It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nikki Haley (South Carolina Governor): ‘Women don’t care about contraception’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Nikki Haley: ‘Women don’t care about contraception’
By David Edwards
Tuesday, April 3, 2012 13:51 EDT
The Raw Story

She may have misspoke as she seemed to be comparing "contraception" to "economic conditions" in general.

Republican South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley on Tuesday said that the Obama administration had made a mistake by mandating that health insurance cover birth control because “women don’t care about contraception.”

During an appearance on ABC’s The View, co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck asked Haley how conservatives could make the case that Republicans represent the interest of women.

“All of my policy is not based on a label,” Haley remarked. “It’s based on what I’ve lived and what I know: Women don’t care about contraception. They care about jobs and the economy and raising their families and all of those things.”

Maybe it was the "question" ?

They also discussed the Confederate Flag.

There is a video of the show in the article.
She starts the "contraception" discussion around 6:00.
And seems to emphasize "economics" rather than "contraception".

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Contraception may take a back seat to jobs and the economy in South Carolina because they have a female Governor with veto power to protect them. In other states however, women's reproductive rights are under attack, making it a much bigger issue.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Vixen~

Contraception may take a back seat to jobs and the economy in South Carolina because they have a female Governor with veto power to protect them. In other states however, women's reproductive rights are under attack, making it a much bigger issue.

I agree.

It is localized.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Most moderate to conservative women agree with the republican line in regards to government funded contraceptives. Heck, female birth control is dangerous to women, as it causes them to be attracted to males they wouldn't be attracted to if they where off the pill(male birth control doesn't have this problem and is more reliable too).

That is the thing liberals/leftist's/feminist's either don't understand, or don't want to understand: Conservative Traditionalism is mostly a Matriarchal thing. And these gal's have their own self agency(more so then Conservative Traditionalist men), their own agenda that they seek to follow.

In order to understand this all, you must start by going to the beginnings of the gender war(or as I call it "the war between women"): The rise of the Mothers of the Republic, Conservative Traditionalist women's rights movement.

The reason why feminist's are so confused with what is going on, is because they have been fighting a war so long they forgot who their enemy was. That is why they are doomed to failure.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

The only reason why contraception might be an issue this election is because Obama keeps screwing with us, the Constitution, and the economy.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
thats just politicing and trying to brand herself, complete bullcrap and out of touch with REAL people.

I hate when they try to generalize people like that.

Like there aren't any intelligent women out there....YEAH OKAY NIKKI HALEY, def not one of them are ya?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Haley is sadly mistaken.

But hey, let the governor of a backwoods southern state speak for the whole of this country.

I can't think of a better example to illustrate just how much partisan politics have divided the U.S.
edit on 4-4-2012 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Maybe it was the "question" ?

The question is no doubt a loaded one, and Haley seems to begin wisely but ultimately stumbles. I long for the day when politicians will answer a loaded question like that in this way:

I have an obligation to the People which include both women and men and under the eyes of the law they are equal.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

You have no scientific nor societal evidence to prove what you just typed.

You are part of the problem, not the solution.

Nikki Haley should worry more about creating jobs, etc and less about controlling the lives of people.

Why is it that the freedom crowd is often the anti-abortion crowd as well?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Contraception is a NON-ISSUE. People should not care about it, because it's not the federal government's business what a woman wants to do with her body. It is especially not the business of a panel of idiotic, religious, republican men.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
complete bullcrap and out of touch with REAL people.

For her to basically say that women are more interested in the economy and jobs ... rather than Obama trying to push through employers paying for contraception ... that somehow makes her out of touch with REAL people?
Really? I thought she was spot on .... I would think that most people are more interested in getting/keeping a job and having an income rather than talking about birth control.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
No one likes to be told what they do or don't care about.

The GOP just don't "get" women...not even the women in the GOP "get" women.

I'm half surprised she didn't say something like "women are concerned with aprons and mops."

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
I'm half surprised she didn't say something like "women are concerned with aprons and mops."

No .. she basically said that women are more concerned with the economy and jobs.
That's just soooooooo backwards of her to say, eh? (sarcasm)
Seriously .. did you guys on the left read what she said or did you just read the headline?

top topics

join