It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ‘Robot and Frank’ Movie, A Realistic Portrayal Of The Not-Too-Distant-Future ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I can totally see this coming soon, and it made me think of a supplemental approach to how we can help take care of our elderly. I personally would much rather have one of these things taking care of me as opposed to being put in a home.
"Looks like Asimo' but sounds like Hal's younger brother.

A few questions, would you rather have a male or female voice? Would you rather have it look like a robot or more like a human?
I think we will see more of this soon, and I welcome it.

The main character, Frank (played by Frost/Nixon’s Frank Lagella), is developing dementia in his later years. When his son arrives Frank thinks he’s going to put him in a retirement home. Instead the son pulls a robot out of his trunk.
Thus begins the relationship between Frank and his robot which, by the way, bears a striking resemblance to Asimo. He resists at first – “I’m talking to an appliance” – but later on the old man begins warming up to his robot helper. From just looking at the four clips on Entertainment Weekly, it seems the producers wanted to realistically portray what our experience might actually be like when robots fulfill their promise of becoming personal caretakers, particularly for the elderly. No doubt it will take some getting used to. The following clip is a very believable portrayal of breakfast with a grouchy old man and his robot.

singularityhub.com...
I'd rather have my own personal Data from STNG, but maybe one day......
Thoughts?

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Good thread. I've always wondered about this day and when it would come. The whole subject brings up a lot of questions. At what point do we trust robots enough to perform these types of delicate human interactions? Do we wait until we actually give consciousness to them ? Or do we just do it when we feel the programming has enough fail safes built into it to almost guarantee there will be no accidents? What about robot abuse ? What if some people like Frank go farther in their displeasure. What if they begin to abuse the robots? Do we develope laws based on their rights as living creatures? Regardless of the fact they are machines? Because they have consciousness does that afford them the same rights as us to physical abuse ? Are the robots covered by insurance companies ? Does the patient have any rights ? Are the robots activities monitored on a continuous basis ? I could go on but those are a few of my basic questions regarding the subject.It's a tricky idea that raises a lot of doubt in my mind as to the effectiveness of it , but I just don't think we are there yet. I wouldn't really feel safe with robot's taking on that much of a role yet in our society unless A.I was achieved beyond a doubt and a computer mind could be stable and trustworthy. There is no guarantee that creating another life form such as A.I would mean it would be benign.
I think we are taking the right steps towards this type of situation but I think we need to still make a giant leap in computing to achieve this goal.
I get a kick out of how much the robot looks like Asimo. I wonder how much of a hand Honda had in the producing of this film if any.Although Honda is on the forefront of this type of technology I personally believe that the critical step of creating a human structure that mimics human motion and movement perfectly , not the type of motion that Honda uses ,will come from a rogue source.Someone outside the field like an eccentric inventor.I believe that will be the breakthrough to creating actual androids. I read somewhere that Honda said the walking upright part of the whole project has been the most difficult obstacle in their way.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Looks like an awesome movie

All hail our future robot overlords.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Robots are awesome. I would worry though if they started to think and reason on their own and feel they are more intelligent and know what's best for humans. Robots have no emotions and that could be dangerous.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mark1167

Thanks for the thoughtful reply mark1167, and you bring up many questions relating to the day robots become conscious, but I think you are contemplating two significantly spaced events, the robot and robotic consciousness. I think we are still a good ways from AI becoming autonomous and conscious. I say this now as quantum computing is coming into fruition, and who knows what tomorrow's news may bring. However, the robots for service and duty are here now, and I think the limitation of their programming capacity will keep them(and us) safe.
I think I would choose a little less condescending tones than this robot has. The one in this film is kind of funny and sassy though, and maybe a naggy voice will be desired by some.

I guess we should watch Japan for the full utilization of these things, they seem to blaze the path in robotics. I think they will be welcomed to the workforce and will make a big difference in our lives.

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Thanks. I see what your saying. I guess I was trying to blend the two events which of course are two separate things for now. But soon there will come a day when the two will merge and things might get complex. Basically I want to know what you think about the thought of once A.I has been achieved will we continue to assume that the robots will want to continue doing our dirty work for us or will we have to give them a choice? We will basically get to a point where we will use robots in this kind of role on a daily basis like we use cell phones and black berry's today. We can't live with out them. So one day we will be in the same spot with robots. But a time will come when they will acquire that spark that defines life.What happens then? What if they no longer wish to be our slaves ? How will this affect our society ? What will we do when this happens? I guess I'm looking at the morality of the whole issue.Only when and if we somehow allow A.I to happen will we have to deal with this issue. But when I look at the long term implications if it does happen I don't see a good outcome. Have you watched the Movie A.I ? Written by Stanley Kubric before he died and directed by Steven Spielberg. It's a really good look at the moral issues regarding the whole subject. Awesome movie. Hard not to get watery eyes after you watch it.

I think I would choose a little less condescending tones than this robot has. The one in this film is kind of funny and sassy though, and maybe a naggy voice will be desired by some.

I loved this quote because I thought the same thing. If you watch the movie called "Moon" Kevin Spacey does the voice of the computer that runs the base. It's less annoying than this guys voice but still after awhile it gets to you. Even the voices of the robots in "I Robot " kinda bugged me after awhile. I guess the voice issue is a whole new debate.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

P.S. It's been five years since they presented CB2. I hear he is learning at a good rate and is able to move a round a room on his own but that was reported in 2009. So I can only imagine what he's doing now.
edit on 24-2-2012 by mark1167 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Yes I have seen AI and I think it was a good portrayal of the future. I am guessing they will have various type of robots in the future, and along with the really advanced(expensive) ones, they will maintain a line of simplistic ones too for service and work tasks.
Man, as fast as things are advancing, and all the hype of the singularity, it is sure interesting times we live in. I think they will develop self evolving robot brains at some point. They already have on a small level, and naturally there is a lot of effort going into the development.
scholar.google.com...
If processing power,storage/speed keeps improving at the rate it has, it won't be long until human brain calculations become obtainable, and yea, a new book on robot morality and laws will have to be written.

Here's a few threads you might appreciate:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

ETA: Just watched your vid and wow, we may be closer than I thought!

Thanks
edit on 24-2-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

That is just creepy.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
A similar film you may like...Bicentennial Man.
The movie didn't really get the credit it deserved, but an excellent and very realistic portrayal of the future, and especially of how our lives may involve robots.

AI is another one, though darker.

top topics

join