It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy preps railgun for tests

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Like they need a gun like this!
the enemy just have a missle that moves to one side ever so often.
it could never hit it, as it moves about.

just look at the Size of it.
just use the Old battle ship guns.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
If they build a particle detector around the target they might find the Higgs boson first...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
Like they need a gun like this!
the enemy just have a missle that moves to one side ever so often.
it could never hit it, as it moves about.

just look at the Size of it.
just use the Old battle ship guns.

I spent many years in the Navy working on missile systems. They do not just "moves to one side ever so often."
Missiles can be sent on a misleading course (but also depends upon the missile system, type of missile and guidance system it has).

Guns that are used to take our missiles, are guided by a radar system that tracks the missile, as the missile moves, the tracking for the gun moves. Quick enough rate of fire from the gun, and no sir, I'm sorry, that missile will not be able to "dodge" like you think it can.

Size? Just use old battle ship guns? That gun sir, is MUCH smaller than a battle ship gun, which uses a much larger projectile, AND must use gun powder to fire it. Gun powder is dangerous.

Main battle tactic of sinking a large battle ship in days of old, was to detonate it's powder magazines. If you could use your guns to hit your enemy's powder mag, the resulting explosion was enough to sink the ship.

Gun powder also has a shelf life, and can be accidently ignited. Having helped this type of ammo while I was in the navy, I know how dangerous not only the powder mags can be, but the HE rounds that a gun shoots can be.

This gun requires only electricity to fire, and is a lot safer to operate.

If you were to actually READ the articles, you'd understand that the cost of operation of this gun is also a LOT less than normal powder guns, and with the scaling back of the military, it will help with those cost cuts.
edit on 29-2-2012 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join