It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wilderness Survival Guides

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I would like your opinions on which is the best survival book to put in my BOB.
I have a field guide for edible and medicinal plants specific to my region, but I would like an all around book for wilderness survival and there are soooo many to choose from.
I want to know what book you keep in your BOB and why.

Thanks

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
for me i enjoyed the military guide although im not in it but i have it on my iphone.
..its also on the internet and i have the url. which is...

www.ar15.com...

take a look at it and see if you like it.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The Army survival manual is available as a PDF online.

Your tax dollars at work.

Army Survival Manual PDF link here

Oh, and I have the Euell Gibbons book.

Stalking the wild asparagus

And now living in So. CA picked up this after seeing it in a museum. Living on acorns...

Survival skills of native Ca

This one is specific to Nuc issues, shelter building ect...
Nuc war survival skills

Also available free as a PDF. Kearny is a classic.
Kearny PDF here

I have this pocket guide that was made for WWII pilots to carry. It is hard to find but may be found on abebooks.com and ebay.

Abe Books Here Navy Pocket Guide 1944

edit on 10-2-2012 by kawika because: added link

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Much appreciated

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Try this site, Some pretty good stuff there.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Anon77

Holy Crap!!
That should keep me busy for awhile.

thx

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
These are not small books but I LOVE them! The Encyclopedia of County Living by Carla Emery and also Back to Basics which there are many additions by Reader's Digest. These are very well rounded books to help one get a foot hold once they decide to stay put and eek out a living.

But if you really want books about temp survival go to your local Army Navy Surplus! My husband got several "cool" paperbacks on all kind of stuff just a month ago for three dollars each!!!!

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I agree with the poster above. Carla's Books are a definitite must have in a long term survival scenario.
Guide
best book I ever bought.

Also a great book, with a handy rubber cover. Teaches you about everything you would need in the wilderness., a must for your BOB.
How To Stay Alive

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I use the SAS Survival Guide. Not very expansive, but it does cover a ton of info for specific climates and regions, as well as a basic "wild food" section and of course first aid.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Find one written in your part of the country.

a survival guide for the wilderness of Calif will be of little use on the east coast just like a desert survival book for the sahara desert would be near worthless in the desert of Calif or Nevada.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

I keep 3 books in my survival kit.

First of all the SAS Survival Guide covers all subjects but i find it doesnt go into enough detail on important specifics. Very useful in a tactical situation, i.e. Bear Grylls style but these situations are very rare and if you have your wits about you, you will never let yourself get into these sits.

Secondly I have the Ray Mears Outdoor Survival Handbook which is more centered around bushcraft but in a 'live off the land' survival aspect. This book gets into the nitty gritty of survival and just as important as the skill and knowledge, the mental aspects of survival and teaches some very valuable lessons in respect for the land and creatures around you.

Thirdly I keep my Food For Free pocket book with me at all times, this little beauty is no bigger than a box of matches but contains every edible plant and fungi you can imagine, with pictures, descriptions, all their uses, just everything you need to know about any edible plant. This book is more likely to save your life than any survival guide out there.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
honestly books will just take up useful space that can be used for items you will need. Your brain is the best thing to put those books in. I call it the B.O.B. ...... the Bug Out Brain..... learn these things now, and take them with you. remember to practice all techniques you learn. the key to learning good survival techniques is not to know them all, but to be proficient in the ones that work best for you... perhaps a book on anatomy, or a medical reference of some type, but that's about all I would pack for the serious emergencies. Short of going to medical school, or joining the service you should be able to teach yourself all you need to know......

top topics

join