It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Pride Parades across the World: Sharing ideas and identities.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I'd love to see some clips of Gay Pride Parades from across from the globe.

I don't usually partake, but I do find the concept very interesting.
In SA the logistical problem is being representative of all classes and races, and often people have to be bussed into historically segregated spaces.

I think our first gay parade in SA was in 1990 (just before the end of apartheid), and people were so frightened of the security police that some wore paper bags over their heads.
It made the headlines back then, and I recall the shock and outrage quite clearly.

The first ever African gay and lesbian Pride parade took place in Johannesburg in 1990. Fewer than a thousand people attended – some even wore paper bags over their heads so as not be identified. In subsequent years Joburg Pride has grown in size and visibility – in 2003 boasting almost 20 000 participants. While the event has become less political and more celebratory in nature, Pride remains, at its core, a call for gay and lesbian equality and a recognition of our nation’s rich diversity.

joburgpride.org...

Here is some footage from Johannesberg Pride 2011.

edit on 7-2-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I'd love to see some clips of Gay Pride Parades from across from the globe.

Uhhh....I'm sure you would...
... you may be on the wrong web site for that.

Try google.

edit on 7-2-2012 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

How so?

Why can't I see colorful parades?

Maybe I'll see a butt like in a bikini here or there (and in Sydney attitudes to women's breasts are more Brazilian at times - no exposed nipples), but most pride parades here have nothing illegal or restricted.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I-I dont understand... How could this have happened?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Can't grab clips because of the youtube issue I'm having but Birmingham, England always have a huge parade every year.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

ha ha lol, ever been to the Chicago Gay pride parade, dirty orgies on float in assless chaps and men wearing speedo's dry humping each other, I see a lot of down town families in my suburb because of how disgusting it becomes, they don't want their children exposed.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Sydney Pride 2011:

My apologies to the people who were expecting something smutty.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hapablab

Have people complained?

Most gay people I've known would've been horrified at that kind of behaviour and would complain themselves. For some in the minority, it seems like they get overly excited, simulate sex acts in public like it's ok to do so and make everyone else in that orientation get labeled as freaks and perverts which is far from the case.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

I don't know, have they complained?

Well, Pride doesn't represent all gay people.

On the other hand, few gay people would reject the rights that visible organizing has brought.

Pride events nowadays are about inclusiveness in diversity, and a lot of the people who partake are straight, or do not identify as gay or lesbian.

It's about creativity and personal freedom, and it represents different things to different people.

My thread is about such events for people who enjoy them, and it's not going to please all straight or gay people.

I'm a bit sad that anyone would associate the people in the clips enjoying a carnival atmosphere as "freaks", but I guess that was to be expected.

Well, whatever you think your gay friends should feel, I'm sure they understand the notion of "camp", even if that's not their style.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
After reading how racy and orgiastic Chicago Pride was above, I fail to find any of this, but nevertheless, it sounds like a good time was had by all (even some of the Christian protestors).

Chicago Pride 2011:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The World's smallest Pride Event?

Erie in Pennsylvania:

Interesting that some bloggers on Youtube found this smaller community event more meaningful than some of the almost "post-gay" events in world cities, which are basically now tourist attractions.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
lol complain about something in the city of Chicago?, lmao

now here is a clip I found on youtube first one to pop up, Im not into looking for more so I will share this one, no political thing here (it talks about the log cabin repubs), just want to show you some of what you really see, I dont know what you mean about not being able to find any videos showing how nasty it is, this took me a second. but maybe it depends on the level of nasty, in your video OP I see some guys humping each other lol, so to each his own I suggest, to me it should have some kind of rules, no nudity, be 50 percent dressed and no children should be able to witness this mess, its disgusting.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Although this is made by an anti-gay group and is supposed to be shocking, I fail to see anything shocking about it.

They have to use the same 3 posters with sexual innuendos twice.
Jeez, the horror of it all.
Those slogans are more lame than shocking, just like those shirts some guys wear with slogans on how drunk or well-endowed they are.
But camp does have a sardonic or self-mocking quality to it.

I don't see people wearing anything less than they do at a beach, or doing anything that people don't do in other carnival settings.

I don't see the dry humping (you must have looked very closely), but so what if there is?
Dry humping occurs in almost every hip hop music video today, and it's a common style of dance.
At least they're not doing the twist, which many preachers pointed out as the devil's dance a few decades back.

I'm not sure where the children are situated in the parade, since the whole clip is edited together by biased people.
I'm not quite sure how children are being harmed, except that they see some adults cutting loose.
That's really an issue for the people who have children and bring them to parades.
It makes me less queasy than seeing children brainwashed by religious cults with proven histories of child abuse, and a holy book that features incest and forcing girls to marry their rapists.
But sadly those kids are at the mercy of their fundamentalist parents, and there is nothing one can do.

I'd much rather see soldiers dancing on a float than throwing bombs or chemicals on children in some foreign country.
You go guys - as AC/DC sang: "Shoot to Thrill".

PS. I'm starting to think your definition of "dry humping" is different to mine.
To me it's when one dance partner gyrates slightly bent over, and the over dances behind them until his crotch almost touches her bum (in a straight club). The Kardashian sisters sometimes pose like that.
I assume you mean it's when a dancer simply moves his hips backwards and forwards? That movement from the body core has been the normal way of dancing for about two decades now. Is this what you find shocking?
edit on 8-2-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
My Local Gay Pride Festival is quite spectacular and involves most people in the Community..

Dressing is a bit of a local past time and in my opinion Brightons gay pride parade is probably less offensive (parental discretion) a lot tamer and safer than other local events

ETA: It isn't my cup of tea.. but then again, some of the events I go to (the 5th, Wassailing, Lammas etc) are not other peoples cup of tea so while I respect their space to have fun, I'm glad that others respect mine

edit on 8/2/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

Although this is made by an anti-gay group and is supposed to be shocking, I fail to see anything shocking about it.

They have to use the same 3 posters with sexual innuendos twice.
Jeez, the horror of it all.
Those slogans are more lame than shocking, just like those shirts some guys wear with slogans on how drunk or well-endowed they are.
But camp does have a sardonic or self-mocking quality to it.

I don't see people wearing anything less than they do at a beach, or doing anything that people don't do in other carnival settings.

I don't see the dry humping (you must have looked very closely), but so what if there is?
Dry humping occurs in almost every hip hop music video today, and it's a common style of dance.
At least they're not doing the twist, which many preachers pointed out as the devil's dance a few decades back.

I'm not sure where the children are situated in the parade, since the whole clip is edited together by biased people.
I'm not quite sure how children are being harmed, except that they see some adults cutting loose.
That's really an issue for the people who have children and bring them to parades.
It makes me less queasy than seeing children brainwashed by religious cults with proven histories of child abuse, and a holy book that features incest and forcing girls to marry their rapists.
But sadly those kids are at the mercy of their fundamentalist parents, and there is nothing one can do.

I'd much rather see soldiers dancing on a float than throwing bombs or chemicals on children in some foreign country.
You go guys - as AC/DC sang: "Shoot to Thrill".

PS. I'm starting to think your definition of "dry humping" is different to mine.
To me it's when one dance partner gyrates slightly bent over, and the over dances behind them until his crotch almost touches her bum (in a straight club). The Kardashian sisters sometimes pose like that.
I assume you mean it's when a dancer simply moves his hips backwards and forwards? That movement from the body core has been the normal way of dancing for about two decades now. Is this what you find shocking?
edit on 8-2-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

lol, look man, its that bad, people flee to get away from the parade, nothing but sex and its disturbing, and regardless of the anti gay makers, which I could care less about because LOOK AT WHAT THEY FOUND going on at the parade. but hey different lifestyles going on here, I disagree you accept. good luck on your search for a good gay pride parade.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I just find them all really really TACKY,plenty of gay men just live with a partner in an ordinary way.Not screetching down the road in hot pants.It just reinforces the camp bitchy queen stereotype.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Actually I was responding to the other guy that mentioned the Chicago "orgy parade" and saying that my gay friends would've complained about that behaviour themselves and then trying to persuade that member that gay people aren't freaks.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
A short general response:

Hi Curious7, my apologies if I misread your post!

On the Chicago Parade: I've never been in the US, and can't deny anyone's experience.
All I can say is the supposedly "shocking" clips haven't shocked me at all.

There's some censored images of women flashing their boobs, which I also see on Jerry Springer.
Now the Jerry Springer show is also filmed in Chicago, and I wonder if it is a local custom?
Why do women get beads for flashing their breasts - does it have some meaning in the US?

Here there's been some debate on media images and the gay pride parades.
People say that there's 50 normal people to every outrageous drag queen, but the media will always focus on the more outrageous behavior.

edit on 10-2-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Less visible communities at gay pride:
The two-spirit people and float at Phoenix Pride 2008.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Christian Street Church crashes gay parade in Adelaide, Australia (2011).

The fact that gay parades attract homophobes, from neo-Nazis to vocal religious sects, is by now legendary.
I suppose it gets them away from the tedious boredom, and links them to something colorful and interesting.

I've heard about a lady in SA who has one son screaming anti-gay slogans and waving a Bible, and the other is a drag performer on a float. Both have been at every Joburg Pride Parade since 1990.
Mom says she's proud of them both.

Anyway, back to the capitalization of gay events by people who are too boring to stage their own:

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join