It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you believe?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday
I think this is a good thread subject. Many people have spiritual experiences, but how do we react to them? I've spent many hours trying to decide what message I should get from various experiences. Was this what it seemed or did it actually mean the opposite? Was it somebody trying to lead me or was it somebody trying to mislead me?

A few days ago, I had an idea that these things are often designed to make us think about things that we don't want to think about. There isn't a right or wrong answer. Just an idea.

Very interesting thoughts indeed. However over the past year I have began to see how powerful mere thought can be, and how an idea can literally transform into material in sorts; Which is why I wonder if what we believe will shape what we experience in the after life.

As a side note, its nice to see people sharing without the usual put downs you encounter with religion.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ka119

Originally posted by cloudyday
I think this is a good thread subject. Many people have spiritual experiences, but how do we react to them? I've spent many hours trying to decide what message I should get from various experiences. Was this what it seemed or did it actually mean the opposite? Was it somebody trying to lead me or was it somebody trying to mislead me?

A few days ago, I had an idea that these things are often designed to make us think about things that we don't want to think about. There isn't a right or wrong answer. Just an idea.

Very interesting thoughts indeed. However over the past year I have began to see how powerful mere thought can be, and how an idea can literally transform into material in sorts; Which is why I wonder if what we believe will shape what we experience in the after life.

As a side note, its nice to see people sharing without the usual put downs you encounter with religion.

There is also a feedback between action and faith. Faith produces action, but action also produces faith. A Sufi that feels he is getting closer to Allah naturally thinks that Sufism must be the best way and would try to persuade others to follow that path.

I don't worry much about the after life, but I worry about squandering this life and explaining that to somebody in the after life. The most certain way to squander this life is to hide from my doubts and choose to continue with beliefs that don't work.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I in fact do worry because of the complexities.

I believe that God is better to be described as the living essence inside of an individual which is connected to the whole universe which obviously is too outrageous for anybody to think. Creator is a correct name, and there are other names in my opinion which would be considered 'correct.'

I believe that this God likes us to repent, and of course if we repent that means we truly aim to be better.

I also believe in ghosts, so that brings in more complexities with the evidence which suggesting with our souls.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ka119

I believe for the good of what is pleasurable to the sight of our Lord Jesus of Nazareth.

I believe Truth and not in lies...

...and I Vote too!

edit on 2-4-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
reply to post by ka119

I believe for the good of what is pleasurable to the sight of our Lord Jesus of Nazareth.

I believe Truth and not in lies...

...and I Vote too!

edit on 2-4-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

But more specifically why did you choose to follow your current religion instead of another?
And on what grounds can you call another religions beliefs 'lies'? (besides the obvious "my religion says so")

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Here is another thought. It seems like Protestant Christianity is the only religion that emphasizes belief as a prerequisite for gaining the religious prize (in this case heaven).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Buddhist gets the prize by practices such as meditation and various types of self-denial over many years. A Muslim gets the prize by submitting to Allah and doing more good than evil. A Catholic get the prize by being baptised and taking part in confession and communion.

Belief isn't as important in most religions.

edit on 4-4-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by cloudyday

Which is honestly how I believe it should be.
Religions (in my eyes) are more of just guidelines to living a good, selfless life, and are all aimed at the same goal. I think they can be great to help shape people, however it loses it purpose when people look down upon others and condemn them for their belief being wrong. In all honesty, we do not know (regardless of what one has experienced) which is right, if any, which is where we begin to lose ourselves

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
When the title of the thread is "Why do you believe?", why is the discussion about religion and the correctness of your god and so forth? What does that have to do with the question?

I will answer according to the title of the thread: I believe because I know. It would be absurd for me to know something and then doubt its truth/existence. I do not have a religion because I have direct contact with God/Creator/Source/Singularity. That would be like calling my mother's doctor to communicate with her, wouldn't it? I can communicate quite well on my own. Why would an intermediary do a better job?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
When the title of the thread is "Why do you believe?", why is the discussion about religion and the correctness of your god and so forth? What does that have to do with the question?

I will answer according to the title of the thread: I believe because I know. It would be absurd for me to know something and then doubt its truth/existence. I do not have a religion because I have direct contact with God/Creator/Source/Singularity. That would be like calling my mother's doctor to communicate with her, wouldn't it? I can communicate quite well on my own. Why would an intermediary do a better job?

well believe me my friend, if i could have posted the broad length question in the topic, i would have. However, it was just used as an eye catching intro.
You also seem to not conform to a religion, so the given question does not specifically pertain to you, though i do welcome your input.
As I stated in the OP, this is directed at those who believe in one religion.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
What makes you're religion correct?

Most of Religions point the same principle: to know GOD

Why is you're God superior to others?

There are no religion inferior to the others. It's just that
our robotic mind fool us until we realize our true-self.

why would you be willing to bash others religion?

Our fake-self (the mind) do the bashing. Our true-self
knows the TRUTH so it does not need to bash.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join