It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space life forms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I was thinking watching some ufo videos from sts and iss stations. Why would it be impossible for our space to be something like an ocean. I have seen video showing myriads of "things" like in the famous tether video where its like seeing a flock of jelly fishes.
Why there can't be a life that survives in vacum without oxygen and use some other kind of energy to survive.. like radiation or whatever?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Some theorist believe there to be life that has adapted to the higher atmosphere and "Space", plasma beings some like to call them. Reminds me of star trek.

Completely plausible considering we know bacteria and enzymes survive in the harshest conditions, and apparently space dust is filled with these organisms.
edit on 29-3-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alda1981
I was thinking watching some ufo videos from sts and iss stations. Why would it be impossible for our space to be something like an ocean. I have seen video showing myriads of "things" like in the famous tether video where its like seeing a flock of jelly fishes.
Why there can't be a life that survives in vacum without oxygen and use some other kind of energy to survive.. like radiation or whatever?

been there, thought that, The animal would have to have to super dense hull (carpice b one like structure) in order to do such a thing. If there was an animal like this i believe it would only reach high orbit and swoop back down for food etc

@ go to 49:00
edit on 29-3-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Simply because of density.

Life requires long strings of molecular bonds, and there isn't enough in deep space to feed that. Take your DNA for instance, merely atoms wide yet over 3 feet long!!!

I thought it was only about 7 cm, but take that length compared to about a 23 atom width and see it takes quite a bond to hold that all together, and all of that lives inside mitochondria in the nucleus of every living cell in your body (except red blood cells, they have no cellular nucleus, which is why they look like doughnuts). So you see we are talking incredibly small yet visibly long.

A single strand of DNA 3 billion basepairs long would be about 1.02 meters (over three feet) long, which, in humans, is divided into 23 separate pieces (chromosomes) averaging 4.5 cm, each (I guess that's where the 5 cm came from?)

Reality is more fascinating than fiction, one with a microscope can watch DNA multiply right before their eyes, which to me is an incredible sight to see how fast the microscopic world binds, transforms, creates and of course eats fuel to do so.
edit on 29-3-2012 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
but there is also life in depths of ocean where they never believed it could exist... I mean not only carbon type of life exists right?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Life as we know it cannot exist in interplanetary space. If we broaden the definition, however, it is possible that there are, let's call them "phenomena," that reproduce some of the functions we associate with the definition of life. We would be very hard pressed to recognize them as life forms, however.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

but there is also life in depths of ocean where they never believed it could exist... I mean not only carbon type of life exists right?

Carbon is the best suited element for binding long molecular chains. Yes you hear of hydrogen bonds, which attach our DNA double helix structure, and you also heard of hydrocarbons? The simplest of all molecular bonds considered 'organic'. Methane being the simplest, one carbon and 4 hydrogen atoms.

The majority of hydrocarbons found naturally occur in crude oil, where decomposed organic matter provides an abundance of carbon and hydrogen which, when bonded, can catenate to form seemingly limitless chains.

Free radicle oxygen also 'wants' to readily bond with most anything, and nitrogen bonds are robust and difficult to break. So add phosphorus, a bit of salt and sugar and you have most of human DNA.

top topics

join