It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British tanks to be sent to Germany for storage so army can sell land in UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Thousands of the British military's tanks, carriers and cars will head across the Channel because of MoD plans to sell off its vast complex at Ashchurch in Gloucestershire. This is where it stores or repairs up to 6,000 vehicles, ready for duty.

The problem of where to put them all when the 72-hectare (178-acre) site is sold has been troubling military planners, who have plumped for Mönchengladbach in western Germany. The city in North-Rhine Westphalia is home to the British-owned Ayrshire barracks.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Why Germany does the UK not have enough MOD land to store these tanks and carriers , or is it that they are being shipped for future european use in the event of social unrest .

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Droidinvoid
or is it that they are being shipped for future european use

Remember, Europe is the place that they probably would be used in any circumstances, so it makes sense to store them there....

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
tanks have become useless as actual fighting units except in very tight areas due to they're very easy to pick off from beyond the horizon with missles/helicopters so realistically they'd probably be better off stripped down and sold to china/inda as scrap than dumped in germany until they rot into the ground

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

I would disagree, that's just as bad as saying man power ise useless because they can get picked off from miles away too! Doh
Or that aircraft is bad because they too can be shot down quite easily depending the country we're at war with.

edit on 17/2/12 by David291 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
tanks have become useless as actual fighting units except in very tight areas due to they're very easy to pick off from beyond the horizon with missles/helicopters so realistically they'd probably be better off stripped down and sold to china/inda as scrap than dumped in germany until they rot into the ground

You should check out the Korean war. It is primarily a war of armory until the Chinese intervened.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Although to the OP this is quite strange, how is it cheaper to move them abroad and store them?
Maybe they are preparing for something big, some upcoming war? or"intervention" as they like to put, syria or iran?

maybe just too much fear mongering for me tonight...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I think it's not true...

The United Kingdom is in a huge defense type situation. If I were UK Commander of Military, I would have my troops surounding the Russian Border

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by matty1053

conventional warfre - minus nukes/biological etc EU would win hands down. Any other type of war, everyone loses. just an opinion ofc.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Just more evidence that Germany is the real target. German Intelligence has been behind everything from 9/11 to the latest terror attacks.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by David291

what i mean is that tanks as a sweeping force are very open now due to all the observational technology we have today so the moment someone fires up a tank there can be someone the other side of the world giving the ok to a local unit to destroy it from beyond the horizon

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

what i mean is that tanks as a sweeping force are very open now due to all the observational technology we have today so the moment someone fires up a tank there can be someone the other side of the world giving the ok to a local unit to destroy it from beyond the horizon

I'm interested, any links to this claim?

2nd line.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

that stands for anything, not only tanks... ofcourse if this was correct.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by theBigToe

You should check out the Korean war. It is primarily a war of armory until the Chinese intervened.

Sorry, that was then. This is now. Weapons raining from the skies either from standoff aircraft/triangles, orbital weapons platforms (lasers/kinetic or plain ol' ICBMs are the game today

WWI was the era of the battleship
WWII was the era of the flattop-borne aircraft.
Today's WW III will be war from afar with a touch of a button as the image flickers on the screen.
Any navy and anything that moves slowly (tanks, etc.) is quickly deadmeat.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

that may be so but you can't win a war on that alone.
2nd line.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Droidinvoid

POMCUS redeployment perhaps?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Originally posted by theBigToe

Sorry, that was then. This is now. Weapons raining from the skies either from standoff aircraft/triangles, orbital weapons platforms (lasers/kinetic or plain ol' ICBMs are the game today

WWI was the era of the battleship
WWII was the era of the flattop-borne aircraft.
Today's WW III will be war from afar with a touch of a button as the image flickers on the screen.
Any navy and anything that moves slowly (tanks, etc.) is quickly deadmeat.

Unless the UK tries to leave the EU and the EU tries to use force to keep the UK in the EU.....

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
those vehicles are going to Germany waiting to be sold or even given to foreign armies, The Jorden army had a nice gift of MK 1 Challenger tanks not so long ago. Plus there is not enough manpower to man those vehicles now, and the sale of the depot in England will help finances for a couple of weeks!

new topics

top topics

join