It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Owner saves dog from wolf trap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Sometimes we need a reminder.

The following story ends well for the dog but if you are a super sensitive person, then know that I've selected to post this to serve as a cautionary warning for people who let their dogs run loose, or let them run on ahead on walks in unpopulated areas.

Cam Abell was out for a Sunday morning stroll with his pooch Charlie Brown when the 135-pound chocolate lab found his way into a trap that was likely set out for a wolf or coyote.

"He was caught. He couldn't bark because it was around his neck. He was dying," Abell said.

Because it was choking, the dog began to panic and took a few chomps at his owner. The metal from the snare that was around Charlie Brown's neck shredded Abell's left hand while the frightened dog wound up biting his other hand.

Read the whole story here

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Uhhgg. I couldn't imagine the panic that must have gone through the owners mind. I freak out when Mongo gets loose in our neighbourhood and i can't find him. Id completely lose it and track down the trap setter if that happened to him.
edit on 2-3-2012 by becomingaware because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by becomingaware

Unngh is right. I too would have panicked. But I guess if there are problem animals around, then maybe we should think that there could be trappers there too.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
This reminds me of how much we mistreat animals...

I read in the paper recently, of a Stingray who was well known, local to an area near where I live, and was an attraction to all who came by. He was called Stumpy because he had no barb in his tail. He'd come up to people, and play with them, and had done so for ages.

Until 2 young fishermen caught him, and in front of shocked locals, children and onlookers, they carved him up and stuffed him into coolers.

It brought about a ban in the area, known for it's stingray attractions, to ban any fishing there.

It made me physically sick to be honest, how a creature that had become so used to human contact, so accepted by the locals, so trusting... was taken as meat for arrogant scumbags.

Traps of this kind are sickening.

I agree with fishing, I fish... but never take advantage of the nature of an animal to do so. To use the trust an animal has in us in order to kill it, is wrong. Even if it's for food, unless that food is imperative. No, these men were openly targetting a well known creature, because of it's trust.

No different than if we lure a pet into a snare.

or place them where pets can be caught.

I sometimes think we are still living in caves... mentally and morally.

(no one start the "do you eat meat" garbage either, it's ridiculous how it gets.)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Your story is a horrible reminder of our insensitivity, isn't it? I do not defend trapping, and I don't really know what methods can be used to stop dangerous or rabid wildlife. I have heard of coyote attacks on small children inside municipal areas though. I hope the dog's owner in the story brought in the conservation officers to investigate the trap and its placement near a populated area.

top topics

join