It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Americans have got it made, compared to the Netherlands

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I'm an Australian who visited the US earlier this year. Although we all had to wait quite a long time with security checks, I had a real easy time when I passed through immigration. Whilst I watched people in other queues being fingerprinted, I just presented my passport(no pre-visa required)
The only question I was asked by the official was, "Where will you be staying?"
Following that, he then told me to enjoy my stay.
But, when I returned to Australia to visit my family(I am currently living in the Netherlands with my Dutch girlfriend) I couldn't believe all the questions I got from Aussie immigration officials, like: 'where are you staying?, what are you going to be doing here? will you be working? and so on...'
This angered me a little, but I didn't make a scene as this would achieve nothing. I simply stated that I didn't know where I was staying(of course I would be staying with my sister) and that I didn't know what I was doing during my visit 'in my country'. This was the first time I had experienced this line of questioning whilst returning to my home country.
In the Netherlands, I had to report to the police when I arrived there for the first time, and had to register with them. I now have a resident card here and must carry it at all times. Although having to now carry my ID card with me everywhere, has been a first for me. But these are the rules if I wish to stay with my girlfriend.
Since I have been in the Netherlands for 2 years now, not once have I ever been harrassed by police, questioned, or asked to provide my resident card to anyone.
But, one thing that has annoyed me, is that when you live in the Netherlands, you must register yourself with the local municipality. I've never had to do this in Australia and I can and have been able to move around much more freely.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
just thank the Government

Exactely . .

Just thank them for taking away your rights. Thank them for being corrupt with undeniable contacts to the oil and arms indutries. Thank them for allowing a horrible and preventable terrorist attack in New York. Thank them for killing over 1000 US troops in an unauthorised and unjustified war. Thank them for continuing to destroy the govenrment and corrupt scientific fact.

open

your

eyes

people

<< 1   >>

join