It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing X-37 and X-40 - the ultimate history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
After almost a year of writing and decade of collecting the material, I finally finished the long avaited article, that has ambition to answer most of your questions regarding X-37 and X-40 space planes.

Introductory article about MSP and SMV architecture, Rockwell ReFly and Boeing Air Launch: www.hitechweb.genezis.eu...

Complete history of Boeing X-37 and X-40 that has ambition to answer most of your questions: www.hitechweb.genezis.eu...

English and other languages are available via Google translator. I would like to say thank you to all the people, who helped me to collect materials and information, mostly to Grigory Omelchenko, Alexandre Szames and Dan Zinngrabe.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by matej

Wow!
Super awesome! THANK YOU!

S&F!

I always wondered about the X37. It was suppose to be the shuttle replacement and an SSTO solution if I remember correctly, but, then, suddenly it was changed to just proof-of-concept.

okay, now I have to follow your links! excited!

EDIT: I mis-remembered the project numbers. The project I was remembering and associating with your links was the Single Stage To Orbit solution that looked like a big triangle with rounded edges.
Which one was that?

EDIT II: Ah, that was the Lockheed X-33 I'm remembering. Okie, now back to reading your links!
edit on 5-2-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
wow! so far jsut seen the pictures and they're amazing! thaks for the links

Originally posted by nineix
reply to post by matej

I always wondered about the X37. It was suppose to be the shuttle replacement and an SSTO solution if I remember correctly, but, then, suddenly it was changed to just proof-of-concept.

As far as we know
I bet they're doing more than testing in the 9 months at a time its up there Like how they launched it at almosat the exact time they launched OTV-2
edit on 6-2-2012 by jetflyerX because: spelling

edit on 6-2-2012 by jetflyerX because: (no reason given)

side note- does anyone else see "as far as we know" at the second part of my post? it shows up in the editor but gets cut off for me in the thread, verry odd...
edit on 6-2-2012 by jetflyerX because: odd bug

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I was fortunate to be able to observe several of the X-40A and X-37A test flights. For unpowered gliders, they were surprisingly noisy as they approached the runway. They sounded like little jets!

The first flight of the X-37A Approach and Landing Test Vehicle (ALTV) on 7 April 2006 was a little more exciting than mission planners would have liked. I watched the vehicle make a beautiful approach and touchdown, but it seemed to be using up a lot of runway during the rollout. In fact, it continued across the concrete overrun and out into the desert, only stopping when the nose gear collapsed. Prior to the flight, project personnel received patches with the words ALTV FLIGHT TEST TEAM. After the flight, I produced a small number of patches with the words ALTV OFF ROAD TEST TEAM. Not everyone found them amusing.

The X-40A Space Maneuver Vehicle (SMV) technology demonstrator, originally flown in support of the USAF Military Spaceplane Technology (MiST) program, served as an 82-percent scale model of the X-37A. Phase I of the program, beginning in September 1997, was based at Holloman AFB, New Mexico, and included just one free flight. The X-40A was then loaned to NASA to serve as a risk-reduction technology demonstrator for the X-37A ALTV program. Primary test objectives for the X-40A included validation of vehicle shape, guidance, flight control, and navigation systems and software. The X-40A arrived at NASA Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards AFB, California, on 19 May 2000. It made seven captive flights and seven free flights.

Below I have compiled a log of all X-40 free flights. Unfortunately, I don't have the serial number of the UH-60L that was used for the Phase I tests.

Phase I Flight Test - Released from UH-60L

FLT. I-1 / 11 AUG 98 : Landing on Runway 22 at Holloman AFB, New Mexico.

Phase II Flight Tests – Released from CH-47D (81-23831)

FLT. II-1 / 14 MAR 01 : Landing on Runway 22 at Edwards AFB, California.

FLT. II-2 / 12 APR 01 : Landing on Runway 22 at Edwards AFB, California.

FLT. II-3 / 26 APR 01 : Landing on Runway 22 at Edwards AFB, California.

FLT. II-4 / 05 MAY 01 : Landing on Runway 22 at Edwards AFB, California.

FLT. II-5 / 08 MAY 01 : Landing on Runway 22 at Edwards AFB, California.

FLT. II-6 / 16 MAY 01 : Landing on Runway 22 at Edwards AFB, California.

FLT. II-7 / 19 MAY 01 : Landing on Runway 22 at Edwards AFB, California.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowhawk
The X-40A Space Maneuver Vehicle (SMV) technology demonstrator, originally flown in support of the USAF Military Spaceplane Technology (MiST) program, served as an 82-percent scale model of the X-37A.

I will make just a small correction. As is stated in my text, X-40A is technically not a scale model of any X-37 version. It was derived from ReFly 309-6 configuration and built in the time, when X-37 program even did not exist. NASA selected Boeing´s ATV (Advanced Technology Vehicle) proposal as X-37 Future-X Pathfinder demonstrator during december 1998. That was more than a year after X-40A roll-out. But because X-40A was very close to the shape of Boeing ATV, it was used for approach and landing tests and Honeywell SIGI certification.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Absolutely fantastic work. Your project is
filled with more knowledge on the X-37 - 40 projects
than I 've ever found in one location.
And Hell, it's all the X planes !
How'd you do all that?? Haha
I love the pictures of it on our air force bases
and test facilities. You don't get to see that very often.
Great job, again.
I love these planes ! I love the X-47B as well.
I just built a little (29inch wingspan) 47B out of depron.
Glides amazingly well. Haven't hooked up a motor/batt/ servos
But really excited about a small stable slow flying rc plane.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by matej

So its safe to say that NUKES in space, can happen soon, remember the nuke removed from sub in the abyss, 27 in's long, about 10 mega tons each, so six in the X-40 doing a slow fly over drop, drop, drop, and they want drones over our cities,

new topics

top topics

active topics

join