It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Standardized Tests Really a Metric Of Compliance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
So I just realized the point of standardized tests, (keep in mind this is a stream of consciousness so though some other things will be thrown out the point is "what is the true point of standardized tests"

I was reading through an article on this site i just found "skeptic.com" www.skepticblog.org...
which stated that it is ridiculous for science teachers to also be “forced” to teach creationism.

This made me think of some other material that I read which I believe leaves this rational...irrational, It stated the reason people are so “stupid”(for lack of a better word) is because western and the dominant teaching structure is flawed. I agree.

For instance – in science/math there are things called “divine numbers” though it is "scientific". For example:
Facial Beauty / Divine Proportion, Everything in the universe is based on the proportion: 1 to 1.618 -www.facialbeauty.org... or

THE PYTHAGOREAN SCIENCE OF NUMBERS ,Pythagoras taught that this science was revealed to men by "celestial deities www.wisdomworld.org...

or the golden ratio en.wikipedia.org...

It was posed that the reason we have not been able to attain technological/scientific progress like the days of old (Sumerians, Egyptians..etc) was because we have segmented the material and taking the writing out of context.

In other words, creationism is science and vice versa.

AH YES. So I was thinking about how I would teach things if I had a school. It would be everything – it would be conspiracy , debunker material, science, religion…etc as to expose everyone to as much as possilbe - as so they could draw their own truth. For I belive that there is one truth and eventually we will all come to the same conclusion.

Unfortunately , standardized texts would present a problem because the student would HAVE to give ONE universal answer for it to be right, right? One date for columbus, emancipation, start of wars - end of wars -- etc.
Why all the absolutism? Why is there 1 official answer for something?

The problem is WHO is controlling the "official" answer. We only need look at who imposed "No Child Left Behind" for the answer. And before we get Bush Haters/Lovers I need only say that I remember in the early 90s in elementary school before no child left behind when they started to "introduce" this. I distinctly remember them saying it was just for practice and it would help ..someone...to see if they would start doing it.

Obviously Standardized tests were in the grand plan LONG before Baby Bush.

Before standardized tests, a teacher had the mental capacity to determine if a students answer was acceptable. A student could write in " American slavery ended in ____ but many towns did not hear the news until ____"
The teacher could raise their eyebrows in disagreement , but ultimately say "nice try" or "i diagree but good answer"

The classroom was a learn/teach environment for everyone.

Not now. Thus Standardized tests are a tool to determine which children will be modable. The ones that are not are labeled "stupid failures".

edit on 2-3-2012 by femalepharoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The whole school system is like that, Critical thinking is taboo.

A good school system would teach children basic math and reading/writing and most importantly how to learn! Once someone knows that they are capable of finding their own awnsers. The current system of "you must learn what your told when your told and write a 5 page essay detailing it" only puts people off learning even subjects they would normally enjoy
edit on 2-3-2012 by monkofmimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by femalepharoe

You have never taken one of those standardized tests have you?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I think the premise of the thread is right on. I wouldn't have agreed before this semester at school. but I sure do now. What changed is having an instructor for American History (a state required class for any degree) that really cares if we learn the material or not. His is the first class I've had..and I can't even recall one in public school....where I didn't get a multiple choice test. He's requiring written answers for everything from the date of the signing of the Constitution to the names in all the major events. Same thing for all units to the Final...which IS multi-choice by school design, not his.

On a Standardized test? I have no doubt I would have gotten a B+ or A...and I'd have FELT I earned it. Without having the answer handed to me as one of the few I'm looking right at? I got a D....and hence...learned a painful lesson about how those multiple choice tests really seem to give an illusion of knowledge where it may or may not exist. A class with written/essay style testing is a class one needs to actually stay awake and learn in! lol..

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by monkofmimir

hahahah @ "critical thinking is taboo"

it is funny bc it is true, ...which also makes it sad...

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
No Child Left Behind = Every Child is left behind

I agree with the rabbit. Essay style tests are the way to go. They force you to use your noodle, then just pick an answer. Could be one of the puzzle pieces that answer the "Dumbing Down Of Amerika".

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I think essays are one way forward but personally I always struggled with them I think kids should also be tested by asking them questions verbally and by physically demonstrating skills and knowledge.

People are to diverse to believe that one style of testing would accuratly show there strength and weaknesses.

new topics

top topics

join