It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Updated] Soldier tells it like it is (and gets investigated for disloyalty)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
This guy is a turncoat scumbag regardless of how many years he spent in uniform.

I'm curious, if Clinton had led the US and coalition into the quagmire it now finds itself in in Iraq. Would anyone who suggested things are worse off than is being reported therefore also be a 'turncoat scumbag'?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seth Bullock
Not at all. I am saying that this guy is most certainly politically motivated in his articles and I for one will not take his word. I am sure there are real soldiers over there unhappy with the way things are, just as there are many who would say they support this war fully.

I'm sure there are. Just because someone supports the war doesn't mean its going to be won or is being waged in the best way possible.

Originally posted by Seth BullockIf I were to post a link to an article from a soldier that says what we are doing is right, ask yourself honestly, how long would it take for you to lable him a "brainwashed bushie". Bet that could be measured in nanoseconds.

I would never do that. Please post them. I want to hear all of it, from all sides. As long as I feel they are speaking honestly I would just catalogue it with everything else I've learned and would probably hope that he ends being right. I may oppose the war and the way its being fought however, it doesn't mean I'm irresponsible and hope that we fail. Unfortuanately, a majority of the evidence seems to be pointing to the perils we face ahead. We still have people who defend Vietnam...and that war has been proven to have been a colossal mistake and waged poorly.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
well the soldier brings up some good points especially about the supply lines. That is the difference between combat arms and soldiers that are not combat arms. I have talked to a number of soldiers that have been there since i will probaly be going there soon myself. All the combat arms said it was tought but we have to stick it out because there are good iraqi's, but the non combat arms are ready to throw in the towel. That's why i wish the army would follow the marines lead with there basic training being the same then there job training afterwards. Anyways don't take this as me ripping on everyone that is non combat arms because we wouldn't be able to do our jobs without them. There are just differences when things get hot and how we react to that.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Updated thread

Article (first post also updated)

As for Lorentz's case, Lattin, who served as a Marine judge advocate, says it's not uncommon for commanders to threaten soldiers with legal action in order to make a point: "If they know there's an offense for a disloyal statement, I wouldn't be surprised if he said, 'Knock it off.'" Lattin doubts that in the end Lorentz will face prosecution for his writings. "After this gets to lawyers and prosecutors who think about the consequences and the First Amendment, I don't think this will go anywhere."

I hope that is an accurate prediction. You can't find a more honest and logical report on the Iraq situation straight from the man on the ground if you tried, imo.

[edit on 4-10-2004 by cargo]

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by cargo

I hope that is an accurate prediction. You can't find a more honest and logical report on the Iraq situation straight from the man on the ground if you tried, imo.

[edit on 4-10-2004 by cargo]

Actually, from this guys other writings and obvious political slant, you would have been better off to say, "You couldn't find a more biased and politically motivated post from a guy flying a desk far way from the actual shooting if you tried...."

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I live in a military town. I also talk to the troops with the combat patch on their right shoulder, and I have served in the military. I for one will listen more to the enlisted soldiers and junior officers. These troopers have served with honor and destinction so their opinions matter more to me than anyone over the rank of Major. I do this because they are not so worried about thier careers.

While there are officers (major and above) who do care for their troops I do not believe they will outright question their leaders and orders because they fear retribution. If an enlisted man with 20 years service can be punished (regardless of where he is stationed) the military would make an even bigger statement out of an officer.

You do not need to be a General to understand basic military tactics. If this was the case then the SECDEF and National Security Advisor would always be a retired General Officer. Then again, maybe that should be a requirement for those positions.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
This guy is a turncoat scumbag regardless of how many years he spent in uniform. He is also an international publicity hound with political ambitions.

I would hate to have this guy watching my back. This kind of speech during wartime is indefensible and I have nothing but contempt for him. He should not be deployed anywhere in any capacity.

www.google.com...

Yeah, but don't you have contempt for everybody that doesn't agree with you? I mean that pretty well narrows down most of the populace. Reading your posts would lead somebody to believe that you get angry at the sun for shining on everyone. I mean most normal people can draw a distinction between DISAGREEMENT and HATE. I disagree with conservatives, but I don't hate them.

You're an angry man, Grady. You should probably get that checked out. Get some happy pills or something.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join