It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Tiny 'Soccer Ball' Space Molecules Could Equal 10,000 Mount Everests"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Source: www.space.com...

Astronomers have discovered the solid form of tiny carbon spheres in deep space in vast cloud of particles locked in orbit around two distant stars. The carbon spheres, known as buckyballs, are formed from 60 carbon molecules linked together to form a hollow sphere, "like a soccer ball," NASA announced in a statement today (Feb. 22).

"These buckyballs are stacked together to form a solid, like oranges in a crate," said the study's lead author Nye Evans of Keele University in England in a statement. NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope, a space-based infrared observatory, spotted the buckyballs around the double-star system XX Ophiuchi.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by voicefromtheages

This is pretty cool. I'm not exactly sure what it means or what we will find out from this but anything to do with space and something unknown is always interesting.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
This is pretty cool. I'm not exactly sure what it means or what we will find out from this but anything to do with space and something unknown is always interesting.

They could easily be manufactured by some alien race. They're a very strong, efficient natural design, and could be used for all kinds of important things.

Aliens!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
At 236 in vid,
Does he say most st a a ble molecule on earth?
Y did i not know what a bucketball was

new topics

top topics

join