It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing new picture of the Richat Structure from the ISS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
A new picture of the Richat Structure in West Africa taken from the International Space Station has been released. Quite amazing to look at.

news.yahoo.com...

A huge, copper-toned formation in West Africa dominates a mesmerizing photo taken by an astronaut aboard the International Space Station.

Dutch astronaut Andre Kuipers snapped this hypnotic image of the so-called Richat structure in Mauritania, as the space station flew over the Sahara Desert on the Atlantic Coast of West Africa. Erosion of the various rock layers created the ring-like features that make up the sprawling structure, but the origin of the Richat structure remains somewhat mysterious, geologists have said.

The photo shows Kuipers' unique vantage point from the orbiting complex, which flies approximately 240 miles (386 kilometers) above the surface of the Earth. The image was taken on March 7 using a Nikon D2Xs camera, officials at the European Space Agency said in a statement.

Some older ATS threads discussing the Richat Structure can be found here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Richat Structure is one of the most mysterious geological formations on our planet. One thing that I find amazing about it is it's size (approx 50km in diameter). Whatever science one day determines it to be, it is rather beautiful and mysterious to look upon.
edit on 26-3-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Amazing. This is now my new desktop wallpaper

on europeanspaceagency Flickr www.flickr.com...
edit on 26-3-2012 by Fisherr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Cool my new Avatar picture, i was just going to post this myself, until i searched it.

Beat me to it again

join