It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian warships sail into the Mediterranean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I thought this would be up, my friend alerted me to this. Apparently no one is really sure what they are doing there, but it's just one Destroyer and a supply ship. So I doubt it's much of a provocation for anything.

(CNN) -- Two Iranian warships sailed through Egypt's Suez Canal into the Mediterranean Sea, Iran's semi-official Mehr news agency reported Saturday, amid heightened tensions in the region. The move represents only the second time such ships have crossed the Suez Canal since the Islamic republic's 1979 revolution. The first time took place in February 2011, just days after Egypt's post-Hosni Mubarak government gave the green light to the passage -- putting Egypt's new military leaders in a prickly position with its Israeli neighbor.

Here's the link Iranian warships sail into the Mediterranean

My friend was telling me something about backing Syria.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I doubt they are just sight seeing.

One destroyer and another ship = oh well

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
There was a video on RT of the resupply ship and the "destroyer" passing through Suez, I think was it;

www.youtube.com...

I am a little uncertain as to the timeline of these ships passing though the Suez, there are now news items indicating they are returning and passing back through the Suez canal today, Tuesday, these news articles, among others, show this;

www.naharnet.com...
www.zawya.com...

If they are returning straight away then this was a very short stop indeed, perhaps a sense of urgency pervades their return, "helping to train the Syrian navy" must of been a series of power points, a quick tour of the ship, and a ride in a dinghy.

Speculation is cheap, but perhaps they only arrived to pick up some highly needed disposable components previously dropped off at Tartus - little more than a courier run.

join