It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even worse than SOPA: New CISPA cybersecurity bill will censor the Web

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Here's Anonymous - "CISPA Worse than SOPA" u-tube video, explaining their view on this proposed legislation.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
We elected them.
We deserve it.
We can unelect them.

They make you believe you voted for them
They make you feel that it is your fault and you deserve it.
We cannot get rid of them as we have tried.

No votes matter, look at what happened with Bush in the election before last, his brother rigged the machines in florida, as a result he won.

Now Ron Paul is going through the same thing, they are losing his votes and lying on the MSM, and acting as if he doesn't even exist, when clearly there has been evidence otherwise, to prove that he was on top by a long shot.

We have had the same old, microwaved dinners in America for as long as I can remember, and Hillary DOES look microwaved. The Bush's , Romney, Dick Cheney, Obama is new...but no different, possibly worse. It's always the same old blood related abusers of the system.

I have been told since birth...eat a healthy breakfast and study hard because anyone in America could be President. This is all a load of crap! I have been watching politics for over 20 years and I find it hard to believe that out of 300 million plus people in the states that it is just irony that the same old ugly faces keep popping up over and over, year after year...and most are blood related. We've been trying to get rid of these devils for some time now. Obviously they have a different agenda.

So I will have to disagree with you and state that I think 100% of what you said is wrong.
edit on 7-4-2012 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

I decided to do a review of the main news sites on the internet to look for reporting on this bill and well yes not on any front page news at all. (yahoo / google / msnbc/bbc/skynews / abc / fox / cbs / associated press / npr / bing ...so this time it appears according to the story in the Huffington Post and Digital Times that we do not have big players backing us this time.

"Unlike SOPA, the new CISPA has support from big-name players like AT&T, Verizon and Facebook. Whereas its predecessor put companies at risk for subscriber activity, CISPA rewards companies for collecting data, intercepting or modifying communications, and handing information over to the government."
www.huffingtonpost.com...

And Digital Trends... with it's bleak prediction, which given the above information makes it seem more likely that they will pass this law.
"And yet, I can’t shake the feeling that the Internet community will lose this battle, that CISPA will pass — that there will be no blackout, this time around."
www.digitaltrends.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by daveyboy1991

I've already signed the protest petition.

Her's where to go:

Petition

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBlackman

Your link fails.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Ron Paul speech on the loss of liberty .. previous post link was bad

www.youtube.com...

edit on 7-4-2012 by AliceBlackman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Take this CISPA plus the new "killshot" Windows PC computers being made as of now, and you have the "long arm of the law" reaching through the Interwebs, into your computer, and basically typing your forum replies for you, deleting things it does not agree with, and possibly even breaking your computer from a distance. This edits free speech online, using the computer as a medium. They don't necessarily keep you from speaking, but they keep your computer from working for you.

The only time I would accept this is if the voting public could get into their leaders' offices, rifle around the file cabinets, sit in the chair and spin it around, thumb through the agenda, go through all the drawers and read all the memos, take a few bucks from the petty cash box, put their feet up on the desk, order a pizza with all the trimmings over the phone, charge it on the company account, make a few 900 calls, charge it on the company account, spill coffee on the rug, accidentally break the antique vase on the shelf, and sexually harass their personal assistants.

That is what the government is trying to do to the public without the public's knowledge. We should reciprocate that freedom with every "yea" sayer that makes this bill happen. My computer is something like my office. It's trespassing. Government troll bill needs the nay.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sandalphon

Exactly. We can't take this lying down...we have to have a voice. We have to defend our virtual freedom.

If we let the government have an inch, it will take a mile. We can't hesitate. We have to speak out. That's the only way we'll be heard.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Make no mistake about it, this is more about WHO controls what you see than controlling WHAT you see at this point. The decisions and mergers controlling WHERE you see it happened months ago.
If you haven't read George Orwell's book "1984" yet I suggest you do so pretty quick (an actual paper copy, not an e-book or the crappy movie) so you have a better idea where this is heading.
DOOM.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
Make no mistake about it, this is more about WHO controls what you see than controlling WHAT you see at this point. The decisions and mergers controlling WHERE you see it happened months ago.

Exactly, but when you look at other countries who have protests on a mass scale until they actually achieve something i have to say i cant see it happening in the USA/UK etc unless the internet is actually shut down. Too many people would just accept their freedoms being taken away in smaller chunks so its not one hit.

One thing though, us youths regard the internet as a part of us and without it there would be one big blacklash

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

The latter without a shadow of a doubt...

Originally posted by Sandalphon
Take this CISPA plus the new "killshot" Windows PC computers being made as of now, and you have the "long arm of the law" reaching through the Interwebs, into your computer, and basically typing your forum replies for you, deleting things it does not agree with, and possibly even breaking your computer from a distance. This edits free speech online, using the computer as a medium. They don't necessarily keep you from speaking, but they keep your computer from working for you.

The only time I would accept this is if the voting public could get into their leaders' offices, rifle around the file cabinets, sit in the chair and spin it around, thumb through the agenda, go through all the drawers and read all the memos, take a few bucks from the petty cash box, put their feet up on the desk, order a pizza with all the trimmings over the phone, charge it on the company account, make a few 900 calls, charge it on the company account, spill coffee on the rug, accidentally break the antique vase on the shelf, and sexually harass their personal assistants.

Took the words right outta my mouth... I liked the bit about voters getting to trample their offices haha. But seriously this point is being pressed so hard because they need this power in order to fully control the public's reception of media.

edit on 13-4-2012 by slayer420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by daveyboy1991

The internet is the last bastion of free speech on earth, the place where humanities joint conciousness is able to discover, learn and grow, where there are no bounderies or restrictions to what we do, say, see, or read, and under the guise of annonymity even more so.

This new act and others like it are not only striving to censor certain things, that we as individual free thinking people, have a right to know of (under the banner of freedom of information and speech), they are leading to a controlled, biased, propoganda filled internet where we are fed what they want us to know (just like the msm is at present), where if we disagree with them we are terrorists and criminals.

edit on 15-4-2012 by WhoWhatWhy because: .

edit on 15-4-2012 by WhoWhatWhy because: .

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I just said this in another thread, maybe I should make a thread or a petition lol. It's time for a Constitutional Amendment protecting our free access to the internet. Maybe a lawyer could draft up a petition that makes sense. Otherwise they're just going to keep coming up with Bills.
edit on 15-4-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Thought I'd give this one a bump since the bill is apparently getting eyes on it this Monday. Maybe the late-night Google search comment from the video will scare a few folks into paying attention.

Goodbye Privacy - Hello CISPA

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Why CISPA?

To provide for the sharing of certain cyber threat intelligence and cyber threat information between the intelligence community and cybersecurity entities, and for other purposes.

thomas.loc.gov...:2:./temp/~c112xUPvD4::

Yet... (emphasis below is mine)

Sec. 1104. (a) Intelligence Community Sharing of Cyber Threat Intelligence With Private Sector-

`(1) IN GENERAL- The Director of National Intelligence shall establish procedures to allow elements of the intelligence community to share cyber threat intelligence with private-sector entities and to encourage the sharing of such intelligence.

I find that particularly troublesome.

You see, the "private sector" is the corporate underpinning of the military industrial complex... you know... the "corporate" government that has been preying on our country for the better part of a century.

For the longest time they have had to risk exposure to participate in governance, especially int he intelligence field... now the final embrace comes where the private sector will become indistinguishable from the government itself. Ad of course, they will have security force to apply now that they are 'sanctioned' by "security entities" in the intelligence community... all for what... "to protect us?" I don't think so. And even then, if so, to protect us from what? Script kiddies? Anarchistic "hacktivists"? No again.

This is about a secret war being waged on a global scale in the virtual theater of the internet. And this legislation is about insulating the corporate players and making it - once again - increasingly profitable for them.

Note the perennial verbiage of the corporate/government creep.... (fascism here we come)

"Notwithstanding any other provision of law..."

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by daveyboy1991

Now with CISPA replacing the SOPA bill to control the internet. This bill would give companies the power to collect information on their subscribers and hand it over to the government and all they have to do is request it.

I really can't see them giving up with this with so many different attempts to get this bill passed, you have to ask why is it so important to pass a bill that the citizens are so against?

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Would it GIVE companies the power to collect information, or COMPEL them to?

I'm interested in that aspect.

ISPs already have the power to collect information on you, giving them such would be fairly pointless.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
As has been mentioned but largely ignored, it doesn't matter how many of us little peons get pissed at this current bill, sad reality is that the bill has been amended so that the folks at sites like Wikipedia and so on, are no longer annoyed by this and will find no reason to protest it. So yeah, a few piddly internet polls against this current bill will not be hitting the MSM in the same way as Wikipedia etc, shutting down for a day or two in protest.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
We elected them.
We deserve it.
We can unelect them.

George W Bush passed PATRIOT - the precursor the bills such as this, and Americans thanked him by RE ELECTING him.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
A buddy of mine posted this vid on his Facebook about CISPA. I didn't see it in this thread so I thought I would post it. Don't know how to embed so heres the link.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 24-4-2012 by Maxmars because: Here you go!

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
On Thursday, Congress is scheduled to begin consideration of H.R. 3523, the "Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act of 2011" (CISPA).

Es urgente que usted se cerciora de su de los votos del miembro del Congreso; "no" en H.R. 3523.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join