It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US doesn't sign some important treates...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Ahem...

Can I state the obvious?

THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT WORK!

Full of hypocrisy and flat out BIASED politicians. So easily people rat on the USA for not �signing� these inept treaties and laws. Yet you forget we give more money to the UN than any other nation on this planet. We do it for you, not us. You actually want us to sign documents that limit our industrial capability simply for �pollution laws� while China and India are no doubt about it, the absolutely biggest offenders and they are exempted from this treaty/law/!? Please!

I highly think that the United States is in the UN simply due to world opinion. If we depart� we are bastards. If we stay and don�t sign all your laws and treaties that result in the USA forking over billions to �Lichenstein� we are cheap bastards.

Lots of you Europeans talk of American �hypocrisy,� but I see a lot more of it on your side of the Atlantic. And quite frankly, after starting 2 World Wars resulting in millions of deaths civilians and military alike, absolute methodical genocide, and an imperialistic history that makes the USA look like a joke, I tend to trust my government more than yours on what�s best for our future.

Now that I read it� seems pretty flammable, it�s not meant to be� just a rant after a long day.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
Catherder says:

"You have a section in your Constitution that does not allow any nation to impose laws and/or govern your nation....You also have a section in your constitution that says 'all men are created equal'...."

I am afraid that your information on my country's Constitution is incorrect; there is nothing in our Constitution which forbids another nation to impose laws and/or govern our nation, although, as an independent nation, such freedom for others' impositions would be a given.

I didn't say that - I was quoting another poster who noted your 11th amendment as saying:

The judicial power of the United States shall not be construed to extend to any suit in law or equity, commenced or prosecuted against one of the United States by citizens of another state, or by citizens or subjects of any foreign state.

Had I actually read it, and digested it, I would have thought it meant "Our laws can't be construed to be enforceable upon another nation or citizen in another nation." But there again I'd probably be mistaken.

"The other parts; I really don't know what the US thinking is behind not signing or not ratifying some other treaties and accords."

I can tell.

*shrug* I asked questions, I've gotten the same answers (and one arseholey answer from you). "We are better than the rest of the world. Only our opinion matters. The rest of the world is broken. The UN doesn't work." And, "All these developing nations get to pollute, so by god so should we!"

[edit on 19-9-2004 by CatHerder]

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Interesting....
The US Society is as isolationist one. Just like most European Countries until WW2.
In Europe on the other Hand people are used to internation cooperation on a way larger scale. This seems to be the reason that more of us accept the UN.

I agree that some countries try to milk the UN and that some parts of the UN need rework. BUT we can't make it any better if we ignore the UN.

Hopefully the UN will not end like the League of Nations.
If the League of Nations had the powers, the UN has now, World War 2 would never have happend.

<< 1  2   >>

join