It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fresh Ginger vs. Dried Ginger – Know Their Difference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
hi all
im a shtf scenario want to be prepared person (maybe slightly paranoid)

Ginger as you know has many beneficial qualitys as on msm in the recent years.
For quite some time now we have been told "eat your 5 a day and fresh veg is best"
then i thought, if i dry this out will it still be medicinal after a couple of yrs and have the same potency
I came across this:

Long before our studies, the century-old Chinese medical book stated that the use of fresh ginger is recommended for reduction of fever, while dried ginger is required for keeping our body healthy and warm. Unfortunately, many of us did not understand this simple fact correctly. In fact, most traditional healers including pharmaceutical companies around the world have been using fresh ginger. That's what we have discovered.

What is the secret of dried ginger?

Fresh raw ginger contains the spicy substance called "gingerol". We came to understand that dried ginger has several times more gingerol than fresh ginger.

Gingerol helps increase immune cells in the blood vessels to protect the body from bacteria and other toxic elements. Gingerol is also known to protect your body from contracting bacterial bronchitis.

However, you should know that gingerol is easily oxidized when grated or cooked. Thus, you must consume grated or cooked ginger immediately. We recommend that you grate or cook ginger just before your meal.
What You Should Remember

Once again, use fresh ginger for reducing your body temperature, and use dried ginger for warming your body temperature.

Both gingers are good for your health maintenance and in preventing all kinds of diseases.

i never knew this
at first i thought its just a fitness add blah blah
but seems real after a bit more searching

to me it seems i can dry many kinds of veg and not alter the healing properties
ginger garlic and other spices is what im reading into
what do you think?

www.pyroenergen.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The thing I always wonder about the health benefits of ANY food or spice or oil...etc is if cooking nullifies the benefits. I know the basics about high heat changing the molecular structure of many oils into something much less healthy or boiling out the nutrients in over-cooked vegetables but still not sure about many other food-stuffs. For example: raw honey has many health benefits, but what did I just do to it when I poured nearly-boiling water onto it to make my tea?
And when you say 'dried' ginger do you mean something like dried, candied ginger chunks or super-finely grated ginger used for typical cooking?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by awakendhybrid

hya

i mean dried as in dried out
getting the root
slice it up
leave sitting in the sun for a couple of days
thats what it said on the link
thx for the reply
dave

sorry meant to add
at school many years ago
we were taught boiling veg took out most nutrients
so peeps used the water for gravy or any stock
now were taught steaming is better
seems to me dried out is more better

edit on 21-3-2012 by davesmart because: added

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Its all understood well by the Chinese and Indian ancient natural medicines. I'm familiar with both. Generally for day today cooking folks use the fresh ginger. To remediate common ailments such as cold, indigestion etc etc, dry ginger is used. But you can use either one as you wish. It all depends on the flavour of the dish that you wish to maintain. Dry ginger tastes different than fresh ginger in any dish. Fresh ginger tastes much better in dishes. Dry ginger is generally good with other natural products such as Honey or Lemon.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

hya

the last week or so i had the sniffles
then sliced ginger into a tea, added a bit of lemon and sugar
soon i felt better and thought...can i store this for a while, fresh ginger will be hard to come by in a shtf scenario
and thats when i came across that link
i have not tried dry ginger, but will try with honey
cheers
dave

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart
reply to post by hp1229

hya

the last week or so i had the sniffles
then sliced ginger into a tea, added a bit of lemon and sugar
soon i felt better and thought...can i store this for a while, fresh ginger will be hard to come by in a shtf scenario
and thats when i came across that link
i have not tried dry ginger, but will try with honey
cheers
dave

Generally for indigestion, you can use this along with Jaggery and cured butter (ghee). Make a nice round ball about 2 cm in diameter and consume it on empty stomach with just a bit of water.

You can also pickle ginger with honey along with gooseberrys and piece of ginger and gooseberry once a day everymorning. It works wonders.

top topics

join