It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Numerology in The Hunger Games?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I'm sure we're all well aware of The Hunger Games and its popularity. While there are plenty of topics regarding this book and movie which would be worthy of discussion, I wanted to bring something up that I noticed. I know a lot of people on ATS are interested in numbers and numerology so I thought I would post some information I've discovered and see what people think.

I'm not trying to promote any sort of theory or agenda, I'm simply sharing information. Here goes:

I took a look at a few numbers which seem to appear, or even reappear, throughout the book and movie. This is what I found with only a few minutes of research.

Possible Spoilers!

There are originally 13 districts, one is destroyed that leaves 12

Katniss and Peeta are from District 12

Her young friend is from District 11

There are 24 children chosen for the games, that's 2 X 12

11 of the 24 children are killed on the first day, that leaves 13

The two main characters are the only children left alive, that means that 22 children are killed throughout the book.

I then took the names of some of the main characters and ran them through some numerology name calculators. Here's what I got:

Katniss: There are 7 letters and their total is 21. If we reduce this further (which we don't usually with 21) we get 3

Katniss Everdeen, her full name, comes out to 9, with 6 vowels and 9 consonants.

Peeta Mellark: There are 12 letters which add up, according to numerology, to 11

I'm normally rather skeptical when it comes to things like this but I do find it rather odd that these numbers seem to play such a prominent role in the book and movie. Since this is a conspiracy site, I thought it would be interesting to see what others think.

Given that this series is so popular and seems to be so successful and winning over new fans, perhaps there is something to this?
edit on 29-3-2012 by Shadowflux because: fixed typo

edit on 29-3-2012 by Shadowflux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

Deny Ignorance. There is nothing to see here.

For real, move on. This is kinda crazy-talk.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
How about a *SPOILER ALERT* warning?

Sheesh.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColAngus
How about a *SPOILER ALERT* warning?

Sheesh.

Happily added

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorLonghair

Deny Ignorance. There is nothing to see here.

For real, move on. This is kinda crazy-talk.

The line between "crazy" and "not crazy" in the field of conspiracies is very very thin.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Shadowflux,
This is a very cool thread! And disregarding the prior posts, I do believe this is a very cool idea which I happened to notice, also. Almost all of those numbers you listed I have been studying or pursuing lately..I love that your brain picks up on numbers thrown at you too. I do believe such a great writer and book wouldnt lazy and random about picking the numbers used. I believe all numbers portray some meaning. Thanks for posting your cool idea, I find this fascinating and can't wait to hear if anything cool comes about from studying the numbers!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Katharos62191

Thanks for your appreciation.

Like I said, this is what I found with only some short research. I had originally gotten the numbers from the plot synopsis on Wikipedia. When I looked it over I noticed the numbers. On a whim I ran the names through the calculator and saw the trend continued. That's when I really took notice.

It does seem, at least to me, to be far too odd to be entirely coincidental. These numbers are fairly significant in Numerology.

I'll try to do a bit more research and see what else I can find.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Here's a really quick update:

I checked the number for "Panem" which is the name of the country in the book and movie.

Panem comes out to 22

"Mockingjay" is the name of the bird on the cover of the book

Mockingjay comes out to 9

Primrose is the main character's sister

Primrose Everdeen comes out to 11

I'll keep looking into this and if I find anything more I'll make sure to post it here.
edit on 29-3-2012 by Shadowflux because: added the Primrose note

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Here are a couple more that I've found:

Gale Hawthorne - 11

Cato - 12

Clove - 21

Foxface - 33

Thresh - 33

Gloss - 9

Cashmere - 9

Enobaria - 11

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Hello Shadowflux. I just watched the film version and thought I'd share some things I noticed about the numbers in the movie.

Spoilers!!!

• 12 Districts = 12 Tribes of Israel
Twelve Districts would essentially be offering sacrifices, known as Tributes.

• 74th Annual Hunger Games
In Numerology:
Jesus = 74
Lucifer = 74
And according to this site: Riding the Best, the words 'suffer' and 'demon' are each used 74 times in the Bible.

It seems to me that the 'Hunger Games' is using numerology and symbology to allude to the savior of Jesus Christ as played by Katniss Everdeen.

From the 12 Tribes of Israel, a Messiah (74-Jesus) emerges into a world of suffering (74) in a selfless choice of self-sacrifice in order to bring hope and peace into the world.

• The 'Hunger Games' arena represents Jesus' temptations in the wilderness.

• Hunger Games = Man shall not live on bread alone
Represented by the choice of the protagonist Katniss to rebel against the system of authoritize support in favor of doing what is morally right.

• Peeta Mellark, the male tribute from District 12 represented Judas Iscariot, as he betrayed Katniss to the alliance lead by District 1. Katniss shows unconditional forgiveness even unto her traitor.

top topics

join