It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35 $1.51 trillion 1/3 Expected in Inflation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
F-35 $1.51 trillion 1/3 Expected in Inflation

Just caught this having an interest in aviation and what may or may not be at this years air show that I attend., In an optimistic mood I thought I'd check out the latest development of the F-35 Lighting II and read this on the Lockheed Martin website.

www.f35.com...

March 30, 2012 - As recently reported, the Office of the Secretary of Defense issued the 2011 F-35 Selected Acquisition Report (SAR) to Congress, which updated the total cost estimate to develop, build, operate, upgrade and maintain all aspects of the F-35 program and its military support infrastructure for the next 55 years. Lockheed Martin remains confident that F-35 operations and support costs will be comparable to or lower than that of the seven legacy platforms that it will replace and our statement on the Selected Acquisition Report may be found below, including answers to frequently asked questions.

Today, the Office of the Secretary of Defense issued to Congress the 2011 F-35 Selected Acquisition Report (SAR). It included estimates of the total cost to develop, build, operate, upgrade and maintain all aspects of the F-35 program and its military support infrastructure for the next 55 years. The total estimated costs, including adjustments for anticipated inflation—which represent more than one-third of the total—is $1.51 trillion.

* My Take
* I am not a U.S taxpayer.

I understand that this is a projected look at the total cost for the program and is over a very long time 55 years in fact. However it does seem that in our modern world we are just getting a little too used to seeing these sorts of numbers in our everyday lives. I honestly remember a time when I was young and thought a trillion was just a daft made up number. Now it's being associated with a fleet of USAF asset's.

I would try and get into whether it's money well spent but I'm afraid I really couldn't answer as I'm certainly no expert on these matter's. What I do I know is that anybody who does know anything about defence contracts will understand that projects rarely come in on or under budget, so what the actual cost will be is really anybody's guess.To put it simply I find the figure simply astounding 55 years or not.

And just when taking in the cost I read that $500billion plus has been set aside as expected with inflation.The World could be dramatical different place in 55 years even in 5 but this just seems a very pragmatic glimpse at future economics. It's more than a third of the total cost!

I will admit there's no real conspiracy here other than why my air-show tickets go up each year.... but it shocked me and thought it may do one or two of you.
edit on 31-3-2012 by Skippy_dhc because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Mods I originally posted this in the introduction forum and was deleted as I had only made 19 posts at the time. I have now reposted after making 20 posts on ATS, however when not logged in the only thread I can find is my deleted one which cannot be commented on. If you read this could you advise me on how to get this post view-able to the rest of the community as I feel it has value. Many thanks.

join