It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COMING SOON TO MINNESOTA: WOLF HUNTING SEASON!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Minnesota officials on Thursday outlined plans to permit a hunting season for the gray wolf this year following its removal from the federal endangered species protections, prompting opponents of the plan to consider a court challenge. The Raw Stories website

So here is what's going on. I live and work at a resort that sits on the Canadian boarder in Minnesota. Here, our guest can sprinkle a bag of corn outside their cabin window, and watch as many deer appear to enjoy a snack.

Lately though we are seeing less deer and more dead deer carcus laying everywhere. We see this on the ski trails, on the hiking trails, on the frozen lake, and even some appear at the front door of many of our guests cabins.

The moose even seem to be seen less than last year, and it's got locals concerned.

The one thing we have been seeing is the wolves. They are all around, and you can bet you will see more than one throughout the day. Let me just tell you a quick story. My boyfriend and a friend were in their deer stand during hunting season a few months ago, and a doe ran right under them. My boyfriend said lets get ready because guarentee a buck will be chasing her. A few seconds passed, and what do you know a pack of six wolves ran by. Obviously there probably wasn't a happy ending for the doe.

I do not kill animals, and the deer hunters like my boyfriend are allowed to kill one deer per year, and this deer is used for food. People up here do not waste any part of the deer up here in the Northwoods.

Back to the subject, we are seeing that the dominate animal has become the wolf. And I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about a human being attacked soon, seeing as how these guys are not afraid of you. It's weird, they just stare at you, like they are thinking and planning.

So this is what we know, they are planning a hunting season, where you have to apply for a license. Its then like a lotto and if you get picked you can kill one wolf. We have heard once 400 wolves have been killed, they will then close the season.

Now as stated before I do not kill animals, BUT YOU CAN BET I AM GONNA APPLY AND IF I CAN I WILL SHOT A WOLF. I worry about my house dog whom is always running around outside, and my boyfriends sled dogs. What if he is mushing and they come across a pack of hungry wolves. And I know some of you are going to say that the wolves are sacred, but what if they were taking over your neighborhood, and came across your house pets or small children playing outside.

I want to know what you think of all this, and if you would side with us, or the wolves?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I have pygmy goats, and a Great Pyrenees to guard them. The only real threat where I live, is coyotes that run in packs up here. I don't blame you at all on how you feel about the safety of your animals.

If wolves were to make my area their hunting grounds, I would shoot any that tried to establish my territory, and goats as theirs'.

Des

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
your gonna get smashed with animal defenders lol.

the truth is that when hunting is applied correctly it can help mantain a balance in our wilderness while helping the economy. Poaching is wrong. Legal hunting is ok.

plus those jokers at PETA dont even help animals half the time. Hunters put more money towards the conservation of our natural resources than everyone else

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Ops4Ops

It looks like there were some recent changes in the rules around wolves in MN.

Minnesota’s Wolf Management Plan to take effect Jan. 27

In essence it looks like the authority for control of the MN wolf population has moved from the feds back to the state (due to population) and the state is making a few changes..

“The state’s Wolf Management Plan will allow Minnesotans more flexibility to address the real conflicts that occur between wolves and humans.”

The major change with state management is the ability of individual people to directly protect their animals from wolf depredation, subject to certain restrictions. In addition, the state-certified gray wolf predator control program will be available to individuals as another option to deal with livestock depredation.

The Wolf Management Plan has provisions for taking wolves that are posing risks to livestock and domestic pets. Owners of livestock, guard animal or domestic animals may shoot or destroy wolves that pose an immediate threat to their animals on property they own or lease, in accordance with local statutes. “Immediate threat” means observing a gray wolf in the act of stalking, attacking or killing livestock, a guard animal or a domestic pet under the supervision of the owner.

In addition, the owner of a domestic pet may shoot or destroy a gray wolf posing an immediate threat on any property, as long as the owner is supervising the pet.

In all cases, a person shooting or destroying a gray wolf under these provisions must protect all evidence and report the taking to a DNR conservation officer within 48 hours. The wolf carcass must be surrendered to the conservation officer.

So according to the above if a wolf was threatening your pet, sled dogs, kids, you, etc.. you could do something about it.

Here is some info on the season you mentioned..
DNR releases proposal for wolf harvest season this fall

It doesn't look like the season is a done deal yet.

Men and wolves have very rarely been able to find a good way to co-exist as long as their have been men and wolves. So, here is to hoping that MN is able to figure out a way that works.

..and an edit for clarity - say I'm out walking my dog, kid, wife whatever and I feel threatened by a wolf. If I can't scare it off or get to safety - then I'm afraid the wolf is going to get the worst end of the deal if I have a way to make that happen.

edit on 30-1-2012 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DankKing420

Don't get me started on PITA...this thread would be full of my posts, deleted by the MODS, for language alone....

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Ops4Ops

Time for this bear hunter to gear up!
I for one am happy for this. Those wolves always get the bait before the bears...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Hi fellow Minnesotan!

I have watched the MN dept of fish and game tinker with our ecology for several years trying to change things and it always seems to backfire. It is much like removing dead wood from the forest or controlled burns.
if we had just left all of these things alone in the first place we wouldn't have to do the things we do now to try to fix and control.

In the case of wolves, they outlawed wolf hunting because the timber wolf was becoming endangered due to hunting and encroachment by humans. The deer flourished without hardly any natural predators.Then there were to many deer, so the dept of F&G had to start feeding the deer and up hunting limits because they would starve during tough winters, and as anyone who lives in MN knows, we get very tough winters. The wolf population started to spring back fast after wolf hunting was outlawed,there were plenty of deer again, but the balance in nature had already been upset. The equilibrium of the forest is off.
Now it has come full circle, and the deer are almost gone, and the wolves are back.
It is like a feedback loop, and all we seem to be able to do is tip the scales one way or another but not balance everything out.

I remember one year they set loose this nasty black fly to keep the army worm population down, and it worked, but for a few years after, there were so many of these damn flies, and they bit, that they never released them again. It was so bad that no matter where you would go, those flies were coating everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in the woods.

So, as I see it, I understand why they have to do it, but it sucked that it has to be done.
Wolves are beautiful animals! Smart, cunning, and very wild.
I have much respect for the wolf and would never shoot one myself.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Hello other Minnesotans!

Being from Minnesota, I am close to the twin cities, I don't really see a problem with the wolves, but prolly up north there are far worse problems with them. Interesting they are still considering this. Thought I would pop in and say Hi to the other Minnesotans!

-SAP-

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ops4Ops

We had a Wolf killing pets here in the Anchorage area last year. They finally got it though. Once they loose their natural fear they are dangerous to pets.

The problem with overpopulation is they will wipe out other animals like Deer, Elk and Moose. I don't think they pose much risk to us, but to pets they can wreak havoc. If they stop staying out of sight in populated areas it's time to be on guard for sure.

Often it seems those who have never been around wildlife don't understand. They fail to understand that if you don't control the Wolves they will wipe out other wild animals. As the herds get smaller they switch from sick and old animals to having to kill the healthy breeding stock and then they become a danger to the herds.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I noticed last hunting season there was no deer around..Im glad there going to allow this the wolf population is out of control were im at.. I raise cattle for a liveing and the wolf population is comeing closer and closer to my farm animals ive even had to chain my dogs up so they cant run out of the yard..I feel threatened by these beautiful animals they have no fear anymore of being up close to my farm animals..I will apply for a tag to shot one even takeing out 400 isnt enough to clear the problem around here..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I totally agree with you! I know that its the circle of life and all, but when one species starts wiping out the other things aren't balanced anymore. Then that's when things get out of sorts and things have to happen, like this wolf hunting season, if it gets the GO. Which is sad cause you don't wanna have to kill any animal, but it seems it will have to be done.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Thanks for all the updates. We hear so many things day to day about this, its hard to keep up!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Any more word on Wolf Season?
I haven't heard anything myself.
I would really like to cut down this thick population...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Sooo, the natural order of nature is restored. That means it's time to murder the wolves.

Gotcha.

Based on that logic there should be a season for humans.

top topics

join