It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I might be a monster...!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
So, I'm watching CSI the other day, and the killer was what is termed, a Chimera. I may just have an explaination for my own weirdness, hehe...

You see, at different times in my life, I've had different results on blood type when being tested, giving blood, etc. I'd always thought this might be clerical errors, unskilled workers, etc. At one point, I even had two different blood types on file at hospitals.

Impossible you say? Nope. The Chimera condition happens when you would have been twins, but one cell absorbed the other, resulting in differing DNA also being present in the cell. Therefore, blood tests, even DNA tests, could give different results!!! Even on the same person!!!

Problem is, it's usually only caught by accident, (the condition), when trying to donate organs, etc. The other issue is that there is no rhyme or reason as to where you may have differing cells... (hair, some hair, toes, fingers, etc.) I'm going to ask the doc about it, next time I go in, see if I can have some blood drawn from various places in the body, and see if they can find it out for sure...

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Another member, Gryffen, did a lot of reading on Chimeras and put up a thread-load of information on the subject:
Genetic Chimeras

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Do you have those markings on your back too?
Perhaps the Chimera isn't all that mythical, and freaks like you really exist.

Just kidding with you. Let us know if your doctor has answers.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Thanks for the link! I'll post further on that one then...

Actually, I believe I am only a blood Chimera. The back markings have a different name, (right on the tip of my brain...) but it is connected to Chimeras. Then again, never really looked that close on my back, and it just may be that it only shows up in certain lighting... Will have to check.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
For blood type specific info, check out this site: anthro.palomar.edu...

A small number of people have two different ABO blood types.� They are not simply AB codominant.� Apparently, most of these blood chimera individuals shared a blood supply with their non-identical twin before birth.� In some cases, people are unaware that they had a twin because he or she died early in gestation and was spontaneously aborted.� As many as 8% of non-identical twins may have chimeric blood.� Some people are microchimeric--they have a small amount of blood of a different type in their system that has persisted from a blood transfusion or passed across the placental barrier from their mother before birth.� Likewise, fetal blood can pass into a mother's system.� This fact has led some researchers to suggest that the significantly higher frequency of autoimmune disorders in women is a result of the presence of foreign white blood cells that had come from their unborn children during pregnancy.

Normally, if you mix two different blood types together they clot and clump and kill you. Not in these cases, though. What it DOESN'T mention is having two different types of DNA, which was more of the jist of the CSI show on genetic chimera.

So, you're not a monster, just a freak

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Gazrok is following up in the elder thread, so I am going to close this one. (forgot earlier, oops!)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join