It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden Camera footage: Citizens harassed when trying to file police complaint

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
We all knew things were bad, but I never knew things were this bad. Just saw this video of citizens trying to go into different police stations trying to get complaint forms. What happens next is beyond disgusting. Instead of simply giving the citizen the form, they were instead harassed and intimidated to the point of giving up or being told to leave.

I'm not sure how this works, but the officer manning the desk or the immediate supervisor told the civilian to tell them what was going on. Obviously feeling uneasy, the civilian declined and asked for a form to write it down. The police told them that they needed to tell them what was going on before they were given a form and things escalated from there.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The video is highly edited...we only see bits of situations....so how can anyone form a legit judgement based on that? How did the complainers behave before we see them? And some of the "complainers" are incredibly annoying...

I have filed a complaint before and had no issue...

This video proves nothing.....
edit on February 29th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This is the full version of this stuff,

America's Largest Street Gang

The reality that the police make it difficult to file a complaint should be disturbing to everyone.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Edited or not, I think I see plenty in the videos that is way over the top.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Greeneyedleo I am shocked with your reply.

These videos are clearly showing irritated police officers withholding a citizens right.
Every last clip, or full video has citizens merely asking how to file a complaint...
And every last one of the officers shows irritation, or anger, from perhaps being exposed?
Do they have something to hide?

There is no reason why these officers should worry about filing a complaint.
It's a simple matter of writing down exactly what you complaint is about.

All of these LEO's didn't even take the first step of getting a form.
Instead, they question the sanity of some, the identification of others, etc...
Power trips, in my opinion.

Complete and utter abuse of power.
Lack of integrity and honesty.

This is what a police state looks like.
"Don't question the authority!"

When in reality, WE pay their wages.
To Serve and protect the people...
The only thing they are protecting is their jobs.

It's alright though, because you either accept it or fight it.
When the bricks start tumbling, they won't have jobs either.
Unless they work for the new form of gov't.
Because this one is soon to be broke.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Ok, I dont know where to start.

First, the people making the video were obviously trying to get a reaction out of the police. I think it is safe to say that a person who riggs up a hidden camera and walks into a police station to try to file a complaint is looking for a particular reaction and will do what they have to to find it. Like being difficult to the point the police get mad and have a poor reaction.

Second, there was no "hindering" of anyone trying to make a complaint. The guy asked and the police responded with simple questions. There is obviously a process that must be followed. No one was denied outright or told that they would not listen to their complaint.

I do not think it is out of line for a supervisor, which most of the police they were speaking to were, to ask a person to identify themselves. A person cannot file a criminal complaint against another person in court anonymously, why should this be an different?

I also do not think it is out of line for the supervisor to ask which officer was involved. If you walk into County A's police station and you want to complain about an officer from City B then you can be referred to the correct place to file a complaint.

I also do not think it is out of line for the supervisor to ask for a reader's digest version of what happened. This is so the supervisor knows how to refer the complaint. If you go into a police station and complain because an officer wrote you a ticket and you disagree with it then there is no complaint. That matter will have to handled in court. If you go into a police station and complain because an officer's attitude was poor, then the supervisor will be the one to discipline the officer anyway. If the complaint is of a more serious nature, like brutality or other criminality, then the case will be referred to Internal Affairs. Also, this cuts down on completely false complaints. It makes the person complaining recite the incident from memory. That way, they can not go home and have all the time in the world to make up some story.

Third, most police department's complaint forms are for more serious matters and are tracked by Internal Affairs to ENSURE they are followed up on. That is why it has to be documented as to who it is issued to and why they are making the complaint.

Fourth, an officer can sue a person if it is found that their brutality complaint is completely false. Believe it or not, it is a very bad experience for a good police officer to be wrongly or falsely accused. Just like a regular person who is wrongly or falsely accused. If the complaint is found to be COMPLETELY falsified then the person making the complaint is liable in civil and criminal court. That means that the officer CAN, but rarely do, hold the person liable in civil court for mental anguish.

Fifth, there are other avenues to follow if you have a LEGITIMATE complaint and the police are not willing to listen (which is not the case in these videos). You can contact Internal Affairs directly and not have to speak with supervisors at the patrol level, or you can contact the State's Attorney's office directly and not have to speak with the police at all.

The truth is, in these videos there was most likely no complaint at all. It was a poor attempt to make a video and label it as exposing police misconduct when really the guy just rigged a hidden camera and attempted to provoke a reaction from the police.

Get real.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by areyouserious2010

Basically your supporting a system that can enable the intimidation of victims of police abuses. The officer involved needs to be taken to the side and given a better education to handle these issues(he comes across as "protecting their own" type mentality). I can understand if the Officer wanted the person to fill the form out then and there, put it in a secure envelope and then give the victim a reference number(so they can check with internal alter). All too often I have seen cops try to play the "oh that is not a criminal act" or "that is a civil matter" BS.

Internal Investigation needs to be a completely separate entity from Police forces(imagine a police force that only has the legal authority to police police officers). With it's own hierarchy and buildings. So that way people who have complaints can file them without having to deal with intimidation or harassment. Normal Police Officers should only have the address and phone number for Internal Affairs.

edit on 3-3-2012 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

A form is a form, a bit of paper so what are you talking about by saying it proves nothing.

It proves people are being treated as fools when they ask for a form to make a formal conplaint, simple realy

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
This is the full version of this stuff,

America's Largest Street Gang

The reality that the police make it difficult to file a complaint should be disturbing to everyone.

This video perfectly illustrates why any police officer who crosses the thin line, needs to be arrested for Insurrection against the State(treason) and sentenced to life in jail or death row.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Probably a good idea to have a camera or recording device of some sort when dealing with police. I haven't had any REAL trouble with police, knock on wood, but I really can't imagine dealing with something like this. Police should be held more accountable, I think it's high time citizens demand this and the more proof you get by recording vids and audio, the better your case.

new topics

top topics

join