It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine states he will not follow "unlawful orders".

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
reply to post by milominderbinder

It isn't a stupid idea nor uncommon. When in basic, we were encouraged to only execute the orders of the officers above us that were lawful. That it was our duty to know what was and what isn't a lawful order. Why is this news? Or is this marine looking for attention?

Nope. It's news because he's catching heat for it and his commanding officer's are telling him he should take it down and follow orders blindly like an organic robot.

You are absolutely correct. The idea that troops think for themselves and DON'T follow unlawful orders isn't news. It was stressed for years with the hopes of avoiding another Mai Lai Massacre or similar PR nightmare.

The fact that all of sudden the military is saying "No...just do as you're told, legal or not". is the part that makes it news.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I can see that. Though when I disobeyed it was less profound it is amazing how well the chain of command works in the military. I suspect others took the oath just as serious as I. Hell I questioned why I had to take it ahain. As far as I was concerned, separating did not relinquish that oath...though that is a personal opinion.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

It isn't a stupid idea nor uncommon. When in basic, we were encouraged to only execute the orders of the officers above us that were lawful. That it was our duty to know what was and what isn't a lawful order. Why is this news? Or is this marine looking for attention?

Same experience I had. Not sure how this is news it is what every memember of the military is told.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere

This is definitely a positive but unfortunately, much of it has to do with opposing Obama.

Wish they had stood up to Bush.

True. Without the Patriot Act we could not have had the NDAA, could we?

Actually the best-case scenario is if after 9-11 the whole country would have thought it's more important to clean up and rebuild the WTC than it is to level other peoples countries.

Instead, 10 years later we have a Middle East in utter chaos and a great big, black, pit where the WTC used to be. What a perfect metaphor for the hopeless morass and money pit we have dug ourselves into.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I can see that. Though when I disobeyed it was less profound it is amazing how well the chain of command works in the military. I suspect others took the oath just as serious as I. Hell I questioned why I had to take it ahain. As far as I was concerned, separating did not relinquish that oath...though that is a personal opinion.

Can I ask what you disobeyed and what year it was?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join