see they were about to be challenged and even if the challenge fails most can't even tolerate their brilliance questioned.
The only professor I've ever had that welcomed challenges from any and everyone was my Philosophy: Logic professor.
He enjoyed a good debate and even being corrected if you could pull that off.

My point is just reading this you should be able to see it's a fake if you have ever dealt with a professor, or someone with an ego power over you.

What I don't get is why the original was made and even the retort.
I get playing Devils Advocate I do it all the time, I find debate interesting and you can't have a debate if you are both on the same side.
I don't get why people have to force their belief structures on others though.
Both the religious and secular do this.
Is someone is secular and believes there is no God, that does not hurt the religious person.
If someone is religious and believes in whatever God they believe in, it does not hurt the secular person.
At the end of the day you will believe what you believe.

Seeking debate is a good thing I recommend it actually.
In order to grow and change we must challenge our views.
Entering a debate or challenging our views is a personal decision though.
So why do both sides of this social schism have to force their views on those who don't want their personal views challenged?

<< 1  2   >>

join