It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you believe me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
If I told you Gum, as in chewing gum, was a ploy by Big Tobacco to get young children Orally Fixated. Which results in future profits for Cigarettes?

Trident or Big Red anybody?

Follow the Paper Trail $$$$$$

Dirty Mouth? Clean it out with

Truth

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Chewing gum has been around a lot longer than the tobacco companies.....

The History of Chewing Gum and Bubble Gum

Timeline

The ancient Greeks chewed mastiche - a chewing gum made from the resin of the mastic tree.
The ancient Mayans chewed chicle which is the sap from the sapodilla tree.
North American Indians chewed the sap from spruce trees and passed the habit along to the settlers.
Early American settlers made a chewing gum from spruce sap and beeswax.
In 1848, John B. Curtis made and sold the first commercial chewing gum called the State of Maine Pure Spruce Gum.
In 1850, Curtis started selling flavored paraffin gums becoming more popular than spruce gums.
On December 28 1869, William Finley Semple became the first person to patent a chewing gum - U.S patent #98,304.

inventors.about.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Look the History of Soda.

Started with the Beer companies. Anheuser Busch started producing soda when they couldn't generate a profit from beer during Prohibition.

All to generate money. Oral Fixation=Smoking Addiction
edit on 2/19/2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Personally i dont think it makes a difference, its based on the childs up bringing, i have had chewing gum and bubblegum my whole life and i havent even touched a cigarette and dont plan on it, i think its just the environment people grow up in

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
My own thinking is that Bugs Bunny was a spokesman for the tobacco industry. He was always cool, polished and succesful, and he always had that carrot in his mouth. And kids could watch Bugs before they could chew gum.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Honestly?

No, I wouldn't believe you.

What next, the cardboard tube in toilet roll is a secret suggestion to start smoking due to its shape?

You're crazy man.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact
Oral Fixation=Smoking Addiction

So anyone playing a wind/brass instrument or those who enjoy giving oral sex to males are secret smokers?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact
Look the History of Soda.

Started with the Beer companies. Anheuser Busch started producing soda when they couldn't generate a profit from beer during Prohibition.

All to generate money. Oral Fixation=Smoking Addiction
edit on 2/19/2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

If that were the case...then breast feeding babies causes smoking addiction.....

I don't buy into your narrow view of what causes addictions. My Daughter never smoked. She was both breast fed, chewed gum sometimes, and drank juice out of bottles.

Des

edit on 19-2-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Dear curious7,

I'm really sorry. I'm not very good at writing satire, my fault. I don't believe the Bugs Bunny theory for a moment. (I was going to put in that hot dogs, because of their larger size, are only a ploy to create cigar smokers.)

Cigarettes are so different from any food or drink that it seems too big a leap to say that gum is a "gateway drug" for smoking. Look at all the other factors involved: societal pressures, both for and against, cost, age, etc. Chewing gum seems to be an extremely weak factor.

Besides, everybody has chewed gum, smoking is falling off. That doesn't agree with the OP's theory.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I still stand by all of comments in this thread...

I really think its a valid point and worth looking into.

Soft Drink History

join