It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laptops vs desktops.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Which do you prefer laptops or desktops and why?

Laptops have a smaller form factor, smaller screens, and harder to replace parts that go out.

Desktops are more powerful, take up more space (unless you get a slimline,) easier to replace parts that go bad, can have any screen size.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PharohGnosis

depends on what you normally use a computer for...
work? laptop
gaming? desktop

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

For Games a desktop, for internet and work a laptop.

Even video play back on laptops can be very damaging basicaly because of issues with heating, cant particularly be upgraded either. Apart from a business application when you are mobile, I fail to see the point of them.

But then my desktop has sli gtx 580's so LOL at laptops.
edit on 27-2-2012 by Ixtab because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I was just putting in a chew (tobacco)....I have been reading the Wiki-leak threads, the Iranian, the politics threads and getting really worked up, then as I was about to look for the next intense reading I see this thread just as I placed the tobacco in my mouth but then had such a quick violent blast of laughter, I blasted my screen with tobacco buck shot. I want to thank you for lowering my blood pressure and greatly reducing my level of anxiety.

I prefer desktops because I play computer games and need the big graphic power.

(((I probably don't need to explain why I found the title of this thread so funny but I was in a rather intense frame of mind and I saw the "laptops vs desktops" as being akin to "Suni vs. #e" or "Arab vs. Jew" and the absurdity of Laptops vs desktops just hit my funny bone hard. I of course figured out this threads meaning way before I was able to clean off my screen....on that note....if anyone has ever had to clean something foreign off your computer screen, I submit that chewing tobacco has to be very high on the undesirable list.)))
edit on 27-2-2012 by Res Ipsa because: explanation for humor and result of it

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by PharohGnosis
Which do you prefer laptops or desktops and why?

Laptops have a smaller form factor, smaller screens, and harder to replace parts that go out.

Desktops are more powerful, take up more space (unless you get a slimline,) easier to replace parts that go bad, can have any screen size.

I'm a desktop fan myself. If I ever had to work while traveling, I wouldn't mind a laptop so much, but I hate their (keyboard & pointer) input options and don't like the fact that if one part of a laptop goes bad, the whole unit is effectively worthless for a time. Give me better inputs and more bang for the buck any day, at least until my use needs change.

I'd personally say it all comes down to what you're using it for. Laptops definitely win the convenient portability aspect, but they're otherwise a losing deal for my needs (why have a laptop if I'd just want to add an external keyboard and mouse anyway?).

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I have a gaming laptop and a gaming PC.

i simply put up with the noise and heat of playing on my laptop when i have to.

Any long sustained work or gaming or whatever, it HAS to be a desktop.

Id take a small formfactor PC over a laptop if i was only moving the setup randomly and rarly, but where ever possible a full pc tower is always the best option.

edit on 27-2-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I have both

My Tower/desk top
I built it myself with graphic intensity in mind and lot's of space for airflow... Game Machine

my laptop
bought as is with the best combo of features I could find... use as a portable PC for staying connected while on the Go

It really depends on what
You intend to do with it...
1 is Not better than the other

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

If you move it around... A laptop.

For any other case, a Desktop is a far better deal.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

As someone else mentioned, it's about desired usability......

Travel, work related stuff? Laptop or Tablet (leaning way towards tablet now that I have one)

Gaming? Desktop.

That's really where you draw the line, for gaming, you have to spend twice the price of a gaming desktop to be running games decently on a laptop, and with that, you've got a massive, heavy, and very HOT device on your hands.

That stuff aside....

I'm a laptop/network technician and deal with literally hundreds of thousands of laptops and netbooks, various makes and models.

If you are "savvy" and intend to keep your machine for more than a year, desktop.... Why?

Scenario...

Laptop

Problem: Network port is dead
Solution: Replace entire motherboard, by expensive usb network adapter or pcmcia adapter

desktop

Problem: Network port is dead
Solution: By a cheap pci or pci-express network card
===
Laptop

Problem: Video card is dead
Solution: Replace entire motherboard

Desktop

Problem: Video card is dead
Solution: buy a new one

=======

Laptops now come with just about everything integrated, which makes sense, many desktop boards also come with integrated devices, the problem is, desktops have expansion slots, laptops don't, once it's gone, you are pretty much stuck replacing the entire motherboard.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Laptop all the way. Got a gaming laptop and it works just fine for work too, which is all done from the laptop.

How much more power does a desktop really have anyway? And that extra power, is it really necessary? I can run every single new game on medium with some high settings (prefer lowest for ultimate pwnage
)and this things almost 2 years old and was one of the cheaper computers ($969)

Also, hot laptops. Do you have it on your lap? My computer stays warm when gaming for hours on end but never gets hot. I usually put it on top of a book so there is some breathing room. Doesn't make too much noise either.

Either way, the direction technology is moving they won't be any different real soon. Desktops may stay ahead for a while but they got to call "first"

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
If you don't need your computer to travel with you, as others have already said, you will definitely get much more bang for your buck with a desktop.

I own a really nice desktop and a decent laptop. I use my desktop for most everything, but the laptop is good for work, school, travel, etc.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Completely dependent upon your needs.
If you need mobility then a laptop is for you.
If you don't need mobility then a desktop is where it's at.

Speed and power and no longer considerations between the two.

The only caveat is the price tag. If you want the same desktop performance in a laptop you will be paying top dollar.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Completely dependent upon your needs.
If you need mobility then a laptop is for you.
If you don't need mobility then a desktop is where it's at.

Speed and power and no longer considerations between the two.

The only caveat is the price tag. If you want the same desktop performance in a laptop you will be paying top dollar.

I completely disagree with this comment, unless I understood you incorrectly.

Did you actually mean that speed and power are no longer considerations between laptops and desktops? If that is what you meant, then I can only say that you're either joking around or have absolutely no idea how computers work.

Until optical computing really matures, commercialized photon computers become a reality, there is no way in hell that a laptop can ever beat a desktop in terms of raw processing power.

A quick example would be the laptop GPU vs desktop GPU. The Nvidia mobility GPU are almost always, always slower than their desktop counter parts.

i.e.:

1. A Nvidia GTX 285 for desktop PC, is a few levels faster than the Nvidia GTX 560M for laptops.
2. A GTX 580M for laptops is about roughly the performance of about 60 to 65% compared to the desktop GTX 580 counterpart. Meaning the GTX 580M for laptops is likely to be on par to a desktop GTX 560ti. Which is # in my opinion

So, desktops gives you the advantage of performance, while laptops gives you the comfort of freedom and versatility. It depends on your needs and what you consider to be enjoyment but there is most definitely a performance difference between the two in terms of speed and power.

I've known friends that built rigs costing over $5000 just for a mere few frames more than the other guy, so it is really down to what you personally enjoy.

If you want the absolute best gaming experience, laptop is not for you. If you don't game hardcore but just use it to play WoW or Diablo III, internet surfing, simple play with various media files, then a costly rig would be a waste for you.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
As a lot of people have mentioned, it depends on how you use your computer. If you're playing graphic intensive games, a desktop is a much better option. Also, having a wired connection is preferable for banking and other secure transactions such as credit card purchases. I would never do such transactions over a WiFi connection. I suppose you could plug your laptop in directly, but that's sort of defeating the purpose of having a portable computer.

I admit laptops are nice because you aren't tethered to one spot. If you're generally web browsing, watching YouTube videos, checking email or just chatting, a laptop is great because you can kick back in the recliner or go outside on a beautiful day. Of course, there's the battery to think about unless you plug it in. Then, again, that sort of defeats the purpose.

Bottom line is both have advantages and disadvantages.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Completely dependent upon your needs. If you need mobility then a laptop is for you. If you don't need mobility then a desktop is where it's at. Speed and power and no longer considerations between the two. The only caveat is the price tag. If you want the same desktop performance in a laptop you will be paying top dollar.
reply to post by grey580

ORLY?

Ok matey, I would like to find a laptop that gives me the same performance as sli ASUS MARS II running on a Rampage IV Extreme mobo thanks.

Oh yes i'd also like my 4.0GHZ CPU [LGA2011] to run at no more than 40 degrees under load.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab

Completely dependent upon your needs. If you need mobility then a laptop is for you. If you don't need mobility then a desktop is where it's at. Speed and power and no longer considerations between the two. The only caveat is the price tag. If you want the same desktop performance in a laptop you will be paying top dollar.
reply to post by grey580

ORLY?

Ok matey, I would like to find a laptop that gives me the same performance as sli ASUS MARS II running on a Rampage IV Extreme mobo thanks.

Oh yes i'd also like my 4.0GHZ CPU [LGA2011] to run at no more than 40 degrees under load.

Cheers.

I envy you.

I've OC'ed my Core i7 960 to about 4.0Ghz and cannot go beyond that. It's the temperature you're getting that's making me jealous.

I'm running it with a hybrid liquid CPU cooler by Corsair.

I have 2x 250mm fans, 6x 120mm fans in my case right now. With this type of cooling system, my 960 is constantly hitting about the 75C mark on Prime95 under 100% load.

I have been told that the Corsair H70 is pretty crappy as a liquid cooler and that I needed a different thermal compound for the heat sink... I doubt that is what's causing the temp rise though.

new topics

top topics

join