It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panetta: Death penalty possible in Afghan shooting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

ABOARD A US MILITARY AIRCRAFT (AP) -- Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says the death penalty is a consideration as the military moves to investigate and possibly put on trial a U.S. soldier suspected of gunning down 16 Afghans.

In his first public remarks on the incident, Panetta said Monday the shootings must not derail the military mission in Afghanistan, and pressure to do so from political leaders in Kabul and Washington must not alter that course.

He said the U.S. seems to get confronted every other day with challenges that test U.S. leadership and its commitment to the mission.

Panetta shed little light on what may have triggered the weekend massacre, but said officials will use the military justice system, and that capital punishment is possible.

Associated Press

Wow who would have thought that?? Pretty quick 'judgment' of Panetta. I doubt that this will taking place, but hearing it from Panetta is wild.

I'll be posting updates

ETA: I don't think he deserves less..But this punishment should be for EVERYBODY. not just here because some PR is needed
edit on 12-3-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
What is the judgement? All he did is state a fact. The allegations are he targeted and murdered civilians. Punishment for such a crime is punishable by death.

I can't stand Panetta. I also can't stand any soldier who targets and murders civilians.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
What is the judgement? All he did is state a fact. The allegations are he targeted and murdered civilians. Punishment for such a crime is punishable by death.

I can't stand Panetta. I also can't stand any soldier who targets and murders civilians.

The same should happen to those who raped and killed the little kids in Iraq. But it didn't. Animal is Animal

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Murdering 16 civilians is punishable by death.

What is the issue with what he said unless you are against the death penalty?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
This "revelation" should come as no surprise. The military industrial machine is in trouble. People all over the world are weary of endless wars and rumors of wars. In their desperation to keep profits rolling in, they've been forced to stir the pot with increasing vigor.

Notice all the stories about errant missiles creating collateral damage? They are trying to ensure a constant number of "enemies" they must save us from.

My intuition tells me the shooter was treated to an overdose of CIA mediated, instant-psycho, just add bullets, treatment.

They have to eliminate this contingent liability and make certain he will never spill the beans. The real threat is not Afghanis, Iraqis, or Iranians. It's the blood cult formerly run by Pannetta and known as the CIA.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Murdering 16 civilians is punishable by death.

What is the issue with what he said unless you are against the death penalty?

Ok I updated my OP, because I'm not against it. But I think it shouldn't just be aplicable where PR is needed.. Enough innocent civilians are being killed daily

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Well considering the story has multiple different details, that don't quite match up with the "official" account or those of the villagers etc, I'm not surprised.

If this is something other than what the military is stating it is, does it shock you that they would want this person silenced post haste?

It doesn't shock me in the slighest. That or it's just PR. Penetta stating he'll be put to death probably appeases the Taliban and Afghan Government.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
The same should happen to those who raped and killed the little kids in Iraq. But it didn't. Animal is Animal

Agreed. But at the same time, we must acknowledge that just because a civilian or child gets killed it was targeted. Urban warfare, especially against guerrilla fighters, always has higher civilian death rates.

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Penetta stating he'll be put to death probably appeases the Taliban and Afghan Government.

I think we have learned that nothing appeases the Taliban or the Afghans.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321

I think we have learned that nothing appeases the Taliban or the Afghans.

We haven't tried getting out of their country. That would probably work.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I'm wondering if that has ever happend? That the USA executed a US Soldier for killing innocent people in a warzone.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Sure has..

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
What a whole bunch of crap, what is next to appeased the puppet government that our own whores in Washington has help prop in that country we should now go for every American troops that has engaged in the killing of before terrorist now civilians since our nation war profiters has been invading the country?, how about trading the corrupted Panetta for the soldier that is been now used as a fall guy and have the Afghanistan government do with him in a public show for the entire world to watch. As a bonus let give them Rumsfeld, Bush and Cheney.

Then cut all the darn tax payer money that our nations generous whores in government has given away to them at the expenses of hard working Americans.

What a whole bunch of crap.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The guy cracked. They took his family away for 4 straight consecutive tours, then his wife divorces him, probably from being away all the time, and then he goes back to Iraq only to shoot women and children. The guy was obviously distressed and distraught. And the only one to blame is the military in this case. They could of at least gave the guy a break.

When he shot them, the only thing that guy saw, was his family and how pissed off he was probably. She probably divorced him while he was out in Iraq by a letter rather than doing it to his face.

I think he just cracked and he needs help.

Sorry for the victims but I also feel sorry for him a little bit.

You have to realize most of the targets were women and children-There go-He's reflecting on his own family issues
edit on 12-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The use of the death penalty in cases of war crimes, which this seems to be, is covered by the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

On that Panetta is correct.

It'll be interesting to see who gets called to judgement. My guess it won't be the ones higher in the food chain.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

True enough. But that can't in any way excuse it, as I'm sure you'd agree.

Something needs to change... That much is obvious. Tours need to be shorter. Or, the troops need to come home. Or something else entirely...though I can't imagine what else.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
This is a tough one. The soldier is obviously mentally ill and that was likely caused by the stress of being in a combat situation for a prolonged period of time. However the Afghan people deserve some sort of justice. I do not think it would be unreasonable turning him over to the Afghan people and let them decide his fate.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Something needs to change... That much is obvious. Tours need to be shorter. Or, the troops need to come home. Or something else entirely...though I can't imagine what else.

I think the problem is more complex than a matter of tour length or repetition. I think the problem stems from the cause and the enemy. Men can endure long hardships if they believe in what they are doing. Additionally, a clearly defined enemy is much less stressful than an unknown enemy.

Most servicemen and veterans do think they are doing some good in Afghanistan and previously Iraq, but they don't really relate to the cause.

I think that most servicemen would rather face the Chinese Army head on than have to be in country trying to 'bring freedom and self governance' to people where you can't tell if the local standing next to you is a government official, enemy or both.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

How is he he mentally ill all of a sudden? He must have been fit for getting an assignment since everybody goes through medical and psychological examinations.

He's just one of many who happen to go off.. And now he must pay for it.

caused by the stress of being in a combat situation for a prolonged period of time

Well, then he should have stayed home and gotten a proper job. Nobody forced him to go there

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Well CNN is reporting he did suffer a brain injury.

The official said the suspect was an infantry sniper from Joint Base Lewis-McChord, outside Tacoma, Washington. He was diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury in 2010, after a vehicle rollover in Iraq, but found fit for duty after treatment, the official said.

www.cnn.com...

It's not uncommon for people with brain injury to be more prone to violent behavior, or PTSD..

~tenth

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

There is probably more than a little something to that...

We should have left long ago. Afghanistan won't be Afghanistan until the Afghans own it. ...and they can't do that with us looking over their shoulders.

It's time and past for the U.S. military to leave.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join