It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK ATS: Please critique my band/music video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Alright guys,
Here's the deal: I'm apart of an 8 piece band based out of Savannah, GA. We are called Word of Mouth. The 8 of us live together and create together. We are a family. We are about delving into the truth, following the rabbit holes, enlightening ourselves and elevating others. We have big dreams. But step one is to get our voices heard. To find out if other people feel the same way about the events going on in this world. To find out how we all fit in to the puzzle. I have a feeling many of you can relate.

Anyway, that's what most of our music explores, with everything from funk to jam to rock to hip hop to classical to spoken word and all the crevices in between.

We just released our first single, 'Raise Your Voices' off of our upcoming album, 'Speaks.'
But I want to know what you think. Honestly. I know many of you out there are very opinionated. And I love that. I would love to hear some.

This is the music video.:
Thanks!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Honestly. I know many of you out there are very opinionated.

Moi? Si.

The music and the video clips sync'd up pretty good, the lyrics were not grabbing me really, but it has a decent look to it.

If you want my opinion that is.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by eleven44

Nice images in the video which seemed to match the sentiment of the song well. Upbeat music, rousing, party time kinda swing, nice stuff. It's not my genre but I can hear that it is "good". Good luck!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I liked the music and the lyrics. The only critique I can offer is the blending/harmonizing of your voices. That could use a little work to help it flow more smoothly. Of course, I am a big fan of harmony. For me it can make or break a song.

The video did convey the overload of information... almost like a mental volcano exploded onto my screen.

S&F

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by eleven44

Right on, as a musician I understand your thirst for feedback. Ima be honest though..

First off, you really need to drive the melody harder- or more emphasis on it. A lead vocalist is badly needed. It was a great, catchy melody, but seemed to drown.

The girls sound great, but almost too choiry. Powerful, none the less.

Composer neglected resolving measures at crucial points. Although seemingly generic, resolve is just that: expected. And needed. Otherwise th3 mind's ear is left itching.

I didnt catch the ATS shoutout
this is the same vid from your earlier post, no?

I like the message, though, and it did come to life.
Im not trying to be overly critical, although I personally would want that.

I watched again just now..spoken messages are great contentwise, but its not what you say-its how you say it. Some pieces pull of spoken and sung messages..the two kind of clash here. I would get a tenor, reshape the spoken part, and save the spoken message for the bridge. That organ lead was awful, im sorry. You cant combine generic and personal like that on a lead-without weakening the continuity as a whole.

Thats quite a bit of negative feedback, but it's honest, as I see the foundation of a GR3AT idea here. The feeling and message are strong, and the composer conveyed it nicely in the rhythm/build.

I have more to say, but Ive said enough. Besides, I dont feel like waking up to 8 pissed off bohemians with instruments straddling me.
Conclusion: it doesnt suck, but a lot more should have transpired between where it is now and release. My overall complaint is the spoken parts. Dont musically inflect spoken messages, or youre halfassing singing them. The feel and message ALMOST makes up for it.
I thought she was singing 'but the money's too loud,' instead of 'mind'. Heh.

Now read my " Food for thought:nom nom nom" thread posted at the same time as, and feel free to get even. Hehehe

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
MY EARS!!!

You now have to pay royalties to the owners of every tool you used without permission.
That is, if you release the clip.

Not bad

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Good work. The video works well and I enjoyed the music. Good song arrangement too. I'm with some of the others in that I think the girls voices sounded good but no so much the guys parts - they don't blend as well. I also not a big fan of rap which sounded generic to me. Ditto for the organ solo.
Nice rhythm section and the drums parts were very cool.
ATS will tell you what they think - no bones, but you asked.
Love the positive message and vibe

Keep up the good work.
(I used to live in Hardeeville
, love Savannah, such a beautiful town. So nice Sherman gave it to Lincoln for a Christmas present
)

top topics

join