It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian skier Nik Zoricic killed in crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Canadian skier Nik Zoricic killed in crash

www.cbc.ca

Canada's ski community is once again in mourning after Toronto skier Nik Zoricic died from head injuries suffered in a crash during a World Cup skicross race in Switzerland.

Zoricic, 29, was airlifted to a hospital with on Saturday right after he went wide over the final jump and crashed heavily into safety nets lining the side of the course.

His death was later announced by the International Ski Federation and the Craigleith Ski Club, north of Toronto. The FIS said in a statement that Zoricic died at 12:35 p.m. local time from "severe neurotrauma."

Dave Campbell, the head coach at
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
[url=http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/03/10/canadian-skicross-racer-nick-zoricic-dies-following-crash-in-switzerland/]sports.nationalpost.com[/ur l]

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
This is the second skiier we've lost in the past few months...

Such a tragic accident...

Canadian Skii champion Sarah Burke was also killed in an accident back in January. Thoughts and prayers go out to Dave Campbell and his family...

It is a dangerous sport but i understand the love for it... Its just a shame it can't be made a little safer

This is the Crash... **Warning Viewer Discretion Advised**

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10-3-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Is skiing a popular sport to watch in Canada? Sorry to hear about his death.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

It is pretty popular around here. People seem to like the slalum(not sure on spelling) the most. Maybe they can improve the helmets a bit?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Did not seem like a bad crash
not as bad as this at least

Still took a good lick.
These winter sports are very edgy, and dangerous.
I read he died a little later and not on the spot.
This luge guy died instantly..
These winter sports guys get my respect.
rip man he died doing what he loved
and wanted to do..
You can not exactly remove all the trees
and making a 30 ft jump off anything anytime
is dangerous, no helmet is going to keep
you from snapping your neck in two..
Just never assume these things are safe.
A kennedy died skiing, and sonny bonno,
it happens.
edit on 10-3-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
RIP
i hope he never felt it
I guess we all have our ways of pushing the envelope
what is living if we don't?

here's to going out quick doing what ( or who ) you love
edit on 10-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
My condolences to his family, friends, ski team and all of Canada, I won't watch the crash. My boys are big on snowboarding so I knew of the loss of Sarah and felt for her fans and fellow athletes I saw on the X games.

My son recently broke his wrist boarding and it looked like someone hit the back side of his helmet with a baseball bat.

Sarah also died from head injury.

God bless.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Skiing is a very dangerous sport. I have broken my heel, blew out my knee, and am lucky to not have broken my back a few times. I used to be a Snowbird pass holder for a number of years. Jamie Pierre, a long time local, died recently. He was nuts. He held the record for a cliff drop on skis... I think it was about 235 ft. Shane McConkey is also dead, along with CR
Johnson and Billy Poole relatively recently. These guys are free skiiers (extreme skiers). Being an adrenaline junkie can definitely be hazardous to your health.

espn.go.com...
edit on 10-3-2012 by colbyforce because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
When you live on the edge you can fall off, at least he went pursuing his passion.

I feel sympathy for the pain of loss his family and friends will go through, but I celebrate that he lived life large, that's rare these days.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

People like this love pushing the envelope for sure. If you told someone in supercross ten years ago, that a double backflip on a dirtbike would happen, the probably wouldn't believe it lol. These people are constantly doing things that seem totally impossible, and as these sports progress, they seem to get more dangerous.

I can't say I am not guilty, my snowmobile has hit 120 before, that is fast. My bike has hit 140, that is fast. If I crash at those speeds, I don't think my 200 dollar helmet would save me, but the rush I get is insane.

I have gone around 160 in my car too, but it's not really the same. Yeah dangerous, but I have airbags, seatbelts, not to mention the car frame surrounding me.
edit on Sat, 10 Mar 2012 20:36:48 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

top topics

join