It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cell [WRC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I started out as one singular entity, though an entity which was unlike any of the others. Whether I had always been this way, or whether something had influenced me, changed me somehow in my former years is a question I do not think even I will ever know.

But I was different, and I was greedy. I wanted more than any of the others was not content to simply ‘take my place’, to act out the role chosen by destiny for me in the natural equilibrium of all things. But I was one back then, and it could do very little by myself. However being different and wanting more than one’s fair share is something which is not uncommon in this world. Soon enough my influence began to spread.

We began firstly as just a tiny cluster, like a small droplet of oil upon a sea of those who did not question their role in living for the greater good. It was at this we were discovered and the system itself began to fight back. It was still healthy then few of the other others even recognized there was a problem. Those outside of the system, healers and the like also fought and their efforts were indeed felt. They cut us away with instruments of steel, poisoned us and used other technologies against us. Occasionally they even appeared to be winning. Our numbers were decimated and all signs of disharmony would vanish. But the tendrils of my influence had spread too far and other parasitic clusters began to form, growing larger and spreading further; gaining strength and nourishment off the very facilities which we slowly destroyed…

RIP Danielle Elise Ecklestone
23/06/1974 – 15/04/2012
Breast Cancer

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Sorry for the depressing tale but I just thught I'd try something different and put a bit of a twist on this months competition topic, as it would be (for better or worse lol) just be too easy for me to write about being the ruler of the world.

I thought I'd kee this one minimalistic just to add to the impact at the end. I don't expect anyone to actually like the story, nor did I write it to attempt to win this comp. But what I'm more interested in is your opinions and criticisms of the way the story itself was written. More to the point, was it effective in conveying the the obvious desired effect....

Cheers for reading - 1littlewolf

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

Aptly named title, and once I applied it to the content of the story, the whole meaning of your story became quite clear.

You approach the topic of "Cancer" from the cancer's perspective, and what other disease works so hard to corrupt the rest of the whole system? Indeed, it is a battle, and one very hard to win. In fact, the term "remission" gives a false hope of being cured, knowing that there's a danger lurking behind your very cellular structure, ready to betray you at any given time.

Interesting twist, SnF, and well written. I think the brevity of your story contributes to your ability to invoke the emotions you were trying to produce, condensing your thoughts into a brutal recognition of how relentless a horrible disease can be.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
It's actually a little chilling to read it put that way, as we all know of someone who has suffered the ravages of cancer or lost someone to it's many forms.

Well written, thought provoking. S&F.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by 1littlewolf

Aptly named title, and once I applied it to the content of the story, the whole meaning of your story became quite clear.

You approach the topic of "Cancer" from the cancer's perspective, and what other disease works so hard to corrupt the rest of the whole system? Indeed, it is a battle, and one very hard to win. In fact, the term "remission" gives a false hope of being cured, knowing that there's a danger lurking behind your very cellular structure, ready to betray you at any given time.

Interesting twist, SnF, and well written. I think the brevity of your story contributes to your ability to invoke the emotions you were trying to produce, condensing your thoughts into a brutal recognition of how relentless a horrible disease can be.

Thanks for your input Druid. My life has taken a bit of a busy twist of late and as such it came out pretty short and to the point.

Originally I was it was going to interweave it with the POV of the victim and trying and cut back and forth from her life as a human (the cancer of the Earth). But yeah, a part from a few grammatical errors which my OCD mind has since found (I normally have to hold off submitting a story/thread for a day or two as I never see my errors initially) I am pretty happy with the result.

Originally posted by 74Templar
It's actually a little chilling to read it put that way, as we all know of someone who has suffered the ravages of cancer or lost someone to it's many forms.

Well written, thought provoking. S&F.

Cheers Templar. That's basically all I wanted to achieve. I am a very contented relaxed guy and what I really wanted to do was see if I actually had it in me to write something 'chilling'...... And, for whatever reason cancer was the first thing I thought of when I read this months topic.

new topics

top topics

join