It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sukhoi S.55 fighter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
While trawling the internet I found this picture of a model, probably displayed at an airshow somewhere, of the Sukhoi S.55. This appears to be a smaller single engine fighter, maybe in the MiG 21/F-16 size class that clearly owes a lot to the aerodynamics of the Flanker family.

It evolved from the S.54, a supersonic trainer and would make an excellent alternative to the SAAB-BAE Gripen I feel. The information seems to date from 1997 though so does anyone know what, if anything, became of this programme? I wouldn't be surprised if China bought it to replace the Chengdu F-7.

[edit on 23-9-2004 by waynos]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
you mean

Advanced supersonic trainer

Russian Avaition FAQ

EDIT: Sorry your pic was not up when I replied

[edit on 23-9-2004 by Popeye]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
All this proves to me is that Russia cant even afford to build a new F-16 like plane, so how will advanced fighters like the Mig-1.44 ever be built?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by roniii259
All this proves to me is that Russia cant even afford to build a new F-16 like plane, so how will advanced fighters like the Mig-1.44 ever be built?

The MiG 1.44 isn't really an advanced fighter as such, its a technology demonstrator for a future fighter, rather like the BAe EAP was in 1986 before the Typhoon was developed.

Popeye, yes, thats the trainer I mentioned it being developed from. Sorry about the pic, I forgot to post the link and had to edit it in, Doh!

Was the S.55 dropped because of cost? Or is it under development? Maybe it was an unsolicited private venture like the Super Mirage 4000? Thats what I want to find out but for the time being at least google cannot help me

[edit on 23-9-2004 by waynos]

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by roniii259

By entering into joint ventures with India.
The latest Bhramos missile too was built in a joint venture with india.
The russian's have alredy signed a venture with india to build the PAK- FA, equivalent of an F-35.

Indian companies and the Indian govt will do most of the funding.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
ronii, u don't understand, they haven't even built it yet, let alone bought it, its going to be i the testing phases soon though

stick to wut u understand

top topics

join