It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the fate of california...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
well for most of my life i thought that california would break apart from the western U.S. coast at the hands of earthquakes and the california fault line. until recently when i saw a history channel show on earthquakes, a man (a scientist) said that california breaking apart from the western U.S. coast is a myth and will NEVER happin. he said that the fault line will make california (or a part of it) will either go up or down. either this (his theory) was made to make shure no one in california gets scared and panics OR he is 100% correct.

what do you think???

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
If it were breaking off, it would be incredibly slow. Like several inches a year kind of slow. It would take many millions of years, thousands at best if it could do 10 feet a year, which is impossible, tectonic plates don't move that fast. So far, no movement has really been found. You have nothing to worry about. I have a science teacher who says that, but she also says we are ruining our environment and other such liberal propaganda. The media companies choose stories to scare people, otherwise almost nobody would watch.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
my understanding is that Calif. (apart from rising/sinking) is sliding to the north once west of the San Andreas fault. It could become an island in, ooh, 'bout eleventy-million years or so.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DanD9
... but she also says we are ruining our environment and other such liberal propaganda.

Why don't you learn something abuot the planetary ecology instead of just dismissing it as "Liberal Propaganda". If it was up to the "conservatives" the world would be a cesspit of waste and toxic sludge.

LIVE FOR THE SECOND, JOIN THE GREEDY OLD PARTY
Remember! Anything you leave to the next generation is a waste!

[edit on 16-9-2004 by Chuck Stevenson]

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Even if it were moving up and down, wouldnt eventually be enough to make clifornia break off and become its one islan/continent. gentlemen, we may look back on all of this and laugh, or we may be spinning in our graves. one of them has to happen, rite? rite?

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I spent almost 4 years in Southern Cal. San Diego, and Long Beach. I was there for the quake that flattened the bridge from oakland to San Fransisco. I was in A school at the time on Treasure Island. I spent a week pulling cars off the bridge. I would say honestly, If the place is going to have a quake big enough to break up California, the chances are, the quake would be so devastating that only a few, if any would survive.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

Followers of this thread might enjoy reading a fictional account of the idea of California breaking off from the continent written in 1968. It was called "The Last Days of the Late Great State of California." by Curt Gentry. A main focus of the book is to show what would happen to America without California.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Honestly there is really No reason to even worry whether it's going to break off the continent or not . I'd be more worried about your immediate future, having NO water is a Major problem. Your drought will continue. Lake mead will continue to dry up, leaving one of the biggest power producer "Hoover Dam" useless. living in the southwest is going to become near impossible in the future unless you like to live in a New Sahara desert . I wouldn't consider this man made either, just an earth cycle that we are starting to witness in our lifetimes.

top topics

join