It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smaller, Quicker, Secret, Robotic: Inside America’s New Space Force

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I was browsing the Wired pages today, and found this article;
www.wired.com...

It goes into detail about the recent and current efforts in satellite technology, and mentions the X-37b, the new reusable mini-Shuttle.

Tiny satellites, including relays, orbital cameras and other sensors, aren’t the only “faster-better-cheaper” tech transforming the American space force. So-called “pseudolites” — that is, relatively inexpensive robots, planes and airships operating in the very-high-but-not-quite-orbit upper atmosphere — are rapidly proliferating and taking the place of some old-school satellites. The “smaller-is-better” space revolution wasn’t inevitable. It resulted from a complex interplay of politics and economics, plus a chain of engineering crises that claimed some careers and even a few lives. What follows is a brief recent history of America’s space force from the end of the Cold War to today, with a glimpse into the future as old spacecraft waste away and smaller, quicker, cheaper and more robotic systems take their place.

I found it a very interesting read, what do you think?
edit on 5/4/2012 by royspeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by royspeed

Read the first 2 pages...I'll check the rest out later on tonight but a good read so far.

thanks for posting.

join