It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We Ready For A Morality Pill?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I think that a picture an say a thousand words, so I wanted this thread to start with just that.

Are We Ready for a ‘Morality Pill’?

Last October, in Foshan, China, a 2-year-old girl was run over by a van. The driver did not stop. Over the next seven minutes, more than a dozen people walked or bicycled past the injured child. A second truck ran over her. Eventually, a woman pulled her to the side, and her mother arrived. The child died in a hospital. The entire scene was captured on video and caused an uproar when it was shown by a television station and posted online. A similar event occurred in London in 2004, as have others, far from the lens of a video camera.

Yet people can, and often do, behave in very different ways.

A news search for the words “hero saves” will routinely turn up stories of bystanders braving oncoming trains, swift currents and raging fires to save strangers from harm. Acts of extreme kindness, responsibility and compassion are, like their opposites, nearly universal.

Why are some people prepared to risk their lives to help a stranger when others won’t even stop to dial an emergency number?

Scientists have been exploring questions like this for decades. In the 1960s and early ’70s, famous experiments by Stanley Milgram and Philip Zimbardo suggested that most of us would, under specific circumstances, voluntarily do great harm to innocent people. During the same period, John Darley and C. Daniel Batson showed that even some seminary students on their way to give a lecture about the parable of the Good Samaritan would, if told that they were running late, walk past a stranger lying moaning beside the path. More recent research has told us a lot about what happens in the brain when people make moral decisions. But are we getting any closer to understanding what drives our moral behavior?

opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...

I then began to think about the people that would actually need this. Would someone willingly go into a drug store and by this medication? Why can we, and should we need a pill to tell us the difference between right and wrong. To feel compassion for another.

Is this what we have turned into? Monsters? Uncaring? Dare I say "Evil"?

This seems to be the more fitting questions for many. But I decided to think about who can benefit from this. Please hear me out before bashing.

If this was a pill that would easily be brought from a store who would buy it?

A women that is being abused, who can slip a couple of them into her abusive husbands meals?

A child that sees this abuse and thinks this could help?

A person fighting their own demons, concerned with their behavior, but finding no answers.

Of course many of us here are capable of understanding the true meaning to these types of drugs and what they may mean in the long run, but sometimes when you see the world around you, do you think that maybe this one might be worth it?

I would love to hear others opinions on this.
This isn't about a "drug", this about what its for.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
yes the world can use a morality pill

a chill pill

and a empathy pill

Nobody would take it , because nobody is going to believe they need it . Everyone assumes everyone else should be like them . Well this is for a select few .

But these select few spread there ideologies like its fire to others who think its normal behavoir .

We need more then a mortality pill to fix this mess...

gonna need the source to rip a hole through the fabric of space , and say

"HERE I AM YOU @$@# 's , I been away for a little bit and this is what you have done!! , snaps his finger and bam"

world cares again

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This might be a great remedy for the psychopaths... Although I'm unsure if their brain is even capable of empathy, love or psychologically comprehending morals. I believe there's an abnormality in the amygdala of a psychopaths brain; it's physically smaller than a normal persons.

This pill might be "useful" for in some peoples eyes, but it would absolutely degrade & be exploited. Most likely taking a turn for the worse.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Would be interesting to see what it actually did to people. In specific, the people who kill others because they see them as immoral or wicked.

Would it make someone who sees themselves as a moral vindicator overly aggressive?

Like the movie Serenity, would it create Reavers?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The moral ramifications of a morality pill? That's too meta, man.

Such a thing might cause heads to roll, if it were to seem the right thing to do.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Please add any comments to the existing thread found here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join