It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Monkees' Singer Davy Jones, 66, Dies of Heart Attack

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by hapablab
I got to watch the reruns in the 80's every day after school they would show them back to back on the local station here in Chicago and I was smitten but not with Davy but with Mickey Dolenz, man I still am, that guy is still sooo cool, but Davy was awesome he's the one my sis loves, so sad, R.I.P. Davy :-(

And Marcia too!

He's the first Monkee to die.
We're down to 2 Beatles and 3 Monkees and (still) 4 Stones. That's IT on the original legendary band roster.

There were many many good ones since (Grateful Dead for example) but these 3 bands were groups that every one world-wide knew. Even grandparents. That just got a lot of publicity and air-time unlike any other band from that era.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
I wonder who is going to clean out his locker?

What does that mean?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
Oh noez!!
I'm with silo13 on this one...
I adored the Monkees (though I preferred Peter Tork to Davey Jones); when I was a kid and got "punished", it took the form of "you can't watch the Monkees". I remember sitting in the hallway with my chin on my knees at least listening to it. First crush...oh yeah.

The very first pop concert I attended was the Monkees, their opening act was the Fifth Dimension, when the "Age of Aquarius" was their new hot release....my mom took me. I was a preteen.

*sigh*

Well, I still have an old vinyl LP of the Monkees in my basement....
so the magic can still be enjoyed.

Thanks for the post.
edit on 29-2-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

In my opinion, he (Peter) is the only one whose unrecognizable today but I think he had a bout with cancer.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

What does that mean?

Here you go!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by hapablab
I got to watch the reruns in the 80's every day after school they would show them back to back on the local station here in Chicago and I was smitten but not with Davy but with Mickey Dolenz, man I still am, that guy is still sooo cool, but Davy was awesome he's the one my sis loves, so sad, R.I.P. Davy :-(

And Marcia too!

He's the first Monkee to die.
We're down to 2 Beatles and 3 Monkees and (still) 4 Stones. That's IT on the original legendary band roster.

There were many many good ones since (Grateful Dead for example) but these 3 bands were groups that every one world-wide knew. Even grandparents. That just got a lot of publicity and air-time unlike any other band from that era.

You forgot these legendary bands:-

The Who 2 left
The Beach Boys 3 left
The Kinks 3 left
Led Zeppelin 3 left
Pink Flloyd 3 Left

Here's Davy Jones in The British series Z Cars in 1962

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

What does that mean?

Here you go!

Oh of course. Never understood the reference but heard it my entire life.
Thanks for increasing my intelligence quotient by a fraction of a millimeter today

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

You forgot these legendary bands:-

The Who 2 left
The Beach Boys 3 left
The Kinks 3 left
Led Zeppelin 3 left
Pink Flloyd 3 Left

You're right but if you asked your grandmother who The Kinks, The Who, Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd were in the 60's she'd send you to your room for sayin' a bad word or something.

The Beach Boys really hit it big in the late 60's.

I still think the Beatles, Monkees and Stones were the most famous bands at the time. Maybe not the most liked, but everyone seemed to know of them.

(I'd take Floyd over any of 'em ....any day)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

This is a hard one to take.....I still remember standing in my Aunt's kitchen listening to the radio on top of the Fridge. This song came on, and thus began the British Invasion. And this time, the Brits won.

The Monkees - Last Train to Clarksville
Rock and Roll has been my music for many years now, of course now days they call it "Classic Rock." It is still the same, the sounds still make me want to tap my foot and wave my hands. Another Musical Icon goes Home. Godspeed, Davy!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Here he is from just last year. The Day Dream Believer himself...

I love the audience sing along.

You once thought of me as a white knight on his steed
Now you know how happy I can be
Oh, and our good times start and end without dollar one to spend
But how much baby do we really need?

Cheer up, sleepy Jean, oh what can it mean
To a daydream believer and a homecoming queen?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I just read this powerful tribute from Michael Nesmith on a blog:

"All the lovely people. Where do they all come from? So many lovely and heartfelt messages of condolence and sympathy, I don't know what to say, except my sincere thank you to all. I share and appreciate your feelings. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here," Nesmith said in a statement posted on his Facebook page. "While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange, this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the mortal experience that we know almost nothing about. I am of the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a certainty of the continuity of existence. While I don't exactly know what happens in these times, there is an ongoing sense of life that reaches in my mind out far beyond the near horizons of mortality and into the reaches of infinity. That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you. I will miss him, but I won't abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence. I will think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane. David's spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us. I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels."

www.eonline.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
lolol Davey Jones.

What a great loss for those of us that were children of the 60s and the 70s.

Those of you that don't know Davey, I suggest you look him and his group the Monkees up .

This is a great loss to the world and Davey had to take the last train .

RIP Davey! You will always be an icon of the 60s and 70s and always be remembered as an American Icon.

You were great!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

This is hitting home because I know him. I've met him. He records up in Port St Lucie at my friends studio. They work together. He always looked the picture of health.

I am stunned! I guess we really and truly never know when our number is up.
Makes me want to enjoy each moment a little bit more.

RIP Davey.

www.orlandosentinel.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

this should be pinned front page

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAnswerTo1984
I wonder how many brilliant and good people died today that got nothing but a small space in a newspaper? But you know we as a society make a big deal out of it when one some singer dies... the entire planet is turned on it's head.

He was brilliant and good and brought to the world great music, laughter and happiness.

Was your post necessary?

Have some respect the man ,his music, his acting and everything else he did helped mold the 60s and 70s in America.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

What does that mean?

I don't know exactly but I think its a reference to sports. Like when a great fighter dies I would assume that if he was a great person and touched everyone around him, it would be difficult to find someone to clean out his locker because it would just be to heart breaking and difficult.

I think thats the correct explanation.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by VBarbarino

What does that mean?

I don't know exactly but I think its a reference to sports. Like when a great fighter dies I would assume that if he was a great person and touched everyone around him, it would be difficult to find someone to clean out his locker because it would just be to heart breaking and difficult.

"Davy Jones Locker" is a name given to the Ocean sea bed. The term "Davy Jones Locker" was used by 16th Century British Pirates when they where lost overboard. Read this:-

en.wikipedia.org...

By the way you said in a previous post that Davy Jones was an "American Idol" He can't be..........he was British.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

What does that mean?

I thought it had to do with pirates or something like that?
If ya ask me....it's a dumb saying especially when so few know its meaning.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

lolol Davey Jones.

What a great loss for those of us that were children of the 60s and the 70s.

Those of you that don't know Davey, I suggest you look him and his group the Monkees up .

This is a great loss to the world and Davey had to take the last train .

RIP Davey! You will always be an icon of the 60s and 70s and always be remembered as an American Icon.

You were great!

Although we're getting used to it, it was a total shock to those who knew him more personally. According to his daughter (I read) Davy just had an annual check-up at the doctors last month and was in the picture of health.

I didn't know him well...only as an acquaintance through my friend but, when I've seen him, he was the all-American poster child (with a British accent) for health.

But like his family said, at least he died doing what he loved and that was tending to his horses.

And for those who weren't aware, Davy was a HUGE jokester. He was almost like a stand up comedian. He had a wonderful sense of humor. Even at his own expense.

RIP. See you on the flipside!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I mentioned earlier that my mom took me to see them live;
yesterday she called me; with a 'sad' tone she said, "hi...did you hear?"
And reminisced with me about them, the concert she took me to....etc.

The Monkees had a huge impact on the 60s and 70s...not just for us who were kids, but for a lot of our parents, too. It's great to see younger folks on here who've come to appreciate them as well.

It's a sad thing.
Like when Princess Diana died....
just saddening.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I was about 8 or 9 when the Monkees first aired. It was just so sad to hear about Davy passing. He was still so cute just a bit more grey in the hair but still adorable. I had such a crush on him and Mickey. My cousin and I use to play pretend games like we were on dates with them.

I also lost my little dog last week to complications from cancer and heart disease, so this just made my sadness even more .

<< 1   >>

join