It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood creates an abomination!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad
reply to post by HauntWok

Because Hollywood writers lack imagination and cant think of anything new these days. Back before computers, and iPads, etc. people had to use their imaginations in order to entertain themselves, now people are getting lazy.

That's misguided and insulting. Are there hack writers? Yeah. But the writers aren't the problem. There are a lot of writers making clever and original screenplays. Some of them might even get sold, but the studio will make them so different it almost doesn't matter. The writer is the low man on the totem pole in Hollywood. And most reboots, remakes and sequels don't start with a writer going, 'Hey, it's my dream to writer a Leprechaun reboot, so here it goes!" Studios get the idea to do it and then hire a writer. And then that writer is just doing a job.

Do you remember that Robin Hood movie that came out in 2010 with Russell Crowe? It's understandable if you don't, because it was just another movie about Robin Hood, of which there has to be at least 50. And it looked like standard mediocre action fare. Well, if you read this great article you'll see the original idea was a more interesting story where the Sheriff of Nottingham was the hero. Then the studio changed EVERYTHING.

You can blame the studios for making bad movies. They want to produce movies that will make money. And it's safer to go with an idea people are familiar with because there's a built in audience. Did you like the original Halloween? Then, when it came out, you almost definitely checked out Rob Zombie's remake, because you wanted to see how it matched up.

So, you can blame the studios, and they are to blame, but the real problem is with the public. Studios wouldn't make these movies if people didn't want to see them. They keep doing reboots, remakes, sequels because people throw money at them. Everyone has the option to not see movies. Even if every movie in the theater is bad and you have no choice, you don't have to go. If people wouldn't buy it, the studios wouldn't try to sell it.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaulGoodman
So, you can blame the studios, and they are to blame, but the real problem is with the public. Studios wouldn't make these movies if people didn't want to see them. They keep doing reboots, remakes, sequels because people throw money at them. Everyone has the option to not see movies. Even if every movie in the theater is bad and you have no choice, you don't have to go. If people wouldn't buy it, the studios wouldn't try to sell it.

Also because reboots, remakes, adaptations and sequels are usually safer investments. If an idea worked before, chances are it will again.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SaulGoodman

You do make a valid point. It is partially the viewing public's fault for this insanity. If we, the public, would stop watching the tripe they spew out on us, they would be FORCED to make a change.

I for one will not be watching this stupidity.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SaulGoodman

Well to prove that I practice what I preach,
I bought the original Lone Ranger tv series on dvd. That new version in just the pic they showed is so WRONG!
What indian tribe had Tonto wearing a bird on his head? And wearing paint all over his face?
Since when did the Lone Ranger wear black? Why was he wearing a star while wearing the mask? He wanted the Cavendish gang to think he was dead, thats why he wore the mask and NO star.

I agree that the movie studios will put out time tested favorites, but if they cant take a chance on something new and different, then they are in a rut and need to stop.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

They lost me at "Johnny Depp" as Tonto...really?

What's next, the Rock as Buck Rogers?

I'll go see the stooges movie though, just out of morbid curiosity....

Do you remember that Robin Hood movie that came out in 2010 with Russell Crowe? It's understandable if you don't, because it was just another movie about Robin Hood, of which there has to be at least 50

I just want to know what idiot had the French disembarking on medieval amphibian craft? Was it the middle ages, or the invasion of Normandy for god-sakes!!!??? And why on Earth did the English attack them on the beach with cavalry, when they could have just as easily stayed on the cliff and shot them all like fish in a barrel? Some real tactical geniuses...

edit on 22-3-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by rangersdad

They lost me at "Johnny Depp" as Tonto...really?

What's next, the Rock as Buck Rogers?

I'll go see the stooges movie though, just out of morbid curiosity....

Do you remember that Robin Hood movie that came out in 2010 with Russell Crowe? It's understandable if you don't, because it was just another movie about Robin Hood, of which there has to be at least 50

I just want to know what idiot had the French disembarking on medieval amphibian craft? Was it the middle ages, or the invasion of Normandy for god-sakes!!!??? And why on Earth did the English attack them on the beach with cavalry, when they could have just as easily stayed on the cliff and shot them all like fish in a barrel? Some real tactical geniuses...

edit on 22-3-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

Unfortunaltely I am not joking about Johnny Depp as Tonto
With our luck they will want Pee Wee Herman as Buck Rogers

top topics

<< 1   >>

join