It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are your heroes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I think looking at the archives this was last posted in 2003.

Hero
"A hero (heroine is usually used for females) (Ancient Greek: ἥρως, hḗrōs), in Greek mythology and folklore, was originally a demigod, their cult being one of the most distinctive features of ancient Greek religion.[1] Later, hero (male) and heroine (female) came to refer to characters who, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self sacrifice—that is, heroism—for some greater good of all humanity. This definition originally referred to martial courage or excellence but extended to more general moral excellence.
Stories of heroism may serve as moral examples. In classical antiquity, hero cults that venerated deified heroes such as Heracles, Perseus, and Achilles played an important role in Ancient Greek religion. Politicians, ancient and modern, have employed hero worship for their own apotheosis (i.e., cult of personality).
Heroes are subjective and not objective."
en.wikipedia.org...

On a recent thread I was told that my particular heroes should not be mentioned in the same breath. However, they are still heroes to me.

My heroes are related to times in my life:

1970s Charles Bronson the vigilante in Death Wish. Mohammed Ali the boxer who was also a jester.

1970s Clint Eastwood the protective "man with no name" who dealt with bullies in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

1980s Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran`s Rio video. Related to starting relationships with the girls.

1990s Bit of a lost decade for heroes?

2000s Ali G the fool who baffles the great and the good with his most imbecilic questions which are actually deceptively deep.

2010s Mario Balotelli the brilliantly skilled soccer player who laughs at himself and life when soccer is becoming increasingly serious.

My heroes may be described as mediocre, but to me they are heroes forone reason or another.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Everyone should have a hero. Sometimes it is helpful to have more than one.

I've always thought of Superman as my hero, but that is a bit cliche nd expected.

My dad and son are both heroes to me fr different reasons, my dad for raising me and always doing the seemingly impossible, and my son for showing me finally what life was all about. There are no words really t explain the impacts that they had on my life.

I also have a hero here on ATS.
You can see their profile here

As far as other walks of life....none that pop out immediately.

I'll edit or add as some come to mind...
edit on 23-2-2012 by youdidntseeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

First I would say both my father and step father, because of the things they taught me and the example they lived.

Bruce Lee throughout the 70's and still today. His achievements in body,mind and spirit are remarkable.

80's was, man that decade is a bit foggy, my teen years, but I would say Walt Whitman, because his works really inspired me and connected me with nature on a deeper level. Bill Moyers the journalist inspired me too.

90's was Mahnard from the band Tool, because his lyrics and vocal ability, and Jean Luke Piccard was a heroic figure for me too.

2000's, hmmm, I really got into Noam Chompsky and I also thought a lot of Matt Taibbi from Rolling Stone, and both he and Chompsky were able to stand up to wrongdoings and articulate why, and I agreed with them, and cheered.

This decade? R. Paul and Jon Stewart.

Honorable mention from all time would be Da Vinci and Tesla because of their talents, vision and achievements.

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

The only heroes I could think of are those people who help
others learn how to homestead and become self sufficient.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
You mean besides Mom and Dad?
Hmm

Well, ok...I appreciate the contributions of many scientists, but actually, as far as heros, I would venture to say visionaries are the ones that scope out the road before scientists start walking down them

Drexler, Kurzweil, Sagan perhaps.

People whom go beyond just trying to make a billion bucks and actually want their contributions to make people 100 years from now smile for their views and direction towards the greater endeavors of humanity.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

i like how my post just vanished but my heros are
60s Ernesto "Che" Guevara for sticking it to the man
70s-80s James Earl Carter Jr for his attempt to create peace in the middle east
90s Yitzhak Rabin for also trying to make peace in the middle east
2000s Anonymous for sticking it to the men who think they own the world

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Duplicate thread, closing to preserve replies.

top topics

join