It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Bomb Threat in Glasgow UK - Just breaking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
news.stv.tv...

Armed police have closed one of the busiest streets in Glasgow city centre amid an ongoing incident near a subway station. Nelson Mandela Place at West George Street was shut off by officers at around 3.45pm on Friday.

West George Street is also closed at West Nile Street as a result of the incident near the subway. Strathclyde Police could not confirm the nature of the incident on Friday afternoon, although several vehicles have arrived at the scene, while a police helicopter was spotted overhead.

Glasgow Subway closed Buchanan Street station at the request of the police and asked travellers to use St Enoch station instead. A police cordon was set up around Nelson Mandela Square with shoppers and commuters being diverted form the area. Businesses within the cordon were closed, while a fire engine was also called to the site. The Carlton George Hotel was among the neighbouring buildings evacuated. Craig Anderson, from Stirling, said: "I just checked in today, went for lunch and came back but now the police won't let us in and won't tell us why not."

I'm hearing lots about a woman being held at gun point in a restaurant, but others are reporting many fire engines and sniffer dogs leading others to speculate about the possibility of it being some kind of device.

Still on-going, will update as required.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
glasgownow.net...

Glasgow city centre chaos as armed police seal off Nelson Mandela Place Buchanan St subway closed. Rumours of suspect with explosive device

www.bbc.co.uk...

Police have sealed off part of Glasgow city centre to deal with an ongoing incident.

Officers from Strathclyde Police would not reveal any details but buildings around Nelson Mandela Place have been evacuated.

Part of Buchanan Street and West George Street have also been closed off.

The Buchanan Street subway station is shut but services are running as normal. Queens Street station remains open.

Odd.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
So there's a guy walked into Italian restaurant 'Amarone', claiming to have a bomb in his bag. Police are negotiating with him now.

news.stv.tv...

Armed police have closed one of the busiest streets in Glasgow city centre after reports of a man claiming to have a bomb barricaded himself into a restaurant.

Nelson Mandela Place at West George Street was shut off by officers at around 3.45pm on Friday after the incident at Amarone restaurant near Buchanan Street subway station. Police confirmed that one man was involved in the incident and no hostages were involved.

Trained negotiators are at the scene of the alleged bomb threat. West George Street is also closed at West Nile Street as a result of the incident. Strathclyde Police called several vehicles to the scene, while a police helicopter was spotted overhead.

Glasgow Subway closed Buchanan Street station at the request of the police and asked travellers to use St Enoch station instead. A spokeswoman for Amarone said: "Staff were told to evacuate the restaurant before 4pm this afternoon by police. "None of the floor staff have been told why the restaurant had to be evacuated but we have been told we won't be open for business this evening. We are currently calling all customers to cancel their bookings." A police cordon was set up around Nelson Mandela Square with shoppers and commuters being diverted form the area.

Businesses within the cordon were closed, while fire engines and ambulances were also called to the site. The Carlton George Hotel was among the neighbouring buildings evacuated. Craig Anderson, from Stirling, said: "I just checked in today, went for lunch and came back but now the police won't let us in and won't tell us why not."

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I see on glasgow News this has now been resolved and there were NO hostages involved.....news.stv.tv...
edit on 10-2-2012 by Tattersley because: accidental

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Tattersley

I see in the link no hostages involved but where in the link does it state the incident was over?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tattersley
I see on glasgow News this has now been resolved and there were NO hostages involved.....news.stv.tv...
edit on 10-2-2012 by Tattersley because: accidental

Still on-going AFAIK.

I love this town, "there's a bomb over the road", "great, let's stand here and watch it."

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Video report here now, not sure if it can be viewed outside UK.

news.stv.tv...

Royal Navy bomb disposal team there now.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Forward Command ambulance has just arrived. Curious.

For up-to-the-minute, best to follow @STVkaty on twitter.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
To conclude, It all finished around two hours ago. Eight hours to get the guy out of the restaurant, the news sources still seem a bit short on details.

www.bbc.co.uk...

A man is being held after armed police stormed in to an Italian restaurant in Glasgow city centre, ending a siege that lasted nearly eight hours.

Strathclyde Police said the man was taken into custody and driven away from the scene after armed officers stormed the restaurant at around 2330 GMT. Officers were called to the siege in Amarone, on Nelson Mandela Place, at about 15:40.

Supt Brian McInulty Strathclyde Police Police said the man was on his own inside the restaurant. Negotiators had been speaking to the man over a megaphone at the scene before he was detained. A Strathclyde Police spokeswoman said: "One male has now been detained. "Police are still at the scene and inquiries are ongoing. The man is on his way to hospital." She said police were called to an "incident" at the eatery and evacuated both those inside and those occupying surrounding buildings as a "precaution", adding that the stand-off involved one man who was contained alone inside the premises.

Earlier, Strathclyde Police confirmed that a bomb squad were at the scene. Sources have told BBC Scotland there is no hostage involved. Police are not believed to be treating the incident as terrorist-related. The restaurant and surrounding buildings were evacuated and Buchanan Street underground station was closed. Armed officers There was considerable traffic disruption with part of Buchanan Street and West George Street closed off, but police said some cordons had now been removed to alleviate congestion. Fire crews, police and ambulance staff wearing helmets were also at the scene.

Police dogs have been used in the streets and have also been seen on the Glasgow subway. Michael Irwin, a 19-year-old Glasgow University student from East Kilbride, had been travelling on the underground system to Buchanan Street when he and other passengers were told they would have to get off at St Enoch. He said: "I saw armed officers with shields in the area. "The dog branch was brought in and there is just loads of emergency services all over the place."

All in a days work I guess.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Heard an announcement on Clyde 1 when in glasgow today in the car with a buddy,details were kinda sketchy but thought to myself it wasprobably a gun or bomb
...Was meant to be heading to the toon today for some shopping!!!

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScottishBiker420
Heard an announcement on Clyde 1 when in glasgow today in the car with a buddy,details were kinda sketchy but thought to myself it wasprobably a gun or bomb
...Was meant to be heading to the toon today for some shopping!!!

Ach, Slaters will still be open in the morning

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Just to follow up once again, the guy has been charged. He's from Merseyside, England.

Man charged after Amarone restaurant siege in Glasgow A man has been charged with breach of the peace after a siege at a Glasgow restaurant on Friday evening.

Edward Johnston, 38, of Whiston, Merseyside, made no plea or declaration when he appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court. A large area of Glasgow city centre was sealed off for almost eight hours when police were called to the Amarone Italian restaurant last week.

Mr Johnston was remanded to hospital for an assessment order. He will appear in court again at a later date.

www.bbc.co.uk...

top topics

join