It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad with Candied Pecans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Had a variation in Chicago, and this is the best I could do:

Strawberry and Goat Cheese Salad with candied pecans and basalmic dressing.

Ripe strawberries (1-1.5 c) washed and sliced
Candied pecans (trader Joes has both regular and sweet and spicy) approx 1/2 c
Mixed greens (mesculin blend or some mix of green and red greens, or spinach) approx 4 c
2 oz fresh goat cheese (crumbled)
1/2 c red onion (sliced, then marinated overnight)
2 tb apple cider vinegar
2 tb honey
2 tb water
1/4 c good Basalmic vinegar
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 brown sugar
black pepper to taste
salt to taste

Mix the honey, apple cider vinegar and water in small sealable container, close and shake until fully mixed.

Cut red onion into 2" x 1/8" strips and add to vinegar mixture, close and refrigerate overnight.

Add basalmic, brown sugar and olive oil to small sealable jar, seal and shake until fully integrated and refrigerate.

Wash and rinse greens well (either a nice mesculin mix or red/green greens-mix, like endive, red leaf and romaine, even arugula) tear or slice into smallish pieces add to large bowl. Wash and rinse strawberries and slice into 1/2" slices, add to bowl. crumble goat cheese over contents of bowl. Sprinkle pecans over contents of bowl. Remove red onions from marinade and distribute evenly over salad. Sprinkle salad evenly with the Basalmic mixture, toss salad thoroughly and serve in 3-4 large bowls. Pepper and salt lightly to taste. Optionally you can add sliced fried chicken tenders, dried cranberries, and/or salted sunflower seeds. This is a complex salad that you will need to balance your personal sweet/sour/savory tastes to. This would also work with pears and different kinds of cheeses or nuts.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

mmmm......sounds yummy!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

It sounds heavenly but something I am unlikely to try except in my mind. Now go away, you're making me incredibly hungry and at 6:47am that should be illegal!

join