It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook spies on phone users' text messages, report says

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
A few weeks ago my daughter received a text at 2 am on her mobile. Thinking it might be an emergency she sat up to read it. It said..
"Congratulations, so and so has just added your number to his list of facebook friends"

She does not have a face book account!!!

So even if YOU dont sign up, foolish freinds can do it for you.

Never had and never will have a FB account.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
A few weeks ago, I got a text that said, "Your facebook mobile pin number is... ####" I have never given my cell number to facebook. Pissed me off. The app came preinstalled on my android.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I'm not surprised about hearing about Facebook at all. The next will probably be Google! Whatever happened to privacy? I quit using Google, and Facebook. Don't miss them at all.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

A few weeks ago my daughter received a text at 2 am on her mobile. Thinking it might be an emergency she sat up to read it. It said..
"Congratulations, so and so has just added your number to his list of facebook friends"

She does not have a face book account!!!

So even if YOU dont sign up, foolish freinds can do it for you.

Never had and never will have a FB account.

Good for you - I'm getting out of it. I haven't even got a mobile phone and never would have one - they annoy the hell out of me. I have a land line and if people wish to talk with me they can ring it - if I don't answer - that is because a) I don't wish to talk to anyone at the mo b) I'm busy cooking a meal or having a shower or reading or living c) I'm out.

I would not and never will have an answer phone that charges people who ring you because you are not in or available HELLO - if I don't pick up the phone - what the Hell do people think it means?????????

I get lots of visits from friends and family and that's nice. Face to face chats without some phone ringing in the background and if their phone keeps ringing I ask them to please return when they have an available slot for me. So rude isn't it???

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Facebook = garbage. I had an account for a few months years ago, but I knew nothing good could come out of it. A waste of time & personal information collecting machine. Also, Mark Zuckerberg; why is this dopey faced bastard praised as a 21st century genius? The guy pioneers a social networking website that happens to blow up, & became a clear front for government agencies. As far as I'm concerned he's just a normal guy, not much more talented than the average YouTube celebrity; except in this case he created a monster of time-wasting proportions, a site that often causes more problems than it solves.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I use an app called LBE Privacy Guard.
It acts as a firewall for apps to prevent stuff like the facebook issue. Other features: Keeps apps from accessing 3g/4g networks but allow wifi or prevent any network access outright. Ad blocking for all apps. Give it a search. If there is something else better, pass along the info.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
The sheeple will just say "Well, I've got nothing to hide" and continue using facebook.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I just find it sickening that people have become so attached to a simple website.....uhh..errr..uhhh..mmmmm.

ATS IS NEWS [sometimes] DAMNIT!!!

anyway Fakebook started out as a great way to communicate and share through the web, which is what most internet based platforms are designed for. The general idea of the site gave users the ability to create an online alter ego in which they could escape reality whenever the external stimuli of life wasn't cutting it they could sign on, chit chat, share stuff, etc.

The thing is the site has slowly turned into an info bank for gov agencies, and mere stalkers period.

I got rid of my account about a month ago and honestly its weird, its like quitting smoking, you still get that sudden voice "hey see whats up on FB," even though I immediately know it doesn't even exist anymore.

The sickest part is watching people who are so out of touch with life that they sit on fb ALL DAY

and aren't even doing anything but reloading the page.

Opens ones eys truly.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by quedup
They're spying on us from all angles - watch the film/doc Thrive - it's made by the son of the founder of Proctor and Gamble and all the fact are verified and checkable - he shows exactly what's going on and what the over all plan is for the world.

Also about checking peoples emails and phone calls.

It's a Must Watch!

www.thrivemovement.com...
edit on 26-2-2012 by quedup because: (no reason given)

ROFLMFAO!

I went to that site, and it looks like the guy is trying to sell a movie. Whod've thunk it? A guy trying to make money by telling folks how evil money is!

ROFLMFAO!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Does anyone know of a site similar to facebook but without all the eavesdropping?

Youtube would have been good until google took that over too...

what about vimeo? any good?

And android phones? I'm glad i decided not to buy one as i figured you'll be under constant surviellance whenever you switch it on..
edit on 27-2-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

Glad I am not the only one having these problems, I emailed the firewall app guy and hopefully he responds. If you turn off your cellular 3g data, the connections resort to wifi transmission. Damnit I want to block this sending out of information. Very suspicious indeed right?

Currently I was able to sniff traffic sent from my iphone through the web browser, but I am currently working on a little project to direct and read all traffic sent through my router from the iphone to see exactly what my iphone is sending to amazon or apple.
edit on 082929p://2America/ChicagoMon, 27 Feb 2012 08:57:37 -0600 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by JackBauer
Mine shows some addresses to amazonaws.com, which turns out to be amazon web services? Some other ones labeled akamaitechnologies.com, ip address 63.84.59.74 based in chicago to akamai, pccw global a voice and data carrier, and iad04s01-in-f156.1e100.net out of california, belonging to none other than google.

This was all while doing nothing on the phone, letting it sit idle.

Your smart phone is never "idle". There's an app called Juice Defender that includes a widget to switch off your internet connectivity. Many android phones include a 3G toggle widget, but my Droid 2 doesn't. So, you can cut off your internet and save battery power with the touch of a virtual button.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
im not surprised at all there is a lot of apps they have that tell you if you download it they can acsess your data at any time and post to facebook as you.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

If you want to hit Facebook create a Google+ account. Google isnt perfect, but their track record is far superior, and they are in the business of actually creating things of value and use (self driving cars), not just selling all your personal information.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I turned off both 3G data and wifi which caused the connections to cease. My screen now only shows this connection, which looks to me like a local socket. Not really convenient if you constantly use the web or apps but it's one way to kill them while not using the phone.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Yep that is the only solution to the situation so far. I will be tinkering with my network in the next week or so and trying to determine the contents of the data being sent out of my iphone, it will surely make a juicy thread

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I quit Facebook last year, my cell phone is an old Sprint, which I never answer, you can leave a message and I will think about calling you back. I don't text. I like my privacy and would get completely off the grid if I could. I have used Magic Jack for 3 years. No sales calls at all. Call anyone anytime and talk forever. 20 bucks a year. But if I found out they were spying on me I would quit them asap.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Even if you don't have a facebook account, or do but aren't logged in, this app has the ability to still read your sms' and transmit them back to facebook centeral. Facebook themselves admit this, but say that while its possible, they don't do it. That they are being "good".

If they are being "good", why was this functionality even included in the app to begin with? So, somehow I don't believe that they are being good, just that they have chosen not to exploit it at this point. Do I trust them that this will always be the case? No way.

Sadly my Android came with the app preinstalled, and configured as a system service so as to make it unremovable. My carrier refused to remove the app. It was either a case of return the phone, or fix it myself.

I rooted my phone, located and deleted ALL facebook.apk files. I am now facebook free. However if you choose this route yourself, be aware that you will be breaking your warranty terms, and possibly even your carriers terms of service which could lead to them disconnecting you if discovered. They dislike rooted phones on their networks. They dislike it a lot because they are no longer in control of the handset.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The most annoying thing about Facebook is Zuckerberg believes he's the only one allowed to cheat by breaking the TOS of every free email provider when your friend imports their entire contact list to join Facebook.

People are gonna give up their info because no one cares enough to read the fine print at the bottom.

It's also annoying you can find facebook on most new mobiles today, something Myspace wish they did. This will keep FB around for a long time.They are still growing a little www.alexa.com...

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Glad I am not the only one having these problems, I emailed the firewall app guy and hopefully he responds. If you turn off your cellular 3g data, the connections resort to wifi transmission. Damnit I want to block this sending out of information. Very suspicious indeed right?

Currently I was able to sniff traffic sent from my iphone through the web browser, but I am currently working on a little project to direct and read all traffic sent through my router from the iphone to see exactly what my iphone is sending to amazon or apple.
edit on 082929p://2America/ChicagoMon, 27 Feb 2012 08:57:37 -0600 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

You sure its not connected to a website hosted on amazonaws? I have a few websites on there since amazon is the cheapest way to handle lots of traffic
edit on 6-3-2012 by oniraug because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
My older kids have iphones with f/b & I hate it!

I'm forever warning & spamming them with links like these, but being kids, they think because its so socially acceptable that I'm just fussing & that its all ok.

If anyone knows any apps to make it a bit safer for them until they're older & realize their mistake, I'd appreciate it!
edit on 7-3-2012 by jewells because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join