It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft denounces Google for bypassing Safari privacy settings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
It looks google has boogled by somehow bypassing the Apple Safari browser privacy settings !!

Micro$oft is jumping on the news that was exposed in the WSJ.

Google was able to track user infomation without the user's knowledge.

"Apparently, Google has been able to track users of Apple's Safari browser while they surf the web on their Apple iPhones, iPads and Macs," Ryan Gavin, General Manager for Internet Explorer Business and Marketing, wrote in a blog posted today. "This type of tracking by Google is not new. The novelty here is that Google apparently circumvented the privacy protections built into Apple's Safari browser in a deliberate, and ultimately, successful fashion."

Beyond getting in yet another dig at Google over privacy concerns, Gavin took the opportunity to tout Microsoft's own browser.

"If you find this type of behavior alarming and want to protect your confidential information and privacy while you're online, there are alternatives for you," Gavin wrote. "Windows Internet Explorer is the browser that respects your privacy. Through unique built in features like Tracking Protection and other privacy features in IE9, you are in control of who is tracking your actions online."
CNET article

Google Inc. and other advertising companies have been bypassing the privacy settings of millions of people using Apple Inc.'s Web browser on their iPhones and computers—tracking the Web-browsing habits of people who intended for that kind of monitoring to be blocked.

The companies used special computer code that tricks Apple's Safari Web-browsing software into letting them monitor many users. Safari, the most widely used browser on mobile devices, is designed to block such tracking by default.

Google disabled its code after being contacted by The Wall Street Journal.

The Google code was spotted by Stanford researcher Jonathan Mayer and independently ...
WSJ article

Is there really any such thing as Privacy anymore ??

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
As bad as this is, I dont blame google.

I blame Apple for allowing this to happen to their software and not be aware of it.
I also blame the users. We know that this is a risk that we use by using the products, and need to be more aware of what exactly we are using and the pros and cons of said products.

If I leave my backdoor open and a thief walks right in and takes something, the thief is at fault for the behavior, but I more at fault fr being negligent.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
So now they know I'm an above top secreter.
( he writes on his Iphone as sweat drips from his face)

Track away google, track away!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
IE9 would be fine, except it freezes up my pc causing me to reboot...For the truly paranoid just invest in a VPN service...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I blame google. Arnt there laws in place that prevent companies from finding loopholes in other companies softwares?

Im getting really sick of this privacy BS. We, the customer and consumer should be the ones getting paid for the information on our browsing habbits and anything else we do. Nothing is safe anymore. That leaves vulnerabilities for people who bank online, like I do. Google nor anyone else should have the ability without our permission to track us.

That's what really gets me fired up. Someone getting paid over what YOU do. ..and that person isnt YOU...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
They all do it
So were is the internet law now how come they don't get shut down for copy right it my info

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Spot On!

My two cents: Google sucks - try using startpage, or duckduckgo;
for a secure email, try neomailbox.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Yeah, it seems Google has tossed in the towel on their "don't be evil" motto. I guess they had a meeting and decided, hey--what the hell: there's no money to be made in not being evil; and besides--everyone else is doing it.

What really burns me is that Congress has been threatening to take action on a "Do Not Track" initiative. Every time it comes up, all the interested parties say, "No! No! Don't do that! We'll police ourselves!" (Where have we heard that before?) So now we're facing more restrictive laws that will no doubt have all kinds of loopholes and unintended consequences that will make things worse than they already are--and, as always, guess who the losers will be....
edit on 2/18/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Google was smart and said... "No... We wont track the government". As IF the government was hiding something... lol

So long as it doesnt effect those in government, they dont give a damn. Bastards! Everyone of them.

So that's what it comes down to. If it doesnt effect the government, they could care less what happens to it's people. Why isnt it the same for both? Are we just surfs in this fiefdom that are no longer created equal?

I want to know what happened to our government and what will be the straw that FORCES us to FORCE them...

Politics makes me soooo angry! And they say drugs and alcohol are bad for you. Hell, the government and politicians will kill you quicker!

new topics

top topics

join