It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ivan slams U.S.: U.S. Deathtoll at 12, Total Deathtoll at 60

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Ivan pounds the U.S. soil, spawning tornadoes that have killed at least seven people and leaving tens of thousands of residents without power. At 5 a.m., Ivan's maximum sustained winds had decreased to 115 mph, with higher gusts, making the storm a weaker Category 3.

edition.cnn.com
After a deadly rampage across the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico, one of the fiercest Atlantic storms on record made landfall near the resort town of Gulf Shores, Alabama, at 1:50 a.m. (2:50 a.m. ET) on Thursday.

A powerful tornado leveled homes Thursday in Blountstown, Florida, west of Tallahassee, killing five people, according to officials in the Calhoun County Emergency Operations Center.

In Panama City Beach, Florida, tornadoes killed two other people riding out Ivan hours before the storm came ashore, Bay County government spokeswoman Catherine McNaught said.

Packing winds of 135 mph (217 kph) Ivan has lashed four southeastern U.S. states, with giant waves crashing against beachfront homes and ferocious winds knocking down trees and power lines.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Nearly two million residents of coastal Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and the Florida Panhandle were ordered to evacuate, causing many traffic problems.

West Florida Hospital was hit directly by the tornado. Its roof was torn off. A hospital official said she didn't think the facility had been hit by a tornado, but may have sustained damage from very high winds.

Alabama Power reported 197,000 of their customers lost power.

The party town New Orleans, known for its annual Mardi Gras was under curfew on Wednesday afternoon, with the city banning price gouging after some gas stations were caught charging $10 a gallon.

[edit on 9-16-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 9-17-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Who know's how long this link will continue to work but here ya go.
flhurricane.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Best of luck to everyone who is in the path.

Thanks for the link Deep

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Oh I feel real lucky today. I just saw that the future projected path of Both Ivan and Jeanne is directed right where I live in South Carolina. I must be special. Maybe I should have a hurricane meeting and watch a merger take place. Well maybe my luck will improve, the computers have been doing things today just to irritate me. I have to say these forecast models really top the cake.

Best of luck to all you guys who are in the path of these storms before they may get to me. I don't exactly feel quite as excited about these hurricanes or storms as the folks on the Weather Channel doing the live reports.

top topics

join