It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did anyone else notice the moon towards the end of the month?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Just to give background info. on this i live in south eastern Indiana and i work nights. During the phasing of the moon (new moon) at the end of last month my coworkers and myself noticed that part of the moon was missing from view shadowed. Not the part that causes the crescent effect earth's shadow but at the bottom there was a second shadow cutting the bottom part of the visible crescent. We checked at different times and days and it was noticeable every time. We were trying to rule out clouds and other effects that may have been causing it to appear this way. So did anyone else see this too? i looked on line to see if there was some odd eclipse during the new moon in march but didn't find anything. If anyone knows what caused it to appear this way I'd like to know thanks.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I watch the sky often, and everything looked normal from my location (a thousand or so miles west of you) - Can you post pics so we can see what you're talking about?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

well i drew a picture in paint how can i post that?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I watched the sky quite a bit towards the end of the month because of the spectacular display of Venus and Jupiter and the crescent moon, as I'm sure thousands of others did. Can't say I saw anything odd though. Sorry.

ETA: You didn't take any photo's but you drew a pic in paint??

Hmmm k

edit on 4-4-2012 by HighMaintenance because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by buddybaney

You saw this on different times during the course of several days, but yet you did not snap even a photo of it??
Everyone has a camera of sort these days, so why the heck did you or your friends not take a picture?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Eh, not everyone has a camera that is even capable of taking decent night pics.

A cell phone or low quality point and shoot image would have drawn criticism anyway.

May as well post your rendition, at least we can check for what you've seen when the moon comes out.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by juleol

well my camera phone blows and wont take pics at night but i linked a drawing

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

well like i was saying we figured it was kind of atmospheric illusion but after 2 nights seeing the same bottom portion shadowed made me wonder a little. thought maybe someone might know what caused it was all why i posted to general chit chat

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

The Flying Spaghetti Monster got hungry for cheese and took a bite out of the moon.

Mystery solved.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Here's just one vid of the moon taken on the 27th March, looks normal to me.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by HighMaintenance

this is why i gave my location
im sure the latitude and longitude would effect what we saw the town is connersville indiana im sure the lat and lon is listed for it somewhere

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Hello,
I'm a long time lurker on ATS, but after seeing this thread I decided to create myself an account and contribute with a pic I took of this strange phenomenon.
On March 31, I was at home working on my computer, and at one point I looked out the window. The sky was clear, and I could see some tiny stars blinking here and there. Then I looked at the Moon, and I noticed something off with its the lower side. To make sure my eyes were not deceiving me, I grabbed my camera and zoomed in. It seems there is an artifact cutting off the corner. I've been puzzled about it since then, and when I saw this topic I thought it kind of resembled what I have seen and I thought I'd share.

This was taken on March 31, northern Spain (Sorry for the poor quality, it is an old cam):

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Chibbols

more or less what we saw the crescent was smaller but the bottom visible part had that circular cut out like that at the bottom thanks now does anyone know what caused it
thanks for the photo

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

perhaps it is the planet like object i saw thrue my scope at about the ten oclock location of venus.the celestial body i saw was a dark brownish,with black cloud like spots in it. some light was reflexting off of it.at first it was fainth but when i changed the lens,it came to vew much clear.to the none believers,lol,save it,i was already ridicule for my info.and no,it wasnt jupiter,since i was seeing jupiter at the 5 oclock of venus.believe what ever you wish,i stand by what i saw.
what else could cast a shadow like that on the moon?
edit on 4-4-2012 by bumpufirst because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This guy went past some time on April 1st,

2012 EG5 Apr1 0.6 LD -- 59 m but that is only one day, and not likely to interfere with the view anyway. Again, even if there was a small Lunar eclipse, that would be a transient event, although it could possibly explain the photograph, but not the OP.
edit on 4-4-2012 by smurfy because: Text.

top topics

join